Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chapel3e

30-inch Gas Range: GE Cafe, Thermador, KitchenAid, Monogram?

chapel3e
9 years ago

I THOUGHT I'd narrowed my 30-inch Gas range choices to: GE Cafe, Thermador, KitchenAid, Monogram. Stillâ¦.remain skeptical about Monogram based on posts here and elsewhere, but the appliance dealer says they've been no less reliable than any other brand. My wife ruled out Wolf because she feels the oven cavity is too small. Viking was a non-starter because virtually everything I read says they are not worth the price. I thought I had it nailed with Electrolux Icon but service issues I've read about made me cast it aside. Am I over thinking this choice? Save me before I research again!

Comments (59)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

bbstx had the same problems in the lower oven. Could someone else on here who owns a Cafe all gas range help him/her out and post pictures of something similar baked in theirs?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

hvtech, my biggest problem is GE doesn't want to own up to the mess that their ovens are. I have been told that if I request another service call, although the product is still in warranty, I will be charged for the call. After the service tech adjusted the thermostat, he says there is nothing else he can do.

I believe it is a design flaw that GE is unwilling or unable to remedy.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Appliancetoday can you give source for these new KA ranges ? I looked all over and don't see anything about new cooking from Kitchenaid coming soon.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Appliancetoday can you give source for these new KA ranges ? I looked all over and don't see anything about new cooking from Kitchenaid coming soon.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

They should be very similar to the new JennAir ranges. I can't see any evidence of them on the website yet, but I have a service manual I lists all the models, features, and specs coming out later this year. I've linked the first part of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 2015 Whirlpool Maytag KitchenAid JennAir Ikea Slide In Job Aid Section 1

• dccurlygirl
    9 years ago

I just came home from an appliance store in my area and the salesman had seen the new KitchenAid line. He shared that on the range, the knobs will be on top (a la JennAir) and that the handles have become a hybrid of the European and Pro styles (whatever that means). On either side of the handles, where they attach to the appliance, there will be small red dots (also available in black or white). His opinion is that they are beautiful pieces. I'm looking forward to the roll out!

This post was edited by dccurlygirl on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 20:05

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I have seen the Whirlpool version of these new slide in ranges and really liked that the gas cooktop seems well proportioned. The burners on these new WP slide ins are also removable.

The only thing I don't get is why they are mounting the controls vertically on these ? Going to need a lot of cleaning with the controls mounted vertically.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

I just realized it would be for safety reasons of course.

I hope Whirlpool will do well with this new lineup . I am liking their double oven ranges more, they seem to be srurdily built, but the cooktops look too shallow front to back . Hope they will modify the cooktops on newer models.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

I just realized it would be for safety reasons of course.

I hope Whirlpool will do well with this new lineup . I am liking their double oven ranges more, they seem to be srurdily built, but the cooktops look too shallow front to back . Hope they will modify the cooktops on newer models.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I have seen the Whirlpool version of these new slide in ranges and really liked that the gas cooktop seems well proportioned. The burners on these new WP slide ins are also removable.

The only thing I don't get is why they are mounting the controls vertically on these ? Going to need a lot of cleaning with the controls mounted vertically.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Sorry for the rest posts

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Hard to type from an Android phone, lol.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Just saw the new kitchenaid slide ins. Very nice indeed. Very clean looking. http://insideadvantage.com/

• centaurs2
    9 years ago

I am very pleased with our LG 3085ST gas range. Might not have the upscale brand name, but I'm OK with that. They make a slide in model as well. It's under their Studio line. Looks nice, works great, plenty of features, good value. I had to request a service call for their OTR microwave, and was impressed by their prompt follow up, and local representation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Studio Appliances

• sjshirley
    9 years ago

This is my first post on this site, although I've been lurking for awhile :) We're just about to start a semi-remodel of our kitchen in a log home. We have been searching for a 30" dual fuel range and were pretty much sold on getting the GE Cafe with matching OTR Convection microwave that is until I stopped at the local KA dealer today.

The model number for the new 30" 5 burner dual fuel convection slide-in range with a baking drawer on the bottom is #KSDB900ESS. There's very little info on the web and only 1 front side picture that I can find. I've done an online chat and a live phone call with KA customer service and no one seems to know much about this as it's so new.

