Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junglegirl_gw

Help Please! Slide in range doesn't fit??

junglegirl
9 years ago

Help please!!! I bought a range and thought I did all the measurements but didn't take into account the plastic lip/notch that's part of the front console (not sure what it's called). Because of this lip, I can't push the range completely back so that it's flush with the wall. Any handy men or women out there who know what to do?!?!

Comments (15)

• gigelus2k13
    9 years ago

How much clearance is missing? 1/8", more? It's obvious that the extra space must be created somehow, by either grinding down the granite (the wood cabinets will be easy to adjust) or, if it's about a small spacing issue and you're not squeamish, file down the plastic lip.

How about the oven door, is it oversized too?

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

In general, slide-ins don't go against the back wall. There is usually a space filled in with a strip of counter top. That 'lip' is as far back as it goes. But it does depend on how much overhang you have with your counter tops. I think the ruling measurement is that the oven opening (with the door open) should be flush or a bit proud of the adjoining cabinet face. Else heat from the oven can ruin your cabinets.

Once that measurement is known, you can determine if you need to cut down your granite a bit, depending on the overhang.

• weissman
    9 years ago

I think weedmeister hit the nail on the head - slide-in ranges don't go all the way in - you need a strip of countertop behind the range. You can either get a strip of granite or something else, possibly from the range manufacturer

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

You don't NEED a strip of countertop behind the range. I didn't have that when I replaced my slide in recently so I used a filler strip from the manufacturer. The new Bosch slide ins, on the other hand, are designed to replace freestanding ranges I believe, meaning you cannot have countertop behind them.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

From the controls it looks like it may be one of the newer samsung slide-ins and those do go all the way back--they're designed to replace standalone ranges:

Here is a link that might be useful: samsung slide-ins for upgrades

• weissman
    9 years ago

oops - sorry (maybe) - I hadn't heard about these new slide-ins but I can't tell if that's the case here.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

^Well as it's not just the new slide ins that don't need counter behind. As I said, the manufacturers sell filler strips that can be used instead, which is what I did.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>. As I said, the manufacturers sell filler strips that can be used instead, which is what I did.

Sorry, but that's not what I meant at all. if you look at the link you can see that the samsung ranges are designed to go all the way to the wall once they're installed. There is no place to put anything behind them.

• xedos
    9 years ago

Hey block - the op doesn't have a new Samsung !

So while your link is pretty, it's not really relevant to this discussion.

Many of those slide ins require a notch in the countertop like 2k13 suggests.

Hvtech- you're right - one doesn't "NEED" a filler strip. Just like one doesn't need a range, or a car, or ......

But they are really nice to have , and better looking than a hole, or the bus , or ......

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

You're all misunderstanding my point. All I was trying to do was correct a statement earlier in the thread that you NEED a countertop strip behind a slide in. No you don't. You can either:

-Buy a range such as Bosch or apparently the Samsung that is designed to replace a freestanding range

OR

-Buy a filler strip kit from the manufacturer

In either case, you don't need countertop behind the range and there won't be a big hole there.

Anyhow I don't really think this is relevant because it definitely looks like the OP's range is sticking out a little bit too far, but as has been already said she should still expect a hole back there when done that needs to be filled in.

• weissman
    9 years ago

hvtech42 - I think your misunderstood me - what I originally said that started this was:

>>>you need a strip of countertop behind the range. You can either get a strip of granite or something else, possibly from the range manufacturer

what you're referring to as a filler, I was referring to as a strip - either the same material as the countertop or a filler strip from the manufacturer - we're saying the exact same thing.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Oops! You're right, my bad.

• xedos
    9 years ago

Tech - while some of us may have got your intent, many people who come later and read this would have been thoroughly confused or even lead down the wrong path.

No one is jumping you.

• 2christene
    7 years ago

junglegirl

Wonder if you found a way to fix your dilemma.