Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Star burners are chipping?

Posted by bumpyroad (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 19:30

Hi all,
I got my 36" BS RNB range a few months ago and love it. After having it a few weeks the installer (who happened to be part owner of the appliance store) came back to plumb the door. I asked him about the white marks all over the tops of the burners that look like scrape marks. He took a photo and said he would ask around. Got a call saying he sent the photo to BS and they were sending me all new burners! Ok, great but now after one week, the new ones have the same white scrape marks. Just for perspective - I use cast iron pans sometimes and they dont have white scrape marks at all after years of use. I remember reading somewhere on this site about problems with BS burners but cant find the post now. Anyone with insight?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Star burners are chipping?

Are these marks on the burners or the grates?
Since nothing comes in contact with the burners, I'm not sure how scrape marks would develop there.
If the marks are on the grates, then they're most likely coming from the underside of your pots & pans.
Could you post a picture?

o

Sorry I mean the grates on top where the pans hit. I will post a pic when I figure out how to do it. But it's not coming off the pans because they are cast iron too. And after years of use, sliding my cast iron pots and pans around, there aren't any white marks on the bottom of them.

o

I have a mix of commercial pans with a couple of cast iron pans that I use on my CC rangetop. (I know, not a BS.). The tops of my grates aren't black and pretty like when new. Instead, they looked white-ish like they were scraped, not chipped. Basically, they look used. Is that what you mean? I thought that was normal.

o

So, I just looked at my Bluestar grates and I have the same marks.
I use All-Clad cookware so I just assumed the marks were a result of the stainless coming in contact with the grates.
But I don't find it to be a problem and attribute it to normal wear.
Also, I believe, that unlike your cookware, the grates are porcelain coated so that may be the difference.

o

Are you using propane gas?

o

Hi thanks all for your quick responses!
not using propane. We have natural gas. I called it "chipping" because I didnt know how to describe it but yes it's more like scraping. To be honest, it didnt bother me until BS jumped to replace them. I only showed it to the appliance guy to ask, out of curiosity, what it was. But once BS jumped at replacing them, I thought it meant that it was a problem. I know there used to be a problem with the grates but I'm pretty sure I read here that BS is having them made by a different company now and the new company makes them better. I'm not going to worry about it since others have the same scraping. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here