Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charleney_gw

anyone buying refrigs from costco.?

charleney
9 years ago

The 10 yr old Estate needs to go. The door shelves break and are not cheap to replace. The box and temps keep the food great. Is there any refrigerators that have stable drawers and shelves? I can only have a 30" width. Also, I would like a bottom freezer

Comments (2)

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

I would like a bottom freezer

Sometimes, people say "bottom freezer" and mean a bottom freezer with a conventional single door for the fridge compartment. If that is what you meant, Costco.com does not currently carry any of those. Sometimes folks mean to include french-door models (which are the same box with different doors.) If so, Costco.com sells only one 30" bottom freezer model, which is a Whirlpool, french door 19.6 cu. ft. french-door model (available in stainless, white ice and black ice finishes).

That's costco.com. Sometimes, Costco has different models in some stores, so I can't comment further than that.

Is there any refrigerators that have stable drawers and shelves?

The fridges sold at Costco are all Whirlpool brands (mostly Whirlpool and Maytag) which are all made together on the same production lines. "Stable drawers and shelves" is kind of subjective in that I can think the drawers and shelves in my Kitchenaid refrigerator --- a Whirlpool brand and a french-door model --- has stable shelves and I think the drawers are stable but you might have different standards than I do. To you, the term "stable drawers" might mean that you will not accept anything less than drawers on rollers or ball-bearing slides. Best thing is to go to a big box store with lots of fridges on display and check out the shelves and drawers to see if they meet your standards.

"I can only have a 30" width."

Is that a true 30" width or an approximate 30" width? Whirlpool's nominally 30" width fridge models are actually 30 1/2" wide so they won't fit in a space that is exactly 30" wide. Also, a standard depth fridge in the so-called 30" width needs some space for the door swing. Not a problem if your fridge is in the middle of a run of counters (and a standard depth fridge), but if your fridge has to go in a corner with one side against a wall, you'll need an additional 2 inches or so of clearence on the wall side for any doors swinging in that direction. Maybe you already have through through the door-swing room (say 33"), meaning that a nominally 30" fridge is as wide you can go?

This post was edited by JWVideo on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 9:47

• llaatt22
    9 years ago

If you have a ten year old fridge with no operating issues, you could do worse than buying replacement shelves for those that broke again. Maybe re-enforce the weak areas with heavy duty packing tape containing fiberglass thread strands and make sure the shelves aren't being overstressed by excessive loads.