Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hvtech42

New KA Dishwasher with UltraFine filter module

hvtech42
9 years ago

They have a new dishwasher out now, model KDTM354DSS, which claims to use a self cleaning filter. Supposedly it has all the advantages of a filter compared to a grinder like the lower energy use and quieter operation, but there's no need for removal and cleaning.

Personally I don't get the aversion some people have to filters, as my current dishwasher has one and I never have to clean it. However, I do thoroughly dry scrape dishes before loading. If you don't scrape and don't like to clean filters this might be the dishwasher for you. Whirlpool claims it takes less time than competing filter based dishwashers as well.

Consumer Reports just tested it and rated it #1.

Here is a link that might be useful: KA Ultrafine filter

Comments (7)

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

You can get all the details from KitchenAid's homepage directly (manuals etc.). Typical cycle times range from 80 to 120 minutes and the water consumption isn't bad for an American dishwasher, either. I still can't get over the fact that the normal wash temp is only 105F, though - as with all Whirlpool dishwashers. Even the new Kenmore units with that PowerWave spay arm have these low temps now. Guess hot water is a European thing.

One thing about that filter: I wonder how large the inlet holes really are. Judging from the picture on KA's website, it looks like not even a pea could fit through them and you'd have to pick anything that's larger than a grain of rice out of the dishwasher once the cycle is done.

I hope there's gonna be a model with cutlery tray in the future.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid 24â 6-Cycle Dishwasher with Ultra-Fine Filter, Architect Series II

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

Here's another review by the self-proclaimed "experts" of reviewed.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid Architect Series II KDTM354DSS Dishwasher Review

• hvtech42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One of the reasons I don't give too much weight to these "professional" reviews is they ooh and ahh over gimmicks without any regard to reliability and build quality. Now, I like technology, I'm not want one of those people who wants appliances to be exactly like they were 50 years ago. I think there are some new features that really make appliances do their job better. But some stuff... Not so much.

The Kenmore dishwasher that was rated #1 before they tested this KA had a motorized spray arm. I remember Consumer Reports being all obsessed with how it could reverse if it got blocked. What if it breaks, you won't get clean dishes then! Here's a better idea: load your dishwasher so that the wash arms can turn freely.

Consumer Reports has the tendency of rating different models with exactly the same wash system completely differently. They treat Kenmore like it actually makes things.

The one thing I did like to see is that the Miele Dimension was rated "excellent" in their latest testing round. I remember a while back they thought a Miele model was one of the worst. I bet you any money they have the same wash arm, pump, everything. LOL!

• hvtech42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yeah don't even get me started on how they rated the cheapo Bosch "Ascenta" series with the plastic tub bottom BETTER than the (then) top of the line German made 800 Plus!

• hvtech42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"I still can't get over the fact that the normal wash temp is only 105F, though - as with all Whirlpool dishwashers"

Yes but the Hi Temp wash option fixes that... I've gotta be honest if I owned one of these new models that washed that low I would probably just leave that option engaged all the time. Of course Sani Rinse gets you a hot rinse as well.

Electrolux has moved away from exposed heating elements.on their latest models. However they still have a "heated dry" button. All it does is raise the final rinse temp more for better condensation drying. As well as tricking the people who think that it will actually give them a heated dry :)

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

Hi Temp gets the water up to 140F, which is okay I suppose. Still, I'm used to the 160F wash I can get from my Bosch should I need it.

I noticed that about the Electrolux models as well. There's also an Air Dry option. What's that doing - no heat in the rinse at all? ;-)

Wash with the Cleanest Water (Among leading premium brands)

• hvtech42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Air dry just probably means reduced temps. I find that the 140 degree temps that American dishwashers use (or rather, used to use, lol) gives me fine washing results but the higher temps Europeans get to are better for drying. One good way to get better drying results on American DW's is to use the Sani Rinse option as that will get you at least up to 160 degrees for the final rinse.

Before my GE Profile I had a Hobart made KitchenAid. That machine required that the water heater be set to at least 140 degrees as it did not pause to heat the water and the heater was not powerful enough to do it during the cycle. I got great results, but then again it had a 1/2 horsepower motor. No dishwasher today except the Miele Pro series even gets close to the spray intensity of vintage Hobart KA's, Whirlpool Powercleans, Maytag Jetcleans, etc. 2nd best on the market today is the Maytag line that still has the chopper and the previous generation pump.