The matching OTR CMW is #KMHC319ESS (both of those are the stainless steel options as that is what we're looking for) Since they are so new there are no reviews to research and I'm leery of being the guinea pig! I'm planning to go to the local dealer again tomorrow to see if they've found more info for me.

MSRP on range is $2949 and $799 for the MW. The one picture I have shows the knobs located on the front, not the top but there must be a touch pad control panel on the top that you can't see from the one and only picture available online.

I'll pass along any more info I find out and would really appreciate it if anyone has more details on this range. I really think we'll bite the bullet and get it since we like to deal with local stores for delivery and service plus it's a small town and we like to support the small business here.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Yes there is a control panel on the top. Whirlpool has uploaded more pictures but they aren't easy to find. Go to my link, then click the "Product Images" tab at the top, then type the model number (KSDB900ESS) in the search box.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool Digital Library

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I don't know of anyone who owns the dual fuel version of this yet, but there was someone on this forum who got the JennAir all-gas version of this range (same thing except for the look and name badge). So far they really like pretty much everything about it except the oven door gets hot, which might not apply to the dual fuel version, or might be an issue with just their range. I'll link their thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: JennAir all gas slide in review

• sjshirley
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link to the extra pictures! We stopped at the local dealer today and he showed us the same pictures and we told him we were ready to order. Now we just have to see how quickly we can get them or we may have to go with the GE Cafe. Fingers crossed because now I've got my heart set on this KA set!

• agardner411
    8 years ago

I purchased the KSDB900ESS over a month ago and will not be here until the end of May

• Eric
    8 years ago

So, I'm curious why it's being listed as "discontinued" on a few sites. Also, I wish I lived within range of Plessers, as their current "10 year warranty" and current pricing would have me off the fence and buying the all gas version of the new Kitchenaid KSGB900ESS

• dreamhouseforsomeday
    8 years ago

I didn't read all the other posts so my apologies if this is repetitive. Quick answer--I'd go with Thermador. Long answers--Regarding the Wolf cavity being too small--I'm assuming you mean small oven?? Smaller ovens are actually kinda nice as they heat up quicker and keep foods moister and heat more evenly, IMHO. Regarding GE--GE Appliance division was recently bought by Electrolux. You may notice how some ads and products r labeled simply with "Monogram" vs "GE Monogram". Not sure how this will effect the quality...I'd say wait and see. I agree with your Viking comments (although, they have recently had some changes to their refrigeration manufacturing, but I'm not sure if the same applies to their cooking divisions. The change to the fridge division is for the better, so you may want to research if the same holds true for Viking cooking)

• jwang918
    8 years ago

agardner411 - Have you received your KSDB900ESS range? If so, how do you like it so far? I'm thinking about ordering it for our new kitchen!

• agardner411
    8 years ago

I have not. Was told at least 2 more weeks. I guess it's production issues.

• agardner411
    8 years ago

I'm in North Carolina and was told these have not even been released yet. What part of the country are you in? Did you purchase from a big box retailer? I'm just trying to figure out if I'm getting the run around from the store I bought it from. I was supposed to have it over a month ago and then told I will have it a week ago and now told it will be be mid June. Thanks

• sjshirley
    8 years ago
    I am in Minnesota.

We found out about the new products in January but there was very little info at that time. It just sounded like what I wanted and based on the very few pictures I could find it looked like what I wanted.

We bought ours from our little local hardware/furniture/appliance store on February 3rd and we were told it would probably be end of April, more likely early May before it would be shipped. I think we got it May 12th. We were supposed to get it a week earlier and the dealer said he was "hoping" we'd get it the next week as they were definitely over sold and have not been able to produce and ship them fast enough to fill the orders. I think we were lucky in that ours was probably one of the first ones actually ordered. I know our dealer made several calls to his KA rep and kept pushing to make sure they shipped ours asap due to our order date. Based on what I've learned, it would not surprise me if orders keep backing up and ship dates get pushed back. We were lucky because we ordered right after dealers were allowed to place orders otherwise I think we would be waiting since our little store is certainly not a high volume dealer.

