Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newliberty

Electrolux Wave Touch Versus GE Cafe

newliberty
13 years ago

We recently purchased our first house with all appliances included. After one too many ruined dinners, I finally used a thermometer to discover that the ancient oven randomly moves up and down in temperture while cooking. For the most part it's 75 degrees off from the temperature you set it at.

I'm looking to replace it with an electric freestanding range and would like to pick a brand that I feel comfortable enough with to buy my other appliances to match- dishwashwer, fridge, new hood, and microwave.

I would LOVE to have one that had 2 true ovens (a standard and a mini-one.) At this point I'm falling in love with the Stainless Steel Electrolux 30" Electric Freestanding Range with Wave-Touch Controls Model #: EW30EF65GS.

However, I also like the GE Cafe Free Standing Radiant Range Model #: CS980SNSS. There is also a Samsung that has similar features. I also saw a GE Adora line at Home Depot- but have since seen horrible reviews about the Adora line on the web.

My main concerns in choosing a range are:

1. Making sure the stainless steel is not too finger-print friendly. I'm not the type to wipe-down appliances every day.

2. If the range top is easy to clean and difficult to scratch.

3. And, of course, reliability.

If anyone owns or is considering these models or their matching appliances I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (9)

• sandlll
    13 years ago

I was choosing between the gas versions of both of these ranges. The electrolux seemed to be better built. The top of the GE Cafe seemed like it would get scratched more easily. I guess just the fit and finish seemed better on the electrolux. The oven doors and the gliding racks were nicer too. I did like the GE Cafe look, but decided that electrolux would probably be better quality.

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

Recognizing that I'm not responding directly to the question you asked, here are two ideas to think about:

Consider induction; there are several threads here about this -- its new, so not a lot of people are aware of it. But induction is faster and more efficient than radiant electric heat, and similar to gas in its responsiveness (i.e., changing from low simmer to strong boil settings). [Electrolux's induction range model is #EW30IS65JS, but several others make induction ranges as well.]

Reconsider the idea to get "matching" appliances made by a single vendor. Primarily, because different appliances made by a given vendor will likely vary in quality / performance / features / reliability (etc.). But also because its not hard to find models made by different vendors that appear to go well together, or complement each other, even if they don't match exactly.

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

sandlll,

It sounds like you went w/ the Electrolux? If so, have you installed it yet? What are your thoughts on it so far?

• sandlll
    13 years ago

I haven't gotten the range yet. I had just narrowed it down to those 2. I am not going to get it until sometime in Sept...

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

We have ordered the all gas Electrolux wave touch oven but don't get it until the end of September/early October when our renovations are done. I fell in love with it and especially the 2 oven racks inside that have the easy glide. Hope I love it as much when I start cooking with it! Good luck on your decision.

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

Bumping in hopes of some more input for the OP...

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Drooled from the minute I saw the GE Cafe! It is also highly rated in Consumer Reports.

HOWEVER, it is very pricey for a smoothtop electric. There was a floor model last holiday season at my Sears Outlet that was ~$1800. Really tempting.

However, since my electric coiltop range was working perfectly, I passed.

Then I found a floor model Samsung induction range at hhgregg for a fantastic price, then DH got an email for 20% off anything in the outlet room. No brainer, I could not pass it up. So, that is what we have. I like how the cooktop does not get hot other than under the burner.

However, the GE Cafe is excellent, and I think you cannnot go wrong. There are several GW'ers on the Kitchens forum who have one who are very happy with them, although all electric is probably the least common. Most have gas or dual fuel.

• julieofminn
    13 years ago

New Liberty,

Just checking back to the forum after months away when I was at a similar place. I bought the electric Electrolux in April and have enjoyed it very much. As far as maintenance, it is easier to keep gleaming than my other stainless appliances. The stove door is mainly glass and the stainless trim along the back control panel avoids drips and smudges so looks nice without much effort.

I learned in the forum the easiest way to keep my SS fridge nice looking is to use a damp microfiber cloth. Occasionaly, I use a soapy cloth, rinse cloth, then wipe down. The same works on the stove.

The solid black glass top is more sensitive than the dotted top I previously owned. I've been warned to not move or scrape a pan, wipe all salt or anything up immediately so it doesn't cause a scratch. If a damp cloth doesn't remove all marks, I use the special cleaner. It takes little time and effort to have a gleaming top.

I like how quickly the stove top heats up compared to my early series glass top. The oven heats evenly, the convection works great, and the racks are nice, but heavy. I make sure the rack is correctly positioned before I preheat. Moving one takes two hand mitts! Food, such as pizza cheese, wipes up easily after the oven cools, but smells horrible if you leave it. I took that third rack that rested on the bottom out because it was one more thing for food to stick onto.

I first bought a SS KitchenAid side/side refrigerator and KA dishwasher. This appliance goes nicely. When I replace my microwave, it will likely be another brand.
    Safety-wise, I prefer controls on the back. The Cafe has the controls on front. Also, I am short and reaching across to stir something on the back is easier and when I remove a large pot, I don't have to lift over the controls and worry about drip down. Electric stoves don't produce all the ambient heat like gas stoves, so reaching past a pot is no problem.

The adjustments are a breeze with a slight tap to increase or decrease temperature. It takes a bit to remember about selecting the larger burner size on the three burners that offer that, a second tap to a control. I seldom wipe the control panel, it doesn't smudge easily and looks very neat with only the clock lit most of the time. I like the sleek, modern look. I like the large oven capacity. The guys in my house like the electronic control panel.

• Leehop1
    10 years ago

I am torn between buying the Electrolux Induction Wave Touch online or paying about $1,000 more locally. It seems like a no-brainer but the Electrolux ranges seem to have a spotty track record. It is the double oven, induction slide-in model.
    I first looked at the GE Cafe slide-in gas top w/electric double ovens.

Does anyone have experiences with these ranges and buying an appliance online?