Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmcg_gw

Help me choose a Miele DW?

kmcg
12 years ago

I'm sold on a Miele dishwasher in the broad sense, but am having a hard time deciding which one. It would have to be in the lower price tier, and I really don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Don't need a water softener or a bunch of different cycles (6 is probably 5 more than I would ever use). Any Miele would be sufficiently quiet. I think I would love a model with the cutlery tray. I like the plate protector load feature, which I think might be missing on the lowest model Futura.

Here's what I've seen at our local stores:

Two appealing discontinued models - (1) an Inspira in white (which is okay, but I also like stainless) without the cutlery tray for under $850-ish (love this price) and (2) an Optima in stainless for $1550-ish.

Between these 2 ends of my price spectrum are the new Futura models. The Classic in stainless runs just under $1300. It's a bit difficult to compare it to the Inspira; they both seem good, but would I be missing something major by going with the discontinued Inspira? And would I gain a lot by going with the Optima?

I don't need a DW urgently, but these closeouts have piqued my interest. I could buy now if these are truly good deals. If I wait, are there certain times of the year when I should watch for Miele promotions, such as extended warranty?

I'd love to hear your insights.

Comments (72)

• fauguy
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

mmhmmgood,

Did you buy it in Canada? I know up there they do those 10-year warranty extension specials from time-to-time, but they don't in the US.

kmcg,

A Diamante Plus G2143SC floor model for $1300 is about $150 less than I paid less year for a new one. Do you know how long it's been on display?
    A La Perla for $1750 is also a good price, but if its the panel ready version, then you'd have to get a wood panel on the front, or buy Miele's stainless steel panel and handle, which would add on a few hundred $. So you probably don't want to deal with that.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Indeed, fauguy, I'm in Canada. Wonder why they offer 10 year warranty here an not in the US? Curious. Here we pretty much NEVER get Miele on any sort of sale or deal, all is essentially priced as listed on the website. Instead the company offers "value added" services like the extra warranty or free installation or some such bonus whenever they are feeling generous.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I bought my W4842/T9822 in Feb of this year with a 10 year free bonus upgrade. It's the thing that convinced me to spend that kind of $$$ on the machines. It's actually several things you get - they call it the "Miele Advantage Plus" package. You can read about the different levels of follow up care from Miele.

I also received $100 in free Miele Care product (of my choice), 2 passes to the Miele Culinary Institute, among several other "perks".

When I bought my dishwasher for 40% off I only received a 1 year warranty and no added perks. Hopefully all will run smoothly with it.

Because retailers in Canada do not stock Miele items (all purchases are shipped from Miele and installed my Miele) no retailer here had any "deals" with the switch over to new machines. The deals were directly with Miele at the warehouse location.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Forever Care - Canada

• kmcg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

athomesewing - I'm so glad the thread helped! And jealous of your La Perla!! I wish I could make a decision so quickly. I have several complications, including the need to find a compatible fridge that fits in a small space, and a husband who thinks maybe we ought to start washing dishes by hand...

fauguy - I didn't get details on the Diamante. Basically this was a salesman running down the list on his computer of all the closeout Miele's they have, including ones in various stores and their warehouse. Helpful info, but not easy to personally see all of them.

• kmcg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mission accomplished! Did a final round of shopping today, and bought a Diamante Plus in stainless. I'm so excited! It was a floor model but in perfect shape, and the salesman helped locate all the parts needed to install it. Price was $1100, so I'm really glad I kept looking.

Thanks to all of you for your advice - it really helped.

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

Congratulations kmcg! You got a great machine and at a great price!

• fauguy
    12 years ago

So they came down from $1300 to $1100 for the Diamante, or was that two different dealers?
    Even though it was a floor model, I guess it's never been hooked-up and used...most aren't.
    Were you installing it yourself or having them do it?

• mr_wash
    12 years ago

Hi fauguy
    you know you can get into a service programming mode and add an additional interim rinse to all programmes, it also allows you to raise the main wash temperature as well in most programmes except China and Crystal cycle for obvious reasons. So with the Normal programme it will give you an interim rinse

• kmcg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks athomesewing!

fauguy - this was a different store within a larger local chain. It may have been the same Diamante quoted from the day before off the computer, but there were a few others too. It felt kind of like buying a car; the price seemed to change every time I asked someone new!

