Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildta_gw

Advice on getting the best appliance package price?

wildta
9 years ago

I'd like to gather some advice on how to obtain the best prices on a package of appliances for a complete remodel. So far I've shopped my package to two local dealers and the prices are the exact same at both.

Do the manufacturers control the pricing with most appliances? Both have said they will match/beat any lower price but what's the point if everyone is charging the same price everywhere?

I suppose I could work on the shipping and install fees but those are most likely minimal compared to the appliance costs.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!

This post was edited by wildta on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 20:12

Comments (4)

• plllog
    9 years ago

There's a price floor for a lot of the higher end appliances. That means that the dealer is required to hold to a minimum price. It's not price fixing because it's a contract with the supplier, rather than collusion between stores, or something like that. Also, because of price matching they don't want to give you a quote that you can use to bite them with.

This is where you start negotiating. A whole kitchen full of appliances is a big chunk of change, even if it's at a moderate price point. Get your designer or contractor to let you put their license number to the purchase and ask for the trade discount. If you're doing it all yourself, tell them that you want the trade discount for yourself. This works best at independents rather than big chains where the management doesn't have authority.

If that doesn't work, ask for a discount anyway. While they can't charge you less than the floor for any particular appliance, they can offer you a discount off the total. If that doesn't work, ask for the dishwasher for free. And the services you mentioned.

And if you're female and shapely, and don't mind being distracting...

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Lower your specs if you want lower prices. These are wants, not needs. If they are above your budget, then stop perusing Houzz and scale down to lower priced brands.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

I actually do not agree about the "trade" prices. My contractor offered to get my kitchen appliances with his contractor discount, and his prices were still higher than what I found when I went to the stores and asked them to give me their best price.

Also, the OP omitted the essential piece of information. What brands of appliances s/he is looking at. If the appliances are Wolf, Gaggenau or Miele, these manufacturers do not permit their retailers to offer discounts. There is no discount available on these. However, you can get your "discount" in non-cash ways with these brands by asking for things like free delivery and installation, or extensions on the warranties, or to throw in a microwave or disposal for free with the package (these high-end brands do not make their own microwaves, just re-badge Sharp or Panasonic, so no point in paying for the high-end name on the microwave). Don't expect you will get all of these non-cash discounts, but you should be able to get one of them.

If instead you are looking at, e.g., any of the Whirlpool brands (Kitchenaid, Whirlpool, Amana, Jenn-Air), or the Electrolux brands, or Samsung or the like, there should be room for negotiation. If you cannot get the stores to go any lower on these brands, either try shopping on the internet for your appliances, or accept that you have the lowest price available.

Remember that your appliance salesperson has to put food on the table too. Don't nickel-and-dime him/her down to the last penny.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We bought all our appliances except the oven from Pacific Sales. We got as good an overall deal as the internet prices I was seeing. They couldn't/wouldn't discount the Thermador fridge, so they discounted everything else instead -- Bosch induction cooktop, Zephyr hood, Bosch dishwasher, Sharp microwave drawer.