Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frigidaire/Electrolux all fridge/all freezer - performance data

Posted by refrigeratorreplacer (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 17:50

I am curious if anyone knows whether there exists any specific data on timing and frequency of service calls requested by owners of the Electrolux and/or Frigidaire all refrigerator and all freezer columns? I know some people report problems in forums like this, but I would love actual data (knowing that there is surely a bias towards posting only when you have problems, because if you don't have any, you are not on here looking for answers and recos!).

I am operating on the premise that if a freestanding fridge breaks within 5 years, experts reco that you fix it, but if older then replace it. And for built-ins, the inflection point is said to be 8 years. So for ex if I discovered that there is a high chance that I would have 5 carefree years with the Elecs (even if I had to replace the set immediately thereafter), then I feel like they are worth it, given the enormous price differential between this option and any built-in/integrated option. Or in the converse, if it were known to be the case that 75% of owners of these need a service call within the first year, then I'm prob not excited about the cost savings anymore.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frigidaire/Electrolux all fridge/all freezer - performance da

We have 2 Elux all-fridges and 1 all-freezer. We purchased them in 2007, but moved in in 2008 and started using them. So, it's 6 1/2 yrs later, and we've had no service calls. 1 of the fridge's interior light has a will of its own, so doesn't always come on, and the readout occasionally tries to give me an error code. From what I could find online, that code is related to the evaporator fan motor... But it keeps working and the code goes away. It's done that for a few years now. I haven't had it checked. Meant to at first, but the fridge keeps working fine, so at this point, I'm figuring it's a false alarm. The other fridge and the freezer have had absolutely no problems.

I know this is just one family's experience and opinion, and you're looking for more stats for a greater number of units, but I think they're a good bet.

The only reason I might not buy them again is the way the drawers are attached to the shelves above so they're a pain to take out and get clean. Maybe they've changed that by now.

o

Thanks! I appreciate hearing about your positive experience with them.

o

Bump

o

I would love to hear about these too....do they overwhelm the kitchen space?

o

We have had our Frigidaire all-refrigerator, all-freezer pair for 8 1/2 years - with not a single service issue. We're doing a new kitchen in our retirement home in Aiken, SC, and are using the Frigidaire pair again. By now the price is higher and the capacity has increased (nominal size - from 17 to 19 cubic feet.) We looked at the Electrolux - but only the shelf arrangement is slightly different. No way is it worth the increased price to us - for essentially the same unit as the Frigidaire.

When visitors first come into our narrow kitchen they are a bit awed by the size of the fridge "wall", which is initially not in view. But, we have never felt that it overwhelms! Dimensions for the new units are 65" wide and 79" high if you use the full trim kit with the louvered grill above. You can leave off the grill and cut the opening to 75" tall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here