After getting a bunch of tips from one of their installers, my brother and I will do the installation. It sounds straightforward, although I've yet to determine whether I have an outlet in the current location.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

mr_wash,

Can you give the details on how to enter into the service programing mode on the G2143SC and add extra rinse modes or make other changes?

Or does this have to be done by the Miele tech, when they use the optical cable to connect to the front port?

• fauguy
    12 years ago

kmcg,

Make sure you have a TORX screwdriver set, as that is used on the four side-mounting screws. The water intake and drain house come already connected to the unit, but I'm not sure about the power cable. Make sure the drain hose has a High Loop Arc before connecting to the sink/garbage disposal. That will keep water from the sink from going down the drain hose.

• kmcg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the TORX.

Now I need to get the right detergent. I know fauguy uses Miele brand rinse aid. Anyone have other brands that work? Same for detergent? I was at costco yesterday wondering if I should buy some of the Finish tabs with the little red ball... I'll search for other threads, but if anyone wants to jump in with suggestions, that would be great.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

If you find my other thread, you'll see that I used Miele detergent tabs, but their newer ones that are phosphate free caused a lot of suds in the unit during washing (look at the pics I posted). I have now been using the Method Smarty tabs that are sold at Target. They clean just as well (only use a half tab at a time) and I'm got getting any suds from them. I'd suggest you give then a try. The bag of 20 Method tabs was $4, but since I break them in half, it gives 40 washes.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

Here's the link with the pics....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0916400921569.html

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

I recently switched to the Finish Quantum at the suggestion of someone on another thread. Worked through the 12-pack and I've been very happy with them.

Have a box of the old Miele tabs (before reformulation) so I'll work through that and then continue with the Finish tabs which are easy to find at the grocery store.

The only downside on them is the slight chemically smell I detect after the load is done but it's the only negative aspect I can find. They do a great job on C&C, P&P, Normal and Normal Plus.

I also like the Somat tabs but haven't had time to compare cost vs the Finish Quantum.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

I know there have been quite a few people in here that had a positive response to the Finish Quantum with the red ball (rinse aid). But some have said they get the residue issue and the slight chemical smell. I've never had that problem with the Miele tabs (new or original formula) or the Method Smarty tabs that I've been using for a month now. In fact, the only reason I tried the Method tabs is because the newer Miele tabs were causing the suds, which tripped the over-flow switch in the unit, thus causing it to be in drain-mode. But after using the Method tabs a month, I've had no suds, and no over-flow switch trip. It still cleans just as well.

• lalithar
    12 years ago

Hi all,

Is $ 1950 too much for a panel ready la perla. It is a floor model and already has another panel.

Lalitha

• fauguy
    12 years ago

Under $2000 for a LaPerla is a good price, as they were $2600-2800 new.
    Do you have the panel that you would use with it?

• mr_wash
    12 years ago

Hi Fauguy,

It is better to get the tech to change the settings via the laptop. You can also do it via the control panel but it is more difficult as it doesn't have an LCD display

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

So I pulled the trigger on a Miele LaPerla II Series G2872SCVI. It is the exact model I wanted, the fully integrated custom panel version for $1669 plus tax with free delivery from authorized dealer.

The big time Northeast and Midwest Miele e-tailers no longer ship into CA. Don't know anyone shipping into CA for UMRP with free shipping.

So after looking for 15 months for best possible Miele DW deal this was the best I could find.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

mr_wash,

They were just out here last month about the issue I had with the (new) Miele tabs creating suds, and it tripping the overflow switch in the lower pan. I ended up changing to Method Smarty tabs, and no longer get the suds. The tech opened up the bottom panel and could see where some suds/water got in there (now dried residue), and checked the gasket seals and said they were good, but he never hooked the PC up to the unit.

If you can tell me the steps to make the changes via the control buttons on the front, I'd appreciate it (no LCD on the Diamante Plus). Even though it's under warranty, I'm not sure about calling them up just because I want an interim rinse added to the Normal cycle. Like I said, that's why I use the Pots/Pans cycle, since it has the interim rinse before the final rinse.

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

WOW, deeageaux, that was a GREAT deal! Congrats!!

As for the soap, just thought I'd toss in what my salesman recommended based his own Meile at home -- Excelsior HE. Anyone tried that brand? It's made in Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dishwasher Soap

• fauguy
    12 years ago

I've never heard or seen that brand before. I wonder if they sell it in the US?
    But the Method Smarty tabs (half) I've been using for a month now, and haven't had any issues with them. I was in Target earlier this week, and they were sold out of them.

