Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msgrace_gw

Remodeling kitchen w/o a clue about appliances

MsGrace
10 years ago

I'm new to GW and after reading about appliances on other sites and on this forum, I'm thoroughly confused! Too many choices! We are remodeling a kitchen and need appliances. I'm not the greatest cook but for future resale in about 5 years, we are going to go with mid to higher end appliances about $12,000 for all (sort of mandatory-everyone has a Viking and Sub Zero).
We do a lot of simple cooking, use ice frequently and sometimes don't
rinse our dishes :). I always wanted a 2 oven stove too but if wishes were horses beggars would ride...

For a dishwasher, I heard that the Bosch 800 series is reasonable and a water saver. Anyone have experience with this?

What fridge (counter depth), stove and ventilation (we have propane availabl), microwave and dw should we get and where?

Also, since I've done nothing but read appliance forums (thus my confusion) I read that the prices at appliance stores can be negotiated down quite a bit (50% in some cases). True?

A sincere thanks to all.

Comments (10)

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

I will only quickly comment and say that for a 12K budge you will not have both Viking and SZ in your new kitchen. SZ alone will almost eat up your entire 12K budge, so look elsewhere on that.

I will try and comment more tomorrow or the day after if I can find the time, and if no one else beats me to it.

Phil

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

You need to give us a little more info to make a good recommendation.

What size fridge and range? Ideally a 48" range but willing to settle for 36" ? A 36" fridge?

50% off is going to be on distressed merchandise or scratch'n dent that pretty severely damaged. You won't get 50% off on SZ no matter how good of a negotiator you are or how hard you negotiate.

• MsGrace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the quick response! I don't need to have a SZ fridge at all. A counter depth one would be ideal but we can work around a deeper one.
    As for the stove, it may be caddy corner so 36 would be fine. I had a wolf gas 5 burner cooktop in my previous house and liked it. The only thing was that the vent hood had to be higher due to the high heat burner- I had to stand on my tiptoes to turn it on and off.

The layout of the kitchen will be 2 parallel lines of cabinets. One has a large window in the middle, with a short side was on either end. The other one will be an island. We are looking at a mid to end of September start date. Thanks again for your help!

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Suggestions can be made but the best approach is to make a list of appliances that fit your budget with good ratings/recommendations and then go see them in an appliance showroom and decide for yourself.

Re: "As for the stove, it may be caddy corner so 36 would be fine." Bad idea with furniture let alone a range.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

You don't need to raise a rangehood due to the power of Wolf burners but you do need to raise a wood paneled hood, adjacent cabinetry, or any combustibles to a minimum of 30" above any cooktop.

For the "vertically challenged" they sell some rangehoods with remotes and there is at least wall switches for variable speed rangehoods see link below.

But it sounds like you need to finalize a layout first with definite widths for the range and refrigerator. New standard is 36" wide for a fridge but there are choices for narrower models.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

I will also say that my Zephyr Monsoon II DCBL model comes with a remote that they give you. I don't use it to be honest, but it is nice to have in case I do want to.

Phil

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Are you quite sure you prefer a gas stove, or have you considered an induction cooktop?

• mhamtan
    10 years ago

Not sure if you can get them down 50%, but I always check amazon for a baseline price. They usually have the best prices I have found and you can either buy through them or at least get an idea of what a "good price" would be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch Dishwasher on Amazon

• MsGrace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your replies. The caddy corner stove idea is out! These are what have been suggested by the appliance store here on Hilton Head, SC, but not pricing, just the Wolf/SZ promotion info-told the sales person my budget was $12,000, possibly a bit more. I understand the manufacturer's warranty is doubled if bought and installed through a local dealer. Also, Thermidor is having a promo too. The msrp is @ 18,000 so a $6.000 reduction in price seems too good to be true.

30 inch wolf dual fuel range
    24 inch wolf steam/convection oven instead of microwave
    Bosch 800 (or 500) series DW
    SZ 36 built in fridge ss
    Hood? Thinking of the Zephyr

Are there other costs associated with the purchase of these appliances? Thanks for your advice.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Wolf DF304 ~$6k
    Wolf steam oven ~$3.8k
    Bosch 500-800 DW $800-$1500 depending on specific model.
    SZ 36" ~$9k
    Zephyr ~ $600-$1200

A few of the Veteran posters here on GW have stated that Wolf has not fixed it's blue enamel problem and do not recommend their ovens. Wekick has had problems with three ovens/ranges but his last problem was with a range that was 4.5 years old .AFAIK Wolf fixed this at least 3 years ago but FYI. In any event I think the Wolf is way overpriced for what you get.

I don't like getting a suite of appliances for a promo discount you can almost always do better buying separate appliances. I would get a specific price quote with specific appliances then we(the collective we at GW) can maker a counter recommendation.

Because the appliances listed sound way way more than $12k.