Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jahjah_gw

Moving a stove

jahjah
10 years ago

Is it hard to move a stove from one side of the kitchen to directly in front of it? (think U shape)... stove and fridge are next to each other with zero landing space.

Would moving the electrical outlet for the stove be move trouble than moving a regular outlet?

Also how does moving the vent work? Would an extension just be added? Is that an option?

Rough explanation would be appreciated along with rough estimates.

Thank you!!!

Comment (1)

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Usually, it is pretty easy to slide a stove out of the kitchen for a remodel and then slide it back in to a new location.

Moving electrical outlets is a highly variable/different kettle of fish/can of worms. Are you relocating a 120v outlet for an all gas stove or moving a 240v outlet for an electrical/induction/dual fuel range?

Moving/adding 120v outlet is easy, especiallyif the electrical runs through an accessible basement ceiling or crawlspace. As a general rule, a 240v line is harder to relocate because: (a) the cable is much bigger/heavier and (b) you usually can't just tap in to an an existing circuit and add an outlet. When I say bigger cable, what I mean is that a standard 120v circuit will require 14 guage (14 AWG) romex cable for 15 amp circuits or 12 gauge romex cable for 20 amp ciruits. These are three or four times the diameter of lamp cords -- thick but pretty manageable and you often can have the old cable hooked to new in a junction box. An electric/induction/ dual fuel will require a thicker cable for a 240v circuit. That means 8 guage cable (pretty thick) for 40 amp service or 6 guage cable for 50 amp service (nearly two inches in diameter). Around here, as I understad it frm the State electrical inspectors, you normally are not permitted to extend a 240 line with junction boxes. (Apparently, the state inspectors hereabouts want to see subpanels for extenidng 240v lines and don't want a junction box.) How hard this will be depends on whether whether you have your panel in a basement with an open ceiling (pretty easy to add new cabling), or a crawl space (not so easy but do-able or a slab with wiring run through from above --- potentially a pain and expensive.

Without knowing more, I can't give you costs estimates and, as my state has the economy of a third wolrd country, our costs might or might not translate for you.

Moving a range hood might be relatively easy or relatively hard. How does the present venting work and where does it run? Will the new stove location be on an outside wall? Hard to picture how you would re-use/extend to existing venting without some idea of what the current set-up is.

Electrical issues for relocating a vent will depnd on whether you've got an OTR or a standard vent and whether it is a plog-in or hard wired. Generally, eltectrical codes will reuqire an OTR have a dedicated circuit because of the large extra power draw that the MW unit imposes.A vent generally draw much less current and the wiring equirements will be less restrictive.

Hard to be more specific without more specific info about your set-up.