Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me use my Wolf 30" Built-In Double Oven - L Series (e

Posted by AudreEngleman (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 18:11

This year, we moved into a condo with a full kitchen of Wolf Appliances. We were the first owners of the apartment and users of the appliances that were originally installed in 2010. Wolf provided us with one year warranties from the purchase date of the apartment. I thought my oven needed calibrating. Two different technicians came to the apartment and said that both ovens were operating within parameters.

Nonetheless, my Wolf double ovens are continuing to drive me crazy. For example, I wanted to bake (conventional) some pastry puffs for 25 minutes at 375 degrees. In accordance with the conclusions that were made with the technician and my husband and me, I set the oven to bake (conventional) at 370 degrees. The reason I did that was because I was told that the oven temperature would vary by 10 degrees after reaching the set point of 370. In order to have an average temperature of 375, the chosen temperature was 370. After 16 minutes the oven ding-dinged that it had reached the set point of 370 degrees. I looked (without opening the door) at my new oven thermometer (set on the middle shelf on the left side of the oven near the light). My oven thermometer read 325 degrees. At 26 minutes my oven thermometer read 370. At 30 minutes my oven thermometer read 375 degrees. At 50 minutes my oven thermometer read 380 degrees. At 60 minutes my oven thermometer read 385 degrees. I don't know whether it ever stabilized because I turned the oven off at that point.

In my 60 years of baking (with non-pedigreed ovens), I have never had an oven that:
1. took so long to preheat
2. did not reach and maintain the set temperature.
3. throws off so much heat into the room

Does anyone have advice as to "work-arounds" that will result in food being cooked the way I want?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me use my Wolf 30" Built-In Double Oven - L Serie

I always allow a good 30 minutes for my oven to preheat if I am baking. The normal swing for temperature is 25 degrees to either side of the set temperature. My wolf oven probably varies 10 degrees on either side of the set temperature. How do things bake?

o
RE: Please help me use my Wolf 30" Built-In Double Oven - L

First of all, stop trying to second guess the oven and using temperatures different from recipes. It won't help you. Wekick raises a very good question: "How do things bake?" It is ridiculous to expect any oven, no matter how high end, to reach the exact set temperature and stay there without changing. I may be wrong, and please correct me if this is the case, but it sounds like from your initial post you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. This reminds me of when people try to raise the water level in their front load washers after buying without first answering the question "Are the clothes clean?"

>"I was told that the oven temperature would vary by 10 degrees after reaching the set point of 370"

Seems like you misinterpreted their statement. You seem to think the temperature will only go above the set point and then go back down to it. This is not the case. The temperature will vary above and below the set temperature. So a swing of 10 degrees means that it would drop down from 375 to 370, then heat up to 380, then drop down to 370, and so on - so the average temperature, is 375 if you punch in 375! In reality it will probably not operate EXACTLY like this, but that is probably what they were trying to tell you it is supposed to do. They might have also meant it will vary 10 degrees above and below, not just 10 degrees overall. So, it drops from 375 to 365, then goes up to 385, and so on. Either way, the average temp is the same, and swings of either magnitude are quite small compared to most ovens.

>"I looked (without opening the door) at my new oven thermometer (set on the middle shelf on the left side of the oven near the light). My oven thermometer read 325 degrees. At 26 minutes my oven thermometer read 370. At 30 minutes my oven thermometer read 375 degrees. At 50 minutes my oven thermometer read 380 degrees. At 60 minutes my oven thermometer read 385 degrees."

Again, you're second guessing the oven. When you open the door to put in food, the temperature drops by a ton and then the oven has to work to recover back to your set point. I can't say whether this is the case for this particular oven, or if it is just due to a normal temperature swing, but many ovens will heat to higher than the set temperature during the initial preheat to minimize the amount it drops below the set point when the door is opened. Then, once you put in the food, it will heat back up to your set point. Had you opened the door, I bet the temperature would have stayed closer to your set point after the oven recovered from the door opening.

Wekick again makes a very good point about preheating. When the buzzer sounds, that doesn't necessarily mean the oven is ready for food. The Wolf website explains why long preheating is important : "With basic preheating, the air temperature in the oven is raised and the preheat temperature is reached very quickly. However, immediately after the preheat is complete, the oven temperature begins to drop because the racks, walls, as well as the bottom and top of the oven start to absorb the heat due to the fact they are not at the same temperature as the air inside the oven. Full cavity preheating brings the temperature of the oven components, as well as the air in the oven up to the same temperature. Assuring that once the preheat temperature is reached, it remains constant, with no drop off."

>"I looked (without opening the door) at my new oven thermometer (set on the middle shelf on the left side of the oven near the light)."

Is the oven's temperature sensor on the middle shelf onthe left side of the oven near the light? Again even in high performing ovens like the Wolf, temperatures will vary slightly throughout the cavity and you should never expect your oven thermometer to match exactly what the oven thinks.

My suggestion: ditch the oven thermometer and trust the oven electronics. Just punch in the temperature on the recipe and try baking for the amount of time on the recipe. If, after that amount of time, the results aren't as you like, come back here and elaborate on what went wrong? Did they bake too quickly? Too slowly? Too much on the tops/bottoms? Unevenly between different parts of the oven? Etc.

THEN you'll get advice more along the lines of what you're looking for.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 21:07

o

I thank the both of you very much; I will follow your advice for a few months and report back.

o

Audre
Does your condo gave an elevator?
If so, your power is 208 instead of 220/240.
This will slow your preheat considerably.
My DH thought my DM was nuts for complaining about oven warm time until another friend had the same issue and I learned about elevator power.

I have the wolf e series - if baking, I allow 20-30 minutes to warm up.
I don't fidget with the temps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here