• kmcg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

deeag - congrats on a great deal! That matches the very lowest price I got on the same dishwasher, and I thought it was a steal (but still beyond my budget!)

fauguy - I thought your photos of washes in progress were pretty amazing. I had no idea what a difference the detergent could make. Glad you found the Smarty tabs. (my Target has the Smarty tabs, so at least you can rest assured they still carry them.)

I am wondering if I can use liquid detergent when I get the new Miele. I just found, in the back of the mystery cupboard under the sink, a huge jug of liquid Costco brand with phosphates, and am tempted to try it. Any suggestions as to how much?

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

deeag - congrats on a great deal! That matches the very lowest price I got on the same dishwasher, and I thought it was a steal (but still beyond my budget.)

I think it is dealer cost. I can now sleep easier knowing no one got a better deal from an authorized dealer. Well, at least very probably so.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

I would be cautious about trying a mystery liquid detergent in a new expensive Miele. I think liquid detergent like that may have an expiration date?
    If you're going to try it, get a tablespoon (or even a teaspoon) and measure it out that way. The Miele doesn't use a lot of water, so they don't need a lot of detergent. Don't just fill up the detergent door full with the liquid.

• mr_wash
    12 years ago

Hi fauguy,

I'm really amazed at the suds that your machine had when using the new Miele tabs. I ran a cycle last night with one and opened the door half way through the main wash and there was not a sign of suds, similar to you using the Smarty dish tabs and I used a whole tab and my water hardness is 3 degrees. I also use Somat 9 which I bought when I was in Germany and Finish Quantum, we still get the phosphate version here.

To get into the programming here are the steps:
    1.Press and hold the Start/Stop button.
    2.Switch on the unit.
    3.Release the Start/Stop button.
    4.Immediately press the Start/Stop button 5 times and at the 5th time, hold until the Start/Stop LED flashes.
    5.Release the Start/Stop button.
    If the Start/Stop LED does not light up, repeat the procedure.
    6.Press the Delay start button 26 times.
    7.The Pre-wash (rinse & hold) LED flashes 2 times slowly and 6 times rapidly.
    Setting options:
    Wash/Rinse LED is off = Standard setting; Wash/Rinse LED flashes = Second interim rinse selected
    8.Press the Start/Stop button as appropriate to make the desired setting.
    Save and quit
    9.Switch off the unit.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

mr_wash,

I'm not sure why the newer (phosphate free) Miele tabs are creating so much suds in my unit. When I emailed the pics to Miele, and showed them to the techs that came to the house, all they could suggest was to use less...even though I was only using 1/2 tab at that time, and ended up using 1/4 tab (equal to one-half teaspoon). I've been using the Method Smarty half-tabs for the past month, and don't get any suds with those. But since I only have a few left, last night I used some of the Miele detergent that I had left, and checked it mid-wash, and once again there was some suds.
    The Miele techs did do a hard water test, and said I was at 5 grains. The Diamante Plus water softener is set to 5-7 grains, but I have tried the lower setting at 0-4 grains, but it didn't make a difference with the amount of the suds.

Thanks for posting the steps for adding an interim rinse. Does this add an interim rinse to all the wash cycles, or just to the Normal wash cycle? From the factory, my Diamante Plus using the Normal cycle does 2 pre-washes, 1 main wash with detergent, and then a final rinse with the rinse aid. That's why I've been using the Pots & Pans cycle, since it does 1 pre-wash, 1 main wash, 1 interim rinse, and 1 final rinse with rinse aid. What is interesting is that the new Futura models (G5000 series) has the Normal cycle with an interim rinse showing in the user manual. I guess they decided to add an interim rinse in the new models.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

mr wash,

I've now gone into the service menu per your instructions to the #26 setting and the Rinse LED was off, so I pressed the Start/Stop button so the LED would flash once. When I run it Tuesday night, I'll do the Normal cycle just to verify there is now an interim rinse between the main wash and final rinse.

I also checked the other service settings and saw that #36 flashes once, #38 flashes once, and #39 flashes 3 times and can be adjusted to flash 1-6 times. Do you know what these mean via a service manual, or could it be emailed to me?

• mr_wash
    12 years ago

Hi fauguy,

postion 36 is to set the machine height no need to adjust, position 38 is the model setting no need to adjust and position 39 is the country variant setting. If you change this the machine will make the wash programmes behave differently and also the order of the programmes will change.
    For example your programme order is
    Pots and pans
    Normal
    China & crystal
    Sani wash
    Express
    Rinse and hold.