I hope yours comes soon for you! it's awful to have to wait so long but it's the only range out there on the market like it in that price range.
  • agardner411
    8 years ago

Thanks for the info. A few months back I was considering the dacor or Electrolux professional but after seeing the kitchenaid and it being half the price and seems like it has some really nice features and a larger oven capacity decided to go with it. I paid 2399

• jwang918
    8 years ago

sjshirley, thanks for posting those pictures. They look great in your kitchen! I know you havent had it that long, but have you had any issues with the fan being too loud? And does the pre-heating of the oven take a while? I know these are very subjective questions, but those 2 seem to be general concerns from previous KA models and I was just wondering if they applied to this series as well! Thanks in advance!

• sjshirley
    8 years ago
    No problem. The fan is actually so quiet my husband keeps asking if I'm sure it's on. It does seem like it takes a little while on the pre-heat. I had a very plain Jane KA electric range before this one so I'm not sure if the pre-heat cycle is normal or not. I really like the size of the main oven. It's about the same size as my old oven plus I still have a small second baking oven down below. there are three moveable racks in the big oven and one of them is a glide out rack which is super nice. The lower oven has a nice lift out rack you set your baking dish on to help remove the hot dish. Hope this helps you out!
  • agardner411
    8 years ago

Just delivered yesterday. It does seem like it takes a while to preheat.

• Eric
    8 years ago

agardner411 or sjshirley, does your oven door get hot? We have a little one who is climbing on everything right now and a review I read says the door gets hot. Are either of your ovens all gas? We're looking at the all-gas one only. The hot door issue is really concerning to us. Thanks!

• sjshirley
    8 years ago
    Eric,
    I've only used my oven a few times so far but I can't really remember the door or at least the handle getting unusually hot. We chose the dual fuel version because of reviews saying the gas oven version wasn't always consistent holding the temperature accurately. I'm sorry I'm not a lot of help since the couple times I've used it I just assumed it was hot, didn't touch the door itself and just used the handle which was not hot.
  • agardner411
    8 years ago

Mine is dual fuel also and I did feel the door when it was at 500 and gets warm but not hot.

• senzer
    8 years ago

Sjshirley -

We have an all gas model on the way. What are your impressions with the new KA model thus far? Did you get any of the other matching appliances?

Thanks!

• jwang918
    8 years ago

We ended up ordering the gas one as well. We also got the matching vent hood too. They've both been delivered to the house but wont be installed for a few weeks. Will report back!

• senzer
    8 years ago
    Jwang -

Same here. Also got the fridge and dw. Look forward to seeing them and I'll share as soon as mine are in!
  • sjshirley
    8 years ago
    Senser,
    So far I like, but don't love the gas range. I think it looks very nice and we also bought the matching OTR microwave. The handle on the microwave door gets extremely hot when you use the front right burner of the stove top. That's probably normal for all set ups like this but I didn't think about it before I ordered them. I baked a cobbler the other day in the lower baking drawer at 350° and next time I'll put a thermometer in there to check the actual temp as it took longer than the recipe called for but did brown nicely. I don't think the oven doors get very hot which others wondered about.

Probably the most unexpected thing about this range is that it's difficult for me to see into the pots on the back burners. I'm only 5'2" so for those of us not blessed with long legs it can be a stretch to see what's going on in a tall pot on the back of the stove :) The grates do seem to sit quite high.

Overall I am happy with it and my husband really loves it, but he's 6'2" :-)
  • rkg4422
    8 years ago

For those who have the dual fuel KA and the OTR microwave:

1. How much space do you have between the top of the grates and the bottom of the OTR mic?

2. How difficult is it to move the roller racks up and down? For example, if you want to put the roller rack on the bottom/move to top rack? The mechanism looks a bit complex in the photos...

1. Any comments on the griddle? Easy to use/wash/remove? Nice non-stick finish?

2. Any comments on KA customer service/warrantee issues?

Thanks!

• sjshirley
    8 years ago
    rkg4422

I have 18" from my top grate to the bottom of the OTR microwave. I'm 5'2" and I do have a hard time seeing into the microwave and reaching the back of it to clean it.

