Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Le Creuset pots work on an induction stovetop?

Posted by Gatorsmom (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 18:55

I got a few Le Creuset pots for a wedding gift and just love them. They hold heat for a longer time keeping food on our dinner table warmer longer. I also love their lifetime guarantee. And of course they are beautiful. :)

So, we are in the middle of building a home and DH and I really want our cooktop/stovetop in the island. We both hate cooking with our back to the rest of the great room. At first I completely discounted the induction cooktops because I thought my beloved Le Creuset wouldn't work with them. But i just tried it and a magnet will stick to them. Which means I should be able to cook on an induction stove, right? I think that would be an excellent solution because then I could use a lower cfm downdraft, right? Because everything I read says that for "typical" cooking on an induction stovetop, I'd really only need a 600cfm blower. This opens up some more choices for me.

thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Le Creuset pots work on an induction stovetop?

Yes, Le Creuset will work on induction. Any cast iron, bare or enamelled will be fine.

Cheryl

o

Yes on Le Creuset.

Not necessarily on needing a lower CFM. CFM needs are based on your cooking style--the type of machine has very little to do with it. You can spew just as much grease and stink into the air with induction as gas. Less likely to have a fire, but the mess is the same.

o

Over my induction cooktop, I have a Kobe hood rated at 720. I rarely run it on high, so usually it's probably about 400. I don't fry often, but I boil a lot.

Fori's right, of course, about the cooking style thing. But fori, doesn't the gas burner also put off more heat on its own that you'd want to exhaust? I thought some gas ranges specified a recommended cfm, and it was often pretty high.

Regardless, gatorsmom, you should get induction if you would rather have an easy-to-clean cooktop that can also double as counter space. I know fori loves induction, because fori was one of the people who recommended it to me. I love mine. And you already have the right pans!

o

If you are worried about Le Creuset on induction, do a search on "Le Creuset + induction" here and you will find several dozen recent discussions of using LeCeuset with induction. Maybe you read something a few years ago about about the weird problem that some of the Viking induction hotplate units had with Le Creuset cookware? Well, you are not looking at hotplates, so do not worry about that.

Or maybe, you just need personal reassurance that the magnet test works and that Le Crueset works with induction stoves? Okay. It does. Folks in Europe have been using Le Creuset on induction for half a century. Consider yourself reassured.

As for hoods and venting, there are two basic rules of thumb on capacity. For commercial-style and high-btu/premium priced gas stoves --- note that I aid "gas" stoves --- , the generic rule is 1 CFM of venting capacity for every 100 BTU/hr. of burner output. This rule assumes you will often be running 4 or more burners at or close to max power, which may well happen in busy restaurant kitchens but isn't so likely in home kitchens. For everything else, the rule of thumb is 100 CFM per linear foot of cooktop. (So, in theory, that is a 250 cfm hood for an average stove.) Again, for reassurance, you can search on those terms and pull up dozens of discussions that will confirm this for you.

That said, the minumum adequate hood capaccity may not be satisfactory and a a greater capacity is usually desireable if you do much cooking on the stove top.

A good name for searches for discussions of hood is "kaseki." Tons of helpful posts

Again, however, you need to check your local codes and building inspectors. If your local code enforcers say you need a 900 CFM hood or an 18000 CFM hood with a commercial fire-supression make-up-air system for your stove, it does not matter what any of us say. Finding yourself subject to the whims of an unreasonable enforcer is is possible, but it is highly unlikely (unless what you really want is a full blown commercial restaurant stove.)

So, you are worried that 600 CFM might not be enough for you? Do you have specialized needs -- are you planning to run four woks, all on the highest heat setting all at once? Or, maybe you plan on running four large cast-iron skillets searing many steaks on the highest heat all at once? Are you are looking to carbonize rather than caramelize on all four burners? Then you have specialized needs and a 600 CFM hood will not be adequate. Otherwise, a 600 CFM venting solution will be fine for an induction stove.

What will likely prove more important to you is how you run the ducting from the hood/vent unit to the outside. Fewer bends mean better venting. More bends will diminish the capacity. Also, efficiency will affect how annoying the venting noise will be in the adjoining great room that you mentioned. One advantage of the hoods with greater capacity is that the greater capacity can translate to more venting at lower operating speeds which, in turn, may translate to lower noise levels.

Another thing that may affect your choice of hood is how tight your house is sealed and what your local codes/regulators require for make-up air. Installing a very powerful hood in a very tight house can cause backdrafting of CO from the vents for water heaters, furnaces and such. In the US, numbers of local governments have adopted building codes that require make-up air systems when you install vent-hoods with capacities greater than 400 CFM. Check your codes. Folks here often use the abbreviation MUA for "make-up-air."

There are numbers of posts here where folks have discussed using lower capacity hoods --- such as 400 CFM over-the-range microwaves-hood combo units -- with powerful ranges. Luv2Putt recently discussed this in several threads (he has a Viking 30" induction range) as has Nunyabiz (who is using an OTR with an NXR open-burner gas stove).

Finally, downdraft venting is like the OTR solution: not ideal, but can be workable and may be better than nothing. I recall several recent discussions of downdrafts being workable for induction cooktops on islands in high-ceilinged rooms. Again, more searching will take you to discussion of the ramifications and workability. Also, search on the kitchen forum as well as I believe that there were some helpful discussions there.

Maybe you've already tried some searches and did not find much? Sometimes, it just takes a few specific terms or names to help the search along. If you have not already done so, sSearch on names and topics listed above and you will find some useful discussions of the pro-and cons and adequacy of these solutions. Again, lots of discussions of these topics here, so the search engine can be your friend as long as you've got some terms to search on.

o

Like Ginny I have a Kobe 720 cfm hood over my induction cooktop. IME downdrafts are a waste of time and money. Cooking vapors and heat convect upwards, not sideways or down. A downdraft works against the natural laws of physics.

Cheryl

o

LC works great on induction. probably one of the best, IMHO..

o

Definitely in my recent experience. Last week I purchased a LC crepe pan (my first ever LC or crepe pan!) and it works awesomely on my E'lux induction. So good I like it a little better than my Minerale pans I bought (it's so much lighter without the maintenance (oiling) need).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here