Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sreedesq

Which Miele Dishwasher is the right choice?

sreedesq
10 years ago

I am currently debating between the lower models of the Miele dishwashers (Classic, Crystal, and Dimension) and trying to decide which model is the best fit for me. I want the cutlery tray and exterior controls similar to the G5225SCSS (I don't prefer the Miele handle). But, I'm not sure if the 3D cutlery tray, the auto-open drying, china mode, intensive mode, Q4 are worth upgrading to the Crystal or Dimension? I would love to hear from those of you who have any of these newer models on your experiences using those features and whether you think they are worth the extra cost. Thanks!

Comments (32)

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

There is already a ton of information on here regarding what you are asking. Do a search for it on here, or use google and specify gardenweb and miele and any of your other options it should come up.

We love our dimension with the 3d cutlery tray, would never not have that now.

Phil

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

The first thing you need to find out is the hardness level of your local water supply.

If it is below 4 gpg then you should consider the Classic.

If it is 4 gpg or above then should consider the Crystal with built-in water softener or higher.

• katy-lou
    10 years ago

We have the dimension with the auto door and 3d cutlery tray. Very nice and so far really enjoy it.

• sreedesq
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dee,
    Thanks for pointing that out. I will test the water. I will mention that I am on county water and not a well.

Katy-Lou,
    Thanks for your insight regarding the Dimension. I wondered if people actually adjusted the 3D tray and used that feature and enjoyed it or if it was an extra perk most never used. I'm glad to know you enjoy it!

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I leave my 3D in the down position all the time. I use it for whisks, ladles and other large utensils. It is one of the best features of this dishwasher. I have the Diamond, which is perhaps a bit over the top. But the Dimension and Dimension Plus are very significant upgrades over the lower models.

• sreedesq
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much akcorcoran! Your comments about the Bosch are really helpful, b/c I did look at the 800 series and I wasn't that impressed with the quality of the racks.

My Bluestar dealer has a floor model Dimension Plus they are selling for 1250, I would need to buy a new door (it is panel ready) for 220. It's never been hooked up and has a full warranty and is in great shape. So, I think I am going with that option!

• mjocean
    10 years ago

We also love our FDP. The floor model sounds like a good deal - go for it!
    MJ

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

That's a great price if it's got full warranty - with a panel door, it doesn't matter what the front looked like! I think you'll be really happy!

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

P.S. I realized in my photos, that we have cutlery with mother-of-pearl handles so it doesn't fit in the slots like traditional flatware. That looks pretty disorganized! Most people's flatware lays right in in a row.

If you're going to your dealer's showroom, bring your plates, cutlery and favorite glasses! I even brought our wine glasses. You want to be sure it fits and play around with it!

• sreedesq
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought it yesterday and brought it home! My door should be in soon. I'm so excited :)

It does have full warranty and was never hooked up in the showroom.

Do you all use the Miele Salt, Rinse Aid, and Dishwasher Tabs?

Thanks again for all of your help!!!

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

Yay for you! I really think you'll love it. It's ridiculous how many times my hubby and I say that the Miele rocks. :-)

Oh, lordy, there is a lot of discussion on whether to use the Miele products- you should search on the boards because there are people that have had Mieles a lot longer than I have and are better experts on the subject.

Here's where we are:
    1) We use the Miele Dishwasher Tabs - the dishes are sparkly clean and while a bit more expensive, I didn't feel like trying to save a few bucks but struggle with it. I can't remember the brand but some people swear by another brand and they break them in half...? Check the other posts on that. DO NOT use Cascade or regular detergents!
    2) We did use the Miele Rinse Aid - which came in a really annoying bottle that doesn't pour well. I don't know that it is anything magic but it was brand new and we wanted to give it all the love and attention we could. :) We still have 1/3 of the bottle and completely filled it the first time, then have replenished when it said it was low, so it the bottle goes fairly far.
    3) OK, the salt is complicated. You MUST use salt if you have hard water. We live in a city with fairly good, soft water and I think the levels are low enough that we aren't necessarily required to use it. That said, the machine says "Needs Salt." all the friggin' time so I bought some and we're actually going to try to figure it out this weekend. I thought it was supposed to self-test somehow and turn that off - or I could turn it off, I don't know. Salt is a must in Europe but confusing here! :)

sounds like you got an awesome deal - enjoy your Miele!

• covingtoncat
    10 years ago

Akcorcoran: make sure you use the Miele salt, not regular ktichen or rock salt. My salesperson said you are also to add the entire box with a cup of water. It isn't required where I live and in fact the installer says it will probably never be needed, but I asked about it anyway to be sure.

IDK, maybe instructions are on the box.

If people can post pictures of how they load similar to your photo above, I'd really appreciate it. We are still struggling as a family to figure it out.

TIA!

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

It's the Somat salt, right? You load the whole box? I will definitely read the instructions!

I'd love to see how other folks load their Miele DWs - maybe we should start a separate thread for that? Would be so helpful!

• sreedesq
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I could definitely use that thread! I have seen all kinds of thoughts on here re: tablets. Someone said Miele changed the formula? My initial thought now is to spring for all Miele stuff, see how the dishwasher works with it, then maybe try others in a month or so to compare...

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Before adding salt, test the water to see the hardness. I've had 2 machines now and never needed the salt.

If you don't need salt, call Miele tech support and ask them to help you disable the softener so you don't keep getting annoying messages. It can be done over the phone. They direct the owner.

If salt is required, ask them for instructions on how much etc to use though that info may be on the website somewhere (website is not the easiest).

