Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Washer pulling 53 amps during spin cycle

Posted by gryd (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 15:50

I have a 10 year old top loader GE washing machine model - WBSE3120bww. My utility company came out free of charge to make sure I didn't have voltage issues. They hooked up a device and laptop to my electrical box and determined that my washer was pulling 53 amps during spin cycle causing house lights on all circuits to flicker. It does sound like it struggles during agitation as well.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Is it worth fixing a ten year old machine?

Thanks,
Greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Washer pulling 53 amps during spin cycle

Your washer pulling 53 amps is impossible without blowing a breaker. Your washer is connected to a 15 amp or possibly a 20 amp breaker.
Most likely your washer is pulling 5.3 amps

o

Since that washer should be protected by a 15 ampere or 20 ampere breaker, why isn't the breaker tripping? The washer is rated at 10 amperes.

If they are just seeing a spike to 53 amperes, not long enough to trip the breaker, you could have a defective startup capacitor, or the associated centrifugal switch. Or something totally different. Is is just at the start of a spin cycle, or continuing?

o

It continues for a couple minutes. It was my utility company that did the test. It was probably just a spike then to 53 amps. They are recording my home's energy out of courtesy. I will ask them about why the breaker isn't tripping when they return. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here