Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorlady_gw

How do you clean your KitchenAid SS Refrigerator

colorlady
12 years ago

I will tell everyone I know to NOT buy SS appliances. I have a new KA SS french door fridge (and dishwasher)that is a nightmare to clean. No kids here. No water dispenser in the door. I can't believe that we have been suckered into thinking that SS is desirable. It is NOT desireable. I expect that very soon, a new appliance finish that is a breeze to keep clean (like all the old finishes were) and SS will become so last decade. In the meantime, I'm hoping someone has found something that works to remove streaks and fingerprints on their KA fridge. Also, did anyone buy a cleaner from KA? None came complimentary with my appliances. Did it with yours?

Comments (13)

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

I use Weiman spray Cleaner and Polish.
    Then use it with a microfiber cloth made for stainless steel and always rub with the grain of the metal.

http://www.weiman.com/products/steel/cleaner.php

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=680660&storeId=10052&langId=-1

I clean our Stove, Fridge, Dishwasher and Microwave once a week with this cleaner/polish and cloths and it takes about 5-10 minutes total for all 4 appliances and they stay looking like brand new all week.

• weissman
    12 years ago

I use water and paper towels and it cleans up fine - some people use microfiber cloths. My KA fridge and DW have brushed stainless finishes - I've never had a problem cleaning them.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

Been there, done that! Didn't enjoy it even one little Iota!
    That's why my fridge and DW are panelled, not to hide them, as seems "Trendy" now, but to avoid cleaning "Stain Steel"!

Gary

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Clean off any residue from other cleaners (esp oil-based cleaners/polishes); I used BKF on a blue scrub sponge to remove residue from our KA built-in fridge.

After you remove all the residue, you can clean your SS fridge (and other appliances) using a mixture of rubbing alcohol-water (I add lavender essential oil to mine--smells great and has anti-bacterial properties). I spray the mixture on the fridge and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth.

Our fridge has never been easier to clean and keep clean.

• tarheel72
    12 years ago

There are many products you can use, including water and Windex. I personally like the Weiman spray mentioned above. I have a KA frig but it is paneled, only the handles are SS. But I do have the full SS front, hidden controls, KA DW, a KA SS double oven and one of the KA SS microwaves that has the drop down door to match the ovens. All brushed SS, as someone mentioned. I actually find them pretty easy to keep clean. The dishwasher takes the most upkeep but its not a big deal and it looks great. I enjoy giving it a quick rub down every day or so to make it sparkle.

• colorlady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wanted to follow up on my original question. I finally found some micro fiber cloths at B,B&Beyond. I also bought the Weiman spray there. But when I got home and tried cleaning my KA fridge doors with just a dot of dish soap and some water on one mf cloths, and then I wiped it dry with another one.....it came out perfect. I see no need for the Weiman spray. The mf cloths were the solution. Every SS fridge should come with a complimentary one in the vegtable draw. Everything else I used left streaks behind and some things wouldn't even budge finger prints. Amazing.

• fivefootzero
    12 years ago

I use a sponge with Dawn dishsoap on it and then wipe with a microfiber cloth.

Regarding the microfiber cloths, I can't believe how much some people are charging for them. The best ones I have gotten are from Christmas Tree Shops, they're $1 a piece, come in GREAT colors, and wear like iron. And these have the microfiber on BOTH sides, some I have gotten before finding these only have it on one side.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    12 years ago

I have used just about everything. I found that Bayes stainless cleaner and conditioner made my SS Refrig look new. It even helps with finger printing.

• Tim
    12 years ago

I've had KA SS french door fridge and dishwasher in now since the end of May and a dishcloth and water is all we've used to 'clean' the doors of fingerprints etc.

That being said, we use the handles to open and close the doors. We also have a 9 year old daughter who has her friends over and they're always in the fridge.

No problems here.

• nhardy
    12 years ago

So I found on SC Johnson website that I could use Lemon Pledge. So instead of buy Pledge, I got out my Orange Glo. I feel like the Karate Kid waxing that car. Orange Glo, Wipe On with a Bounty & wait ten minites Wipe Off with a clean new Bounty. The only thing I have to clean weekly are the handles. Because the finger prints are oily they hide in the Orange Glo. It's 2 or 3 weeks before I have to clean the entire frig. again.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

"So I found on SC Johnson website that I could use Lemon Pledge. So instead of buy Pledge, I got out my Orange Glo. I feel like the Karate Kid waxing that car. Orange Glo, Wipe On with a Bounty & wait ten minites Wipe Off with a clean new Bounty. The only thing I have to clean weekly are the handles. Because the finger prints are oily they hide in the Orange Glo. It's 2 or 3 weeks before I have to clean the entire frig. again."
    ========================================================

I hope you don't mean the regular "Orange Glo" made for wood floors?
    That stuff will leave a film on your stainless after awhile.

They make a Orange Glo meant for Stainless but I know nothing at all about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Glo Stainless

• Traci White
    3 years ago

I have a Kitchen aid Refrigerator and Dishwasher and they clean up fine and look great.