If you change it to the EU version you get
    Sensor wash 55-65°C
    Quick wash 40°C
    Light soiling 50°C
    Energy Save
    Pots and pans 75°C
    Prewash

• fauguy
    12 years ago

Mr Wash,
    With the setting changed to #26 in the service menu, I ran the Normal cycle tonight, but it did not add an interim rinse. It did two 10 minute pre-washes, 30 minute main wash with detergent, and a 30 minute final rinse with rinse aid. This is what it has done before when using the Normal cycle.
    After it was done drying, I went back to the #26 setting and verified the Rinse LED was flashing for it.
    I wonder if adding the interim rinse might be a different setting on this model?

• mr_wash
    12 years ago

Hi Fauguy,

Try running another programme to confirm. Maybe the Normal programme doesn't allow for any adjustment.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

Ok, I'll try the other programs (pots/pans, china, sani) and see if there is any extra interim rinse with those. The factory default has the Pots/Pans & China modes with an interim rinse and then final rinse, the Sani with two interim rinses and then the final rinse.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

I ran the Pots/Pans program this morning, and instead of doing one interim rinse it did two interim rinses, and then the final rinse.
    So the #26 in the service menu did add a 2nd interim rinse to the Pots/Pans program, but the Normal program is still without any interim rinse before the final rinse.
    This is weird.

• mr_wash
    12 years ago

What can happen is that the Normal programme has been created for the energy label and therefore doesn't allow any modifications. It's good to know that the setting change did work.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

I also just tried the Express program, and nothing was changed on it.
    Still does a 5 minute wash, 5 minute interim rinse, and 5 minute final rinse. So it didn't add a 2nd interim rinse to that one. I never use the Express program because it's just to short (5 min main wash) to clean well.

I'll do the China/Crystal program tonight and see if it has been changed.

By the way, are there any other settings in the Service Menu that might be worth changing?

• mr_wash
    12 years ago

Hi Fauguy

There are the following that you may want to consider:
    Position 20: Increase main wash temp. This would make your Express main wash longer and the other programmes except Normal and C & C hotter
    Position 23: Increase water quantity. Adds about 1/2 quart more water per fill.
    Position 27: Improved drying. Increases final rinse temp and extends drying phase

• fauguy
    12 years ago

Ok thanks. I might give those a try.
    I'm not sure what the main was temp is supposed to be for the different programs, but I have measured the wash temp my self in the Pots/Pans and it was 147 degrees. I think someone said before that the Normal program is about 135, and the China Crystal is 110.
    Do you know how much higher the #20 setting increases the main wash temp by? I wouldn't want it too hot where it might damage items.

The #23 for adding 0.5 quart of extra water in the fill would be about 0.2 gallons (looking at a unit conversion site), which doesn't seem like a lot. I think the manual says the dishwasher fills with 1.2 gallons in each cycle, or about 4.8 gallons total when using the Normal program - as it has 4 cycles.

I've only had an issue with drying (and cleaning) when using the Express program. Maybe the combination of the #20 for extra water temp, #23 for more water, and #27 for hotter rinse might make the Express program more useable.

• mr_wash
    12 years ago

Going by my table the Pots and Pans cycle heats the main wash to 75�C (167�F), the Normal programme heats to 50�C (130�F) and C & C to 45�C (113�F). The Express wash heats to 40�C (104�F). With the temp increase it would affect maybe the Normal programme to 60�C (140�F) and the Express wash to 50�C (120�F). As P & P uses the hottest temp it would be affected. I think your Sani wash goes to 65�C (150�F).

• fauguy
    12 years ago

Today I ran the unit empty with the Express Wash program before making any of the other changes to the service menu. I timed all the cycles and measured the water level.
    Then I went into the service menu and engaged the #20, #23, and #27, as #26 was already activated.
    I then ran the Express program again. All that I could tell was different was the water level. Instead of it being just below the horizontal handle on the filter, it was to the middle of the handle, about 0.5 inch more water. But the rest of the program times were unaffected, as it still did a 5 minute main wash, 4 minute interim rinse, and 4 minute final rinse, and then a 5 minute dry with fan.

So with those items activated in the service menu, the only one that works in conjunction with the Express program is the #23 for the extra water fill.

