Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
induction cooktop over wall oven

Posted by seashine (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 20:06

I'm interested in the possibility of putting an induction cooktop over a wall oven mounted below the cooktop. I've been told that it works better if both units are the same brand, i.e. GE wall oven has a rear space for the induction cords. Is this true? Are there any reasons I should reconsider? I'm thinking about doing it because our kitchen is very small and it seems like a way to simplify gaps and spaces that would otherwise exist if using a range.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: induction cooktop over wall oven

There have to be dozens of threads discussing these points and they will give you a broader range of infor than I can. But briefly:

1. There is no reason you cannot mix brands if you want to. You just have to read the installation specs and make sure you have proper clearance between the bottom of the cooktop and top of the oven, and proper venting for the cabinet. If you are having trouble finding the previous dicussions on this subject, sometimes it helps to go out to google and do a search that inclueds "Gardenweb" in your search string.

2. Reasons to reconsider? What comes to my mind is the possible need for electrical upgrades which may some additional cost or maybe really expensive. What kind of electrical service and wiring do you have now?. Many induction ranges need 40 amp service which is typical for electric stoves. When you separate you oven and cooktop, the specified power requirements rise to 60 to 70 amp service. That may require bigger circuit breakers in your electrical panel (which may or may not be able to accomodate them) and may require electrical cable to the kitchen (which may be easy r hard -- meaning costly or very expensive -- depending on how the existing wiring is set up, how accessible the space for running wire is, and etc.

o

I built a Bosch induction cooktop over a Bosch wall oven in a small kitchen. It achieved my goal of making the space appear larger with everything recessed. These pieces are also easier to clean than a separate range. As the above poster said, I had to have a separate electrical line run for the cooktop. One other wrinkle was that with my cabinets (Kraftmaid) the counter had to be raised one inch higher to provide the space required between the two appliances. A 1" spacer strip was added to the cabinet tops with applied molding added to the front to hide the line of the addition.

o

This configuration was often used before induction ranges were available. It is still the only game today in cases where a 36" induction cooktop is desired.
The greater choice of slide in induction ranges today gives you a good opportunity to go with something more user friendly than an undercounter wall oven. You can always tidy things up with a new counter.

o

I would love to replace the 1980s coil top range in my kitchen with a new induction range, but none of them have the characteristics of the Bosch 30" cooktop that I love so much- timers for each burner, instant control vs the +/-, wattage, sleek simple design, and great reviews. Laat2, you say that there are more slide in induction ranges today, but to my knowledge there are still only 2! The ge and Electrolux. Oh and the wolf (beauty but over my budget) Anyway, thanks JW and Texasgal for the info on the electrical requirements. I really don't get why it's taking manufacturers so long to bring induction to the forefront of public awareness in the US and get some decent slide in ranges on the market.

o

Add Dacor and Frigidaire to your list, but I doubt they have the individual timers you're looking for.

o

One reason for slow moves into induction ranges in the US are all the financial risks involved in "going big" for mass production of what is now considered a premium priced niche item. Also, natural gas has never been more competitive as an option. There are various patent holders who must be dealt with to permit certain desirable features to be in the product you want to sell. Research and future planning expenditures to stay in the game with your own patent protection program. There is the opposite risk that in the years to come as patents expire, companies in Asia will ramp up production and totally saturate overseas markets with good product at rock bottom prices, leaving your investment in scrap value territory.
And on and on.

This post was edited by laat2 on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 11:47

o

laat, I was talking with someone from Japan who tells me they've come up with an induction model that utilizes pans of any metal. They will not let the thing out of the country via internet or direct sales. I think what I'm stymied by is the accessibility, choices, and reasonable pricing of induction in Europe and elsewhere. And some of the same companies manufacturing items overseas do not sell the same items here in the US? I don't buy the part about the expiring patents. People want solid appliances and are willing to pay decent money for them if they perform and last. There will always be people who go for cheap and not care about specific features of a product. So be it. This is America. There should be choices for everyone! If you make a good product people will continue to buy your product.

o

Thanks all! I think I've changed my mind (again) and decided to go with an induction range. I read in another thread about a new Whirlpool induction range with double ovens (Model WGI925C0BS). I think it's new. Even if it's only mediocre, the configuration would be perfect for us. A double oven (one small / one big) and and induction cooktop is what we wanted all along.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool double oven induction top

o

There is apparently also going to be a Maytag version of the Whirlpool two oven induction range as well.
Wouldn't be surprised to see a slide in version in the future too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maytag two oven induction

o

Seashine, yes, that Whirlpool ind range looks wonderful. It gives a lot of function bang for small spaces. Those ovens look great-think Thanksgiving. With decent counter space, could be ideal. I think it's a much better idea than an undercounter oven, far, far better. That top oven could be a terrific pizza or bread oven. Smaller is better for lots of stuff and less heat in summer. Less bending.

Keep asking and keep reading on these forums-before you make choices.

o

Seashine, yes, that Whirlpool ind range looks wonderful. It gives a lot of function bang for small spaces. Those ovens look great-think Thanksgiving. With decent counter space, could be ideal. I think it's a much better idea than an undercounter oven, far, far better. That top oven could be a terrific pizza or bread oven. Smaller is better for lots of stuff and less heat in summer. Less bending.

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here