Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melis918

Capitol Connoisseurian: Does anyone own one?

Melissa Kroger
9 years ago

I am planning a kitchen remodel that will begin in early January. I currently have an 11 year old 48" Viking DF range, and was planning on replacing it with a 48" Wolf DF range. After reading numerous threads here, I am concerned with the chipping issues that some have experienced in the ovens. My next choice would be the Connoisseurian, but have not really heard much feedback about them from anyone who actually owns and has used one. I would love to hear about both burner and oven performance and any problems/complaints. Lastly, if anyone one has had to have it serviced, how was that handled? My very last option is to get a range-top and separate wall ovens, which I am still hoping to avoid.

Comments (12)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I'm not aware of anyone here who owns one. However, if you're curious about cooktop and oven performance, you can look at reviews of the Culinarian burners and the Maestro wall ovens because the Connoisseurian is nothing more than a combination of those products. Culinarian cooktop performance has been reviewed as excellent almost universally. The electric ovens, on the other hand, we haven't heard a lot about. The only thread I know of is someone who had a problem with one and wasn't happy with their service experience. Personally I remember reading it and thinking the customer was a little bit unreasonable, but I forget the specifics. You can search it if you're curious and draw your own conclusion. So, overall I'm sure the Connoisseurian burners will be great, there is a lot of uncertainty about the ovens.

If this were my kitchen I would definitely get a range top and separate ovens. If I were forced to get a range I would probably take a risk on the Connoisseurian as I can't think of a different dual fuel range I'd rather have.

Maybe someone here owns one by now: if so it would be great to hear your feedback!

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's hard to believe that no one here owns the Connoisseurian! My design really depends on a range, rather than separate wall ovens...After a disastrous experience with my Viking range, I'm trying to find the most reliable df range. There seem to be major flaws with all of them, though the GE Monogram gets the least negative feedback. I never thought I would consider GE, but I may have to take a look.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    9 years ago

We've had a duel fuel capital in the cooking school now for 6 months and to date have not had a problem. Out of all the duel fuels Capitals we've sold I know of only 1 problem, and that was to do with the glass on the oven door (replaced with no problems or delays)

As to the burner question, that has been explained in many posts. You can disregard any thread that speaks to clicking burners or problem simmering, both issues have been resolved for many months years now.

All capital open burner ranges come with a 8k btu small pan burner, the rest of the burners will be 25k btu.

So far it seems to be a very stable range.

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trevor- what is your overall thought regarding the dual fuel vs gas? Also, I'm a bit frustrated that I can't actually see/touch one!

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    9 years ago

The rule of thumb I use when speaking to customers is... the more baking you do the more you should consider / lean towards Duel Fuel, that's not to say you wont get good baking results from gas ovens, just saying for those people who love to bake a duel fuel unit from any manufacture not just capital would be a better fit.

Basic Upsides
    Open burners
    larger oven cavity
    Meat Probe
    Better for baking
    Moisture feature
    Larger capacity for rotisserie cooking
    Self Clean

Basic Downsides
    Costs more
    Digital controls

I understand your frustration of not been able to see one, but I will say that over 95% ( guessing ) of my customers who purchased a Duel Fuel unit did not seen the range prior to purchase. All without exception have been thrilled not only with the function but also the overall look and feel.

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

Melis, Trevor is the expert, but I would add that in general, a DF will put less heat into your kitchen than a gas range - which may not be important to some people, but if you live in a southern climate, you would likely notice the difference during the summer especially.

• gayl
    9 years ago

As the owner of both a Wolf Range and Wolf wall oven, I can tell you that the chipping problem is ONLY with the wall ovens with the blue porcelain, NOT in the Range. We have had the chipping issue with our electric wall oven, but nothing at all with our AG range. I know everyone says electric is better for baking, but I have tried several items in both my electric and gas oven simultaneously, with excellent results from both. And depending on what kind of cook you are, the burners may be a non-issue. I have more than enough output on my burners, and the simmer is the best I have had on the Wolf. Just my 2 cents!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

^The OP was considering a DF Wolf range, not AG.

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I definitely need a DF range. We are not starting the kitchen remodel until January, so I am holding off on deciding. I'm hoping that Miele launches their DF range in December (It's what I'm being told by several appliance salespeople, as well as a Miele rep). If it lives up to all the hype, I will likely go with it.

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

You might also want to look at an induction range. I haven't used one, but most rave about how responsive they are to changes in settings - which is where gas usually bests electric for the top of the range. You generally pay a premium for DF, and if you want an electric oven with responsive burners, induction might be an option for you. ( We lose power pretty frequently, so induction was not on my radar when I bought my range )

• dreamhouseforsomeday
    8 years ago

OP--which range did you end up choosing? I'm currently debating the Connoisseurian vs the Culinarian. Typically I like to stay clear of a multitude electronic controls but I'm intrigued by the meat-probe as I'm infamous for overcooking meat. (Sorry to bring this thread back into play but I have yet to figure out how to private message houzz members.)