It's not hard at all to move the racks around in the oven. The roller/glide rack is just like a regular oven rack. You just have to be sure to get the racks booked in the back of the oven, but very easy.

We have not tried the griddle yet not have we had to use customer service, thank goodness.
  • hlindablack
    8 years ago

Sjshirley... What microwave did you purchase? We are seriously considering buying this range but not sure about which microwave to purchase. Do you like your microwave? We also want to purchase a refrigerator. Did you also purchase a refrigerator? Dishwasher? Thank you for any help!

• agardner411
    8 years ago

Griddle works as expected.

• rkg4422
    8 years ago

thanks for info!

• HerrProfessorDoktor
    8 years ago

FYI these new kitchenaid ranges are nearly identical to the new Jenn Air slide in ranges. A few slight mostly aesthetic differences such as knob placement.

• AreBe
    8 years ago

Just bought this weekend a Thermador dual fuel 30". Considered the much cheaper entry level Kitchen Aid, (at or about $2,500 perfectly fine product for money I assume- but 1, had 'steam bake' seemed like gimmick, 2, baking drawer looked somewhat flimsy and was decidedly not a storage drawer, 3, first year production - I have had problems with that in the past) . KA perfectly fine, the mid -level of the Whirlpool brand with Jenn Air above it. KA very highly regarded by Consumer Reports. Peculiar fatal problem for KA for me was a touchpad control viz dial control found on Monogram and Thermador. The stovetop is the business end for me, and I think the star shaped burners etc. and the stovetop are superior on the Thermador. Fewer electronics on the Thermador too. I looked at Wolf as an archetype to measure other stoves by, but it was $2,000 more than the Thermador. So, went for the Thermador

• dreamhome40
    8 years ago

Considering KSDB900ESS range. Any more info from those who recently started using this range. Anyone own the new frig? french door 5 doors.

• Kayla
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi @SJShirley & all, I'm so happy I found this thread, as some of you have now had your KA ranges for about 6 months mentioned here, wondering any updates or if you're still happy? We are debating between the all gas vs. dual fuel slide in. We have to hook up gas to the area either way... Thank you! Also, wondering if anyone got a new matching fridge at the same time or just went with a different brand all together? We need countertop depth... Thanks!

• agardner411
    8 years ago

Have the dual, love it overall and looks great, only complaint is the time it takes for the oven to preheat.

• senzer
    8 years ago

Kayla - we went with the fridge, DW, range - let me know what questions you have.

• sjshirley
    8 years ago

Hi Kayla - overall I like the dual fuel range. My husband loves the digital meat thermometer that came with it and we've made the best prime rib roasts since we've gotten this oven. The pre-heat does take awhile but we've gotten used to it. I've made cookies and they turn out great. We have also started using the lower oven more if we're baking something in a shallow dish, frozen garlic bread, rolls and etc. because it doesn't take as long to heat up.

We've used the griddle to make sandwiches and pancakes and I'm happy with how that works and the easy clean up.

I would say the stove top is easy to scratch if you aren't careful when you clean around the burners. Make sure you lift the grates up, off and set aside to clean and not just lift the front of the grates so you can wipe underneath. You'll scratch the little raised lip on the back of the stove top with the burner grates. I'm still not crazy about the overall height of the stove top but that's not really a fault. My husband on the other hand (6'2" tall) LOVES the dual range and all of it's features. He would highly recommend it to everyone. I like it.

We also bought the matching over the range microwave. We bought it because you can bake in it and I thought we would really use that feature a lot but have found it takes a really long time to pre-heat the oven feature of the microwave and you have to use this little round raised baking rack which I have very few dishes that will fit, actually none now that I think about it. I thought it would be more like my old toaster/convection oven that sat on my counter top and it's really not at all. For the most part we just use the microwave to re-heat and warm things.

I hope this helped

• Kayla
    8 years ago

Thanks for all of the great info, everyone! so helpful. We are sold on the range :) @senzer, are you liking the fridge as well? which one did you get? We need the countertop depth, and visually it would be great for them to match but we really care about it lasting/performance the most in this case.