Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jj4444444

Anyone know what this dish that came with my oven is for?

jj4444444
11 years ago

I am pretty sure this baking dish came with my GE monogram convection oven. I moved it across the country and it is still sitting here, unused, as I don't know what it is supposed to do!!

Any help would be appreciated!!

Comments (18)

• fauguy
    11 years ago

Looks like some type of roaster rack.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

It looks like a roaster rack to me, too, although not one I've seen before. I got a broiler pan with a couple of inserts with my Elux oven, and the manual talks about their use. Check the instructions for something like broiling or convection roasting and see if they mention this pan.

• dyanetti
    11 years ago

I'm not sure, but I think that you are supposed to screw it to the wall, then - with your back to the wall, lean back on it and bend your knees to rub your back up and down against it... "back scratcher".

• jj4444444
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL Dyanetti, I might just try that!!

Thanks for the comments and ideas. It is very heavy and sturdy, so it might be a roaster pan of some sort. I didn't even think about checking the manual... I will try that and see what I find out.

I knew someone here would have some ideas for me!

• llaatt22
    11 years ago

Is it in one or two pieces?
    Quite a complex shape for a simple broil or roast pan.

• jj4444444
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is just one solid piece, quite heavy.

My cabinet guy is currently working in front of the door to get to where it is, but I will try to get a few more pictures, other angles, to give a better feel of what it looks like.

I did look at the online owners manual, but didn't see anything about it in there. I can't get the the paper version now, as I am in the middle of the remodel and it is packed away.

Thanks for all ideas so far... if anyone else has any thoughts, I would love to hear them!

Jennifer

• sritacco
    11 years ago

It looks more like "Art" than a pan.
    I like the "mount it on the wall" idea. :-)

GE! I'm really impressed.

• kaseki
    11 years ago

I'm going to guess bacon baking.

kas

• jj4444444
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the responses so far! I took a few more pictures and will post them. It is one solid piece and weighs 10 pounds or so at least, so it is not light weight. It must have some specific purpose, but so far the only thing that seems reasonable is a roaster pan of some sort, but wouldn't that typically have room for the drippings?

Anyway, here are some more pictures!

Thanks again for any input!

Jennifer

• jj4444444
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more, couldn't get them in the same message for some reason.

• jj4444444
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more, couldn't get them in the same message for some reason.

{{!gwi}}

• chris11895
    11 years ago

Meatball Roaster?!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Why not try emailing the picture to GE customer service and ask them.

• gbsim1
    11 years ago

I don't have a clue what it is but I'd bet money that it doesn't go with the oven.
    You said in your opening sentence that you "thought" it went with the oven so you aren't sure.

Seems too heavy to use for any kind of rack or pan. At 10 pounds by the time you put anything on it, it'd be a struggle to move.

And I can't imagine any kind of cooking application that makes such a design functional.

What does the underside look like? Maybe we're looking at the "wrong" side.

• llaatt22
    11 years ago

The shape of the "handles" suggest one use is on the bottom inside a roaster.
    Also as a lid while steam cooking in the oven.
    Broiling corn, roasting potatoes.
    Form used for baking fancy rolls, etc.

It probably has many uses in a commercial kitchen, maybe in Europe. Given it is very heavy for its size, perhaps it was included in error when your range was shipped because no one there knew what it really was either.

• wekick
    11 years ago

You might post this on the cookware forum on chowhound.

• ca_mom
    11 years ago

Baking baguettes?

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Yeah, my first thought was for baking bread.