By the way, the unit is connected to the hot water line in the house, which the water heater is set to 140F. But there is about 50 feet of pipe in the walls to connect the two. Maybe since the water is hot when filling the unit, that is why it didn't increase the temp and wash time?

I'll have to try it now with the Pots/Pans program to see if there are any differences in the temp and cycle times.

• mr_wash
    12 years ago

Sounds like it's got to do with the software set for the US version. I know that these settings certainly work for the other country versions.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

Last night I did the Pots/Pans program with all those settings activated in the service menu. I noticed that during the pre-wash there was more water (middle of filter handle), but in the main wash and rinses the water amount was normal (below handle).
    Here are the times: pre-wash 10 minutes, main wash 70 minutes (water temp said 157 F on my baking thermometer near the end of the cycle), first 5 minute interim rinse, second 5 minute interim rinse, 35 minute final rinse (thermometer read 142 F), and then 45 minute dry with the lower fan on.

Without those settings activated in the service menu, the Pots/Pans would normally do a pre-wash 10 minutes, main wash 60 minutes (temps read 147 F), one 5 minute interim rinse, 25-30 minute final rinse (haven't measured the temp), and then a 20 minute dry with the lower fan on.

Keep in mind the few times I've done a temp measurement, I was using a cooking thermometer that I'd have to place in the water for a minute to get a reading.

So using the Pots/Pans program it does appear that the #23 for extra water only happens in the pre-wash (not main wash, interim rinse, or final rinse), the #20 for increase temp did raise the main wash water an extra 10F and washed for 10 minutes longer, the #26 does do a 2nd interim rinse, and the #27 for improved drying did increase the final rinse cycle time by about 10 minutes and then the drying mode increased 20 minutes with the fan on.

I'll have to check the Normal program to see if any of those settings will effect it, but I already know that the #26 does not add any interim rinse to the Normal mode, since I tried that one on Monday.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

Mr_wash,

Do you have all this info that your getting out of an on-line service manual (PDF)? If so, could you possibly email it to me if I post my email address?

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    12 years ago

I found a stainless Advanta on closeout for ~$1050 (a bit high?) - We decided against it after reading here that it was an even older discontinued model than all of last years models that are on the market in various places right now, plus it has a cheaper drying cycle etc...

I would love to find a discontinued Meile with the cutlery tray - but don't think I will...

• winesnob
    12 years ago

I have had my Miele La Perla for five months, I never notice anything going on during the cycle so I guess that is a good thing, and the price of 1699 is a great price, I gave 2500 for mine, and then to boot it just cost me $180 to have Geek Squad come out and install the remote vision. It is harder than it seems. I am wondering just exactly if it is worth it to have. I use Cascade and have never noticed anything wrong with my dishes, I use the china/crystal program most of the time. Gosh I am wondering if I am missing something, I just put them in, turn it on and walk away but then perhaps that is where the remote vision will come into play. Miele is a great product, the DW is my first, but we are remodeling and all my appliances are going to be Miele. I love how quiet it is, if it were not for the red light I would not know it was running.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

All the remote vision is going to do in a dishwasher is if there is fault during the operation, such as an overflow, not filling with water, water not draining, etc, it will send an alert to Miele over your home WiFi, and they will contact you about it. To me, it seems like a waste of money on their dishwasher, washer and dryer, but might be good to have on the refrigerator, just in case there was a cooling issue.

• fauguy
    12 years ago

montel,
    An Advanta is the pre Inspira model, that was discontinued about 4 years ago I think. If a store is selling it for $1050, that is a bit much, would expect $700-800 on it. I guess you can't find anyone local selling discontinued last-years models? If you're going to invest in a Miele, it makes sense to get one with the cutlery rack.

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    12 years ago

fauguy,
    Yes I agree it is overpriced - we do want the cutlery rack, just not sure how much we will have to spend. We are doing some looking this weekend plus plan to over Labor Day hoping there are some sales.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Montel,

Premiumapplianceoutlet.com has an Excella I G2630SCi for $799 with free shipping. No dings or scratches. I think that is a great price.

It has a black control panel and black partial door than can be changed for custom or SS though.

• Evagelion
    11 years ago

I just bought a Miele Futura Dimension G5505SCU and I was wondering if anybody knows whether there is a programming mode like the older models where you can increase water fill and add in second interim rinse?

I called Miele service line and the woman just said no and told me the dishwasher has salt dispenser.... it was obvious she was flipping through the user manual... pretty useless help there.

If you do, could you let me know the steps to set it up please?

Thank you.