Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House Monitoring System

Posted by aliris19 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 19:33

Who's got a house monitoring system they'd be willing to share information and pictures (and anecdotes) about?

This is such a large subject, I've been very reluctant to broach it. But especially for houses left alone in a cold climate, it's an important topic.

But also, as noted in a separate thread, these devices can potentially be very useful for monitoring electrical appliances, which would in some cases free a homeowner to leave their house with appliance running, rather than stay put until the appliance is through its cycle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House Monitoring System

I just put in an Ecobee thermostat a few weeks ago now and it is Wi-Fi enabled so you can control and monitor it online. If you are looking just to control temps for a house in a cold climate that is a good option. It is not cheap, but it does a great job so far. There are cheaper options out there, but since I haven't used those I can't comment on them.

o
RE: House Monitoring System

My BIL had a monitor, wired in to the local fire/police dept, that alerted them if the temperature in their lake/summer cottage (vacation home) went below a certain temp. (no burglar monitor, just the temp) It turned out to be a brilliant idea.

A few years ago, several of the 30+ y/o water pipes in the baseboard heating system finally burst, from either mineral buildup or age, and spewed water all over the house for three days. The monitoring system called his cell phone (He had given them multiple contact #s.) He was out of the country on vacation and had to cut it short.
It was Spring, or the temp would have gone down faster and the alarm would have sounded a day or two earlier with less damage, but at least he had the alarm/monitoring.

The house had to be gutted, and was an excellent opportunity for them to remodel, since he planned to live in it full-time after retirement, which is the case right now. Without the monitor, the house would probably have been 100% ruined from all the water spewing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here