Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
covingtoncat

Miele DW Intall Happening NOW!

covingtoncat
10 years ago

Yay! So excited. I asked the tech about cold water hook up and he said they get asked that a lot and it is no longer true for the new models. Hope that's not inaccurate, but I did specifically ask.

Comments (9)

• covingtoncat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, sorry for the double post. ):

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

Old models like the Incognito needed cold water for the drying cycle (condensation drying with cold water). Newer models blow cool air around the tub.

Personally, I have a Bosch that I hooked up to 140F water to see what it does. With the small amount of water these machines use, a 140F fill cooled down to cold within a minute of spraying. When the machine refilled for the main wash, the water cooled down to about 100F within a minute of spraying again.

Alex

• xedos
    10 years ago

trainee - the cold water hook up is to provide that is not too hot for the china, so it won't bake to death.

Our experience has not seen a 40 deg drop in water temp in the fill process.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Well congrats! Hope it's finished by now.

I just got my first Miele DW too. I find the electronic keyboard amazingly easy to figure out: scroll to set for water hardness, wash cycles with features etc... and press clear when your confused. I did put in 3/4" of the provided salt (we have medium hardness to water), fill the rinse dry, and I use a tablespoon of Cascade-no more, for a full cycle.

It's a superb machine. You'll like it more each day!

• covingtoncat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess our water here (Puget Sound Area) is too soft to activate the water softener. It did tell me to add jet dry tho.

The tech said only 1 Tble spoon max per load for normal loads to start so we will see if that needs adjusting over time.

Putting dishes w/food residue on it will take some getting used to. Weird.

• lee676
    10 years ago

I have one of the older Mieles from about 8 years ago (G894SC). I'm re-using it in a kitchen now undergoing renovation and did not know it could be fed with cold water, but the installation manual does indeed say either hot or cold will work, but that hot will save some time since it will start from a higher temperature when heating. I can't imagine with the small amount of water it draws at one time it will make a huge difference though - the hot water will have had time to cool down in the pipeline (unless I've just run the hot water in the kitchen sink), and the cold won't be near-freezing in the wintertime (unless I've just run the cold water in the kitchen sink) because again the water will have mostly been indoors in the pipeline warming up to room temperature. The water heater is barely large enough to use the shower or tub in both bathrooms at the same time, and may not be large enough in the winter time, so I'm wondering if a cold water hookup for the dishwasher would be a good idea. I'm doing that with my 240v washing machine (the dishwasher unfortunately runs on 120v/15a power so is slower to heat water than the clothes washer).

I'm also concerned the built-in mechanical non-return valve on the discharge side to prevent waste water from flowing back into the dishwasher has been removed and replaced with a standard dishwasher water intake hose, albeit a burst-resistant stainless steel braided one. The manual (link below, pages 29-32) says it may not work with it, and indeed it didn't the first time we tried, it complaining with an error code I don't have with me at the moment, but trying it again it ran through a full cycle once I cancelled the error code, and it seems to work fine now. Should I replace it with a Miele hose with the special valve (shown below)?

Also, does it make a significant difference to mount the dishwasher to the cabinet using the side screws and bushings (as shown on pg. 27) as well as the usual top screws fastening it to the underside of the countertop? The side screws are not to be used unless your dishwasher opening is 60cm (23-5/8") wide and not 24". Will using the side fasteners make it more stable or quieter?

Thx.

(My Miele dishwasher incidentally is not an "incognito" model that's hidden behind a full cabinet panel overlay; rather it has a vent at the top front of the door, on the control panel. The stainless steel panel below the top control panel can be replaced with a panel that matches the cabinet doors as an alternative to the stainless steel panel that matches the control panel above it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele DW Installation Manual, circa 2007

This post was edited by lee676 on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 16:06

• kaseki
    10 years ago

The Miele hose in the picture above is the water intake hose, not the discharge hose. Inside the bulge are two solenoid valves for turning the water on and off. Replacing this with an open hose would require another solenoid valve to exist in the dishwasher (don't know whether it exists or not) to block an otherwise continuous stream of fill water filling the unit.

Further, this hose is designed to keep hose leaks off of the floor by transporting them inside the corrugated covering to the pan at the bottom of the dishwasher where there is a leak sensor. The solenoid valves have to be at the hose connection to block leaks that can't be sensed when the dishwasher is off.

The discharge hose is supposed to go to a standpipe or dishwasher drain port on a garbage disposal. With a standpipe, open to air above, there should not be any reverse flow until the water level in the kitchen approaches 3 ft unless the trap is blocked. With a garbage disposal port, it is possible to fill the entire disposal with water by draining a lot from a sink all at once. In that case a check valve of some sort would be needed. There could be one in the Miele drain hose, or the Meile discharge pump may perform that function. I have neever dissected the drain hose.

For lowest noise, top and sides should be sealed, and the bottom skirt used. However, to seal the sides and provide a surface for the screws to attach to correctly, one or two trim strips matching the cabinet material need to be added to make the cabinet width at the door area the correct dimension.

kas

• lee676
    10 years ago

oops, meant to write intake hose - I knew that's what that was, not the discharge hose. I'm concerned because the contractor used just a standard braided dishwasher intake hose. There apparently is some other valve inside the machine since water isn't pouring everywhere when the machine is off. Is Miele the only manufacturer that uses these hoses, and is it a standard Miele part shared between different dishwasher models? Can it be used with non-Miele dishwashers too?

Thanks for the info.

• kaseki
    10 years ago

I only know that it is expensive, and that a hose that looks just like that is used on my Optima. Did your tech use a standard dishwasher hose even though the correct hose was available?

kas