Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kailleanm

Microwave door options?

kailleanm
16 years ago

Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to get a microwave that opens to the right, rather than the left? Any models that allow you to switch hinges or that come with this as an option?

I have limited space to put a MW and with them opening to the left, it will be very awkward where I want to put it.

TIA

Comments (15)

• kailleanm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Weird isn't it. You'd think left handed people would be clamoring for it.

I guess I'll just have to do the bend and twist to get to it. Either that or forget a MW. I haven't had one for the last 7 years and can't say I've missed it much.

• toomuchstuph
    16 years ago

And if I might add the ones that open down like a breadbox and are part of a built in are NOT the most well thought out appliance either! My aunt recently had to replace her oven stack. MW with breadbox style door is on the top. Aunt is maybe 4'10" on a good day. She has to stand on a stool to take things in and out of the MW. Because of the door being open she has to stand further back and can't reach far enough into the MW. I'm 5'5" and it was a bit of a reach for me.

• amirak
    16 years ago

just wondering if you ever found that microwave...I am looking for the same thing. It seems that the ones that open like a bread bos are intended to be built in and come with too many bells and whistles which of course increases the price. Any updates on the dilemna???

• bino1952
    13 years ago

Here is a microwave that lifts open. Might be a solution.

http://www.irawoods.com/Miele-MLT4601-Microwave-Lift-Door-60cm-Clean-Touch-Steel

• sandmaneo
    13 years ago

I have found a dual door opening microwave, i think this solves everyone's needs.
    Kenmore Elite Stainless Steel 30 in. Microhood Combination
    : Sears Item# 02288523000 : Model# 88523

Here is a link that might be useful: Dual opening door microwave

• antss
    13 years ago

gellchom - before you make such an empahtic statement as "They do NOT exist." you'd better do your homework. In addition to sandmaneo's clever microhood, Gaggenau makes a right hinged convection microwave. It is not available in the USA unless you want to import one yourself from Europe and they are very expensive-$2k +.

The micro hood is not really suitable for building into cabinetry, and the Miele lift door that bino linked is just a door, you place your own microwave behind it (think cabinet door).

Another option no on mentioned is the drop down door microwave. Both Miele microwaves are that way. Electrolux make one , and so does Sharp. All need to be built in except the Sharp, which can be freestanding. That model may have been discontinued though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharp's drop down door

• colin3
    13 years ago

Before piling on gellcohm we might note that "do NOT exist" was from three years ago, and that in the meantime we have discovered precisely *one* true open-to-the-right microwave, the Kenmore 88523 noted above.

There are indeed several drop-downs, and some combination ovens with different options.

• bishop8
    13 years ago

I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for (and it probably costs more to boot), but how about a microwave drawer? It'll clear some counter space, but you'll lose a drawer or two. I've linked to Sharp's offering below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharp microwave drawer

• antss
    13 years ago

Gaggenau's was around back then. The Kenmore is not new this year, but I'm not certain it was around in 08'

• fish2well_yahoo_co_uk
    13 years ago

I've been researching the drop down doors today and Whirpool are offering two models in there current range which can be used as either built in or free-standing product. As in previous posts, these have many features and cost around �300. THe models are Jt366 and Jt369.

For half this price, Whirpool are also making a compact model, much smaller than standard called the Max 25rg among other retailers, this is currently available through Comet and could help if space your main consideration.

• mjvbryan
    13 years ago

I have the drop down door microwave. I am 4'11" and it's a pain. I also need a stool to clean it, and I have to pull out the food and set it on the counter so I can see if it's cooked/defrosted, etc. For me it's just as bad as having the micro over the stove. My husband is 6'11" and of course doesn't have a problem. Never again.

• lmazarian_aol_com
    12 years ago

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02288523000P Yes there IS a dual opening door, it opens BOTH right and left handed on the same model. It's also got a 600 cfm fan. I haven't seen a counter model, but this one sure fits the bill for me.!

Here is a link that might be useful: sears microwave dual direction opening

• lynmoran622
    8 years ago

I'm gutted I cant get a right hand microwave in the UK, really odd in this day and age? Sounds more promising in the US :)

• gellchom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well, there's this, but evidently still nothing for the U.S.:

http://www.bosch-home.com/za/products/cooking/microwaves/HMT72G450.html?source=browse