Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacious counter depth and we can still afford food...?

Posted by seekingsun (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 20:31

Hi folks,

We just bought a new (old) house that needs lots of TLC. We are leaving the retro kitchen (avocado green steel cabinets!) in place for now since it is basically the nicest thing in the house. Although fridges used to be made much smaller back in the 1950s...We need a counter depth to accommodate the shallow cabinets, and will already need to remove the overhead cabinet. We are open to taking out a set of cabinets to accommodate more width if needed. Main request is I want a big freezer because I don't really have a good spot for a separate deep freeze. Actually don't want ice or water in the door. Either freezer configuration is fine. And like I said, everything needs fixing in the house so a $8000 Sub Zero is unfortunately out of the picture!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spacious counter depth and we can still afford food...?

Seeing that nobody else has jumped in here, I'll try to respond.

Most people would see "spacious" counter depth" and "big freezer" as mutually exclusive requirements.

So, what do you think of as "spacious?" !8 cu. ft.? 22 cu. ft?

What would be a big freezer to you?

I know you don't want to spend $8k on a SZ, but what kind of budget did you actually have in mind?

o
RE: Spacious counter depth and we can still afford food...?

Many readers here report Liebherr as a less pricier alternative to SZ. True counter depth, fully built in with paneled and free standing options as well. Smaller apartment sized units in the 2-3K range, 30 and 36 in units 4-6K range on up depending on configuration.

Other than that, E'lux has nice looking and solid feeling drawers and slides compared to Kitchenaid which on the inside is less so, IMO.

I've recently been looking for a CD, bottom freezer fridge. I wanted one door, without external water and ice and not stainless. Good luck. I failed. I'm adjusting my expectations, after not having much luck in the under 3.5K range.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here