Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintedpeggies

Black spots on gas burners,,,help?

Hi all, I posted the other day about my brand new NXR. I used the back burner for the first time last night to make rice. After, I noticed small black spots on the components that I cannot get clean. I tried baking soda, soap/water, and BKF. Any ideas? Advice? I'm so sad that my brand new range is already spotted.

PS: the burner was on medium, then after boiling, turned to low, using a stainless steel saucepan.

Comments (13)

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here's a pic of what I mean...this was after one use...and AFTER scrubbing!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone have some insight?

• dodge59
    11 years ago

I would try removing it and soaking it in some kind of cleaner for a while, a cleaner that "claims to remove grease".

One of the reason we folks that do not care for cleaning cooktops buy induction, the cooktop never gets hot enough to burn gunk on like that.

I hope soaking it works, otherwise you will just have to join "The Patina Fan Club"!

Gary

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Try a bit of BarKeepers Friend, make a thin slurry of it and soak it, then a paste and rub it.
    Mine rarely gets any spots like this, has a couple of times but they just disappeared mostly.
    I think I have actually cleaned a couple of burners once since I have owned it which is over a year and a half now.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I am just so frustrated that it happened the first time I used it...could there be a defect in the burner? The other 3 are fine...

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Thats not a defect, looks like maybe oil or something.
    Odds are it will disappear on its own after using it, will just burn away.

• gwbasic
    11 years ago

Try rubbing it out with a pinch of barely moist baking soda and a rag. You'll have to remove the burners first and it'll take steady pressure on the spots.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

It looks like something was splattered on it then burned.

• judypr1
    11 years ago

Try a product called Flitz...it worked to get spots off of my satin nickel faucet also worked on my stainless steel sink.

You can find it online, it's a great product to have in the house. Use it very sparingly, just a little on a soft cloth!

• secsteve
    11 years ago

I had the same thing happen with my new Whirlpool the first time I used a plain old frying pan on it. No water, no grease, just cooked scrambled eggs. Tried scrubbing with Bon Ami with no luck. Called Whirlpool and they recommended a product specifically made for this purpose. A waste of $$$ as the product didn't even touch it. Tried BKF and it helped a bit.

While at Lowe's was talking to the guy in the appliance department and he recommend citrusafe BBQ grid and grill cleaner. So far that's been the most helpful. Spray it on and leave it set for a minute or so and then scrub it off. Doesn't get it all, but does the best of anything else so far.

• jscout
    11 years ago

I don't think its a defect either. I'm thinking it might have been machine oil or something like that from the factory. Before you used the burner, it was light enough that you didn't even notice it. But when you used the burner, it got hot enough to "seasoned" the burner like a cast iron pan. If that's the case, acid (lemon juice, vinegar) should work to remove it. Along the line of never making tomato sauce in a cast iron pot, because it will strip the seasoning right off the cast iron. You could also "run" the burner and let it get hot enough to burn off the seasoning. Good luck.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I would try oven cleaner, with the recommended "soak time." It is made for stuff like this.