Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seashine

induction cooktop over wall oven

seashine
10 years ago

I'm interested in the possibility of putting an induction cooktop over a wall oven mounted below the cooktop. I've been told that it works better if both units are the same brand, i.e. GE wall oven has a rear space for the induction cords. Is this true? Are there any reasons I should reconsider? I'm thinking about doing it because our kitchen is very small and it seems like a way to simplify gaps and spaces that would otherwise exist if using a range.

Comments (13)

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

There have to be dozens of threads discussing these points and they will give you a broader range of infor than I can. But briefly:

1. There is no reason you cannot mix brands if you want to. You just have to read the installation specs and make sure you have proper clearance between the bottom of the cooktop and top of the oven, and proper venting for the cabinet. If you are having trouble finding the previous dicussions on this subject, sometimes it helps to go out to google and do a search that inclueds "Gardenweb" in your search string.

2. Reasons to reconsider? What comes to my mind is the possible need for electrical upgrades which may some additional cost or maybe really expensive. What kind of electrical service and wiring do you have now?. Many induction ranges need 40 amp service which is typical for electric stoves. When you separate you oven and cooktop, the specified power requirements rise to 60 to 70 amp service. That may require bigger circuit breakers in your electrical panel (which may or may not be able to accomodate them) and may require electrical cable to the kitchen (which may be easy r hard -- meaning costly or very expensive -- depending on how the existing wiring is set up, how accessible the space for running wire is, and etc.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

I built a Bosch induction cooktop over a Bosch wall oven in a small kitchen. It achieved my goal of making the space appear larger with everything recessed. These pieces are also easier to clean than a separate range. As the above poster said, I had to have a separate electrical line run for the cooktop. One other wrinkle was that with my cabinets (Kraftmaid) the counter had to be raised one inch higher to provide the space required between the two appliances. A 1" spacer strip was added to the cabinet tops with applied molding added to the front to hide the line of the addition.

• Barbarav
    10 years ago

I would love to replace the 1980s coil top range in my kitchen with a new induction range, but none of them have the characteristics of the Bosch 30" cooktop that I love so much- timers for each burner, instant control vs the +/-, wattage, sleek simple design, and great reviews. Laat2, you say that there are more slide in induction ranges today, but to my knowledge there are still only 2! The ge and Electrolux. Oh and the wolf (beauty but over my budget) Anyway, thanks JW and Texasgal for the info on the electrical requirements. I really don't get why it's taking manufacturers so long to bring induction to the forefront of public awareness in the US and get some decent slide in ranges on the market.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Add Dacor and Frigidaire to your list, but I doubt they have the individual timers you're looking for.

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

One reason for slow moves into induction ranges in the US are all the financial risks involved in "going big" for mass production of what is now considered a premium priced niche item. Also, natural gas has never been more competitive as an option. There are various patent holders who must be dealt with to permit certain desirable features to be in the product you want to sell. Research and future planning expenditures to stay in the game with your own patent protection program. There is the opposite risk that in the years to come as patents expire, companies in Asia will ramp up production and totally saturate overseas markets with good product at rock bottom prices, leaving your investment in scrap value territory.
    And on and on.

This post was edited by laat2 on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 11:47

• Barbarav
    10 years ago

laat, I was talking with someone from Japan who tells me they've come up with an induction model that utilizes pans of any metal. They will not let the thing out of the country via internet or direct sales. I think what I'm stymied by is the accessibility, choices, and reasonable pricing of induction in Europe and elsewhere. And some of the same companies manufacturing items overseas do not sell the same items here in the US? I don't buy the part about the expiring patents. People want solid appliances and are willing to pay decent money for them if they perform and last. There will always be people who go for cheap and not care about specific features of a product. So be it. This is America. There should be choices for everyone! If you make a good product people will continue to buy your product.

• seashine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all! I think I've changed my mind (again) and decided to go with an induction range. I read in another thread about a new Whirlpool induction range with double ovens (Model WGI925C0BS). I think it's new. Even if it's only mediocre, the configuration would be perfect for us. A double oven (one small / one big) and and induction cooktop is what we wanted all along.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool double oven induction top

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

There is apparently also going to be a Maytag version of the Whirlpool two oven induction range as well.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see a slide in version in the future too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maytag two oven induction

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Seashine, yes, that Whirlpool ind range looks wonderful. It gives a lot of function bang for small spaces. Those ovens look great-think Thanksgiving. With decent counter space, could be ideal. I think it's a much better idea than an undercounter oven, far, far better. That top oven could be a terrific pizza or bread oven. Smaller is better for lots of stuff and less heat in summer. Less bending.

Keep asking and keep reading on these forums-before you make choices.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Seashine, yes, that Whirlpool ind range looks wonderful. It gives a lot of function bang for small spaces. Those ovens look great-think Thanksgiving. With decent counter space, could be ideal. I think it's a much better idea than an undercounter oven, far, far better. That top oven could be a terrific pizza or bread oven. Smaller is better for lots of stuff and less heat in summer. Less bending.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

• PRO
    Laurie Brasnett
    8 years ago

Its 2105, induction has improved since this thread begun. The selection in slide in and freestanding ovens has actually decreased for North American product since this tread started.

I am looking for some good information on ventilation for the cooktop over BI oven. The oven came with directions that seem simple enough but calls for a vent gap in the front between oven and cooktop. Never seen or heard of this before. Fair enough -we always are learning and growing. The appliance manufactures make suggestions but do not follow through in explanations and call centres are woefully uninformed also.

After much deliberation, we will raise the oven up to create a natural and larger hidden air gap along the entire top edge and trim out just the sides and bottom. Seems counterintuative but upon closer inspection, the cooktop and oven each have a built in air circulation space. Thought I would share this with you to save your time also. The finish is so important when it involves safety issues too.

To answer the original question: yes use the same manufacturer if possible. You can mix brands and still have the same manufacturer. They have lists of compatibility.

In today's world you are going to need to upgrade an older kitchen sooner or later. Increasingly, many municipalities are enforcing upgrades to electrical code and not grandfathered in. If you can afford a separate induction cooktop, you can afford the extra to run a second 40 amp service. If not you are limited by the slidein and freestanding offerings. Upgrading you kitchen electrical by a qualified electrician will make your kitchen function better. Peace of mind is worth it.