Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whirlpool NL300 water filter cartridge doesn't turn

Posted by TNGardener19 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 18:08

I have a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator circa 2004. I want to install a new water filter (NL300). The directions say to turn the filter 1/4 turn on both the removal (counterclockwise) and installation (clockwise), but the old one just slid straight out and the new one won't turn when I slide it in the slot to install. I raised the arm on the icemaker to stop the water flow. Is there anything else I should try?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whirlpool NL300 water filter cartridge doesn't turn

Were these directions packed with the new filter?

o

They are printed on the original filter. And they are the same all over the internet for that filter number. I haven't gotten a new filter yet, I was figuring out how to install it first.

o

The NL 300 replacement is a 4396508.
If your old filter unit easily pulled straight out, it may not have been secured all the way in when it was installed. Then a calcium buildup might have obstructed the new one seating completely.
You might try spraying vinegar into the filter chamber and reinserting the old filter overnight while things loosen up. Then try to get the old filter to lock properly and once you can do that, spray rinse the chamber and install you new filter.

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube demo

o

Thank you for the video, laat2. It confirmed that I was trying to install it correctly. I figured out that the cap that slides onto the end of the filter as a handle is the problem. It won't go all the way into the hole so it prevents the filter from seating. I seated the filter by itself temporarily. I assume that will be ok until I have more time to see why the handle doesn't fit.
I appreciate your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here