Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Open box deal or no deal?

Posted by zeitgast (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 18:59

Would you buy an open box range online? Seller claims it was opened for inspection but never used or unpackaged. Also claims that the factory warrantee is valid. I asked for a serial number but they said it isn't in their system.

Sounds fishy but I might be being paranoid. Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Open box deal or no deal?

Be sure to use your credit card. This will provide a fair degree of safety.

o

Have them get the serial number from the product itself and check with the manufacturer or forget it. Yes a credit card will provide a degree of protection but you don't want to deal with shipping back the range if there's a problem. Is the seller an authorized seller of the brand or just "some guy":?

o

eBay shop with a bricks and mortar store. BBB rates them an A

o

I bought an open box cooktop online, perhaps from your same ebay shop. They had a LOT of feedback with a high rate of positives. It came promptly, was wrapped well and did have a full factory warranty which we verified with the manufacturer (Thermador). There was a missing item (sensor strips) which Thermador shipped us when we called. Other than that, it was in perfect, new condition.

Cheryl

o

Thanks all

I won't buy this unless I get the serial #. Can't imagine that is hard to obtain but they told me they don't have it in there system. Grrr shouldn't it be on the box somewhere??

o

I got my cooktop (Thermador) and wall ovens (Gaggenau) through eBay, both open box. I think if the sellers are highly rated and specialize in these types of sales, it's a pretty good indicator of what to expect from them. Read some of the feedback if you are concerned. eBay also provides some degree of protection. There is always some risk involved in this kind of transaction but that should be weighed against the potential savings. I also bought two dishwashers through eBay and one of them needed warranty service right away, which I was able to get through a local dealer. Just be sure to have a receipt as proof of purchase.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here