Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Samsung FlexDuo ovens--anyone know anything?

Posted by writersblock (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 16:48

We're looking for a lower end slide-in range for renovating a townhouse. I'm quite taken with the look of the new Samsung radiant slide-ins (I know, but maybe the one after this can be induction), but I was wondering if it would be worth the extra $350 to go with the DuoFlex oven, which is basically a single oven with a divider that lets you set two different temperature zones.

I totally see that for someone who regularly needs both ovens it's not a good idea (for one thing, what happens to the angel food cake when you have to open the door to baste the roast below it), but for us, since we were thinking of getting a despised OTR convection micro and using that as the main oven since we don't need a big oven very often, I was wondering if just using the top part with the divider in for every-day use would be more efficient than heating the whole cavity. (We can't vent out, and the ventahood ARS is out of budget) which is why we were resigned to OTR, but this would let us go to a small countertop micro.

The higher priced range also gets you a triple sized rather than double sized burner and a warming drawer, but those are not compelling to me.

Has anyone heard anything about how well this oven system works? I confess to some doubts about samsung ever since I owned one of their countertop microwaves that evidently became possessed by demons and took to turning itself on in the middle of the night and shrieking.

At $1650, there's no other double oven slide in for less than about a thousand dollars more.

Here is a link that might be useful: samsung with flexduo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Samsung FlexDuo ovens--anyone know anything?

Heard things? Yes. Mostly, I've heard questions.

There is a similar thread going right now over on chowhound.com where somebody is trying to track down one of the rumored Samsung slide-in ranges with the flex-duo oven.

Consumer Reports published a brief note about planning to test a flex-duo oven (on the radiant in the picture you linked to above.

About the only a first hand review that I've found is the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung slide in with flex-duo review

o

Very interesting review. Thanks so much!

o

Incidentally, FWIW, they do seem to have made some changes with the oven from the standalone range to the slide-in, as far as the oven. It's closed-door broiling, for one thing, and the pizza/chicken nugggets/etc settings have been replaced by Healthy Cooking presets like salmon and baked potato.

I'd be curious to know if there are any performance changes, but the only thing to do is wait and see, I guess.

Thanks again.

This post was edited by writersblock on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 23:44

o

I have this range for a few months. I usually keep the shelf in and use the top oven. When I'm in cookie mode, I use the oven, and cook 3 sheets evenly. I make soup and sauces, and had to adjust to using LOW settings to simmer. Burners definitely hotter than my prior oven. It didn't take long to learn to use the controls.

o

Thanks, bookworm. Great to hear from someone who has it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here