Some of us longtime owners like Method Smarty Tabs, which are the ones we cut. Target, Amazon, drugstore.com all carry them.

We also like the Finish Quantum tabs -- the one with the red ball in the center.

I can't stand tolerate powder detergents so the tabs have been a godsend for me. So easy. I use 1/2 tab with smaller and lighter soil loads. If I have huge load with pots & pans I go with the Quantum.

Was using Miele tabs but they changed the formulation. It really depends on the water and how each one works with it. Somat tabs are the most expensive but they also do a great job.

Re loading. Everyone has their style. I go back to front. There have been photos of many crazy loads. I pretty much keep the bottom right side rack folded down for pots and bowls but I put everything possible in there.

• covingtoncat
    10 years ago

Yes! Photos please!!!

As for the salt and rinse aid, the product they had at the appliance store was white and said Miele on the box and bottle, didn't say somat. I have seen the Somat products on various websites and the box is red w/blue writing.

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

OK, I posted a new thread asking for pics of loaded Miele dws, so you guys have to help me out and post yours! Otherwise, I'll look like a dork with a totally disorganized dishwasher! :)

• steph2000
    10 years ago

akcorcoran, can you tell me the model number of your DW? I went into the appliance stores and they said "Miele Futura Dimension Plus" was not enough information to pinpoint the exact dishwasher or give me a quote. They weren't impressed when I knew it was the one that popped open...

Egads, picking appliances is hard.

• Regenshire
    10 years ago

I just purchased a Miele Dimension dishwasher last week. The models were just updated and the Miele Dimension Plus line no longer exists. It's auto open feature was incorporated into the new Dimension models. The models are:

Dimension G 5605 SC
    Dimension G 5605 SCi
    Dimension G 5670 SCVi
    Dimension G 5675 SCSF
    Dimension G 5675 SCVi

The only difference between these are the door styles I believe.

You might want to find a different appliance vendor if they couldn't look up this information for you.

• sreedesq
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steph,
    I couldn't agree more with Regenshire, he is right about the Dimension (didn't check model #'s) and you need a new dealer stat! I'm not recommending you order from them, but abt.com and ajmadison.com can give you a good overview of models and their features online.

By no means am I a Miele dishwasher expert, but my understanding is that as of very recently they make 4 base models of their Futura dishwasher line (their only line and from cheapest to most - Classic, Crystal, Dimension, and Diamond). Then, you get into whether you want certain features - colors, handles, cutlery trays on the lower end, etc. that give you variety in model numbers of the base model.

The Dimension now has the features that only the Dimension Plus used to have (auto-open dry specifically since that is what you are interested in). The reason I was able to get such a deal on the Dimension Plus is that it has been discontinued and the showroom dealer wanted it off his floor.

HTH!

• carynia
    8 years ago

Are you all still loving your Miele Futura Dimension dishwashers two years later and without any significant problems? Seems now there's only one Dimension (no more Dimension Plus) and priced lower now at around $1399-1499 now. Help please, QUESTION: Can anyone tell us if when the auto-open feature opens the door at the end of the cycle do any water drips get on the floor??? Just concerned about water getting on the hardwood floors! Thanks!

• dbabrams
    8 years ago

I haven't noticed any water on our floor.

• carynia
    8 years ago

@dbabrams - Thanks! Have you had your dishwasher for long and any complaints or issues, or anything you absolutely love? We have to make a decision soon whether or not it's worth it to upgrade to the Dimension model...

• sreedesq
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dishwasher still works great and no water on the floor.

• carynia
    8 years ago

@sreedesq - Sounds good! Have you owned your (auto-opening) Miele Dimension model for very long? Just curious about long term reliability too.

• carynia
    8 years ago

Also anyone ever have odor issues with the Miele dishwashers? I've seen this as a common complaint on Bosch dishwashers and some others as well, think it has something to do with the filtering system. Since we'd only use ours about once or twice a week I was wondering if that could create an ' inside the dishwasher' odd smell. If anyone has ever had this problem or knows how to avoid it, please post some tips! Thanks :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I had the problem with my Bosch (in use for 1-1/2 years), used citrus-based dishwasher cleaner one time (that's all it took) and the issue has not recurred.

• sreedesq
    Original Author
    8 years ago

2 yrs in July. No odors here. I use miele tabs and aid

• Michelle Culp
    7 years ago

I'm considering the Miele Futura Dimension machine and the Bosch Benchmark. I am leaning more towards the Miele. I have a 4 year old KA that is a piece of JUNK! My biggest complaint is it's not nearly as quiet as I expected. I have a small great room setup and I sit about 10 feet from the dishwasher and I don't want to hear it while reading or watching TV. Having been burned once, I am really nervous about spending $1400 and not being happy with the machine. Are your machines super quiet?

• lascatx
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just ordered a Benchmark. It is replacing an Thermador (essentially a Bosch) and my choices were limited by requiring a panel ready model. If I had not needed a panel, I probably would have gone with the 800 Series Bosch on sale at Best Buy for $1079. The noise level is 40 dBs -- one of the lowest out there, and Bosh make a good machine.

ETA: My Benchmark will be installed tomorrow -- will try to rememberr to come back and tell you what I think.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

sreedesq, I don't know if yo've made your decision, but I had my Benchmark installed yesterday. There is a similar difference in dB level between my older unit and the new one. Can I tell the difference? Yes. Could everyone? I'm not sure. If your sound sensitivity and the room situation demand the quietest possible, them do the upgrade. If quiet enough that you will often (not always) have to check whether the DW is running and not have to raise your voice or TV volume is good enough, then anything in the mid to low 40s should make you happy.