Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another package question! How to choose within budget

Posted by courtney1000 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 15:37

We are also building a house and I am considering the following, comfortable going to 13-14k:
Thermador 36" all gas range (don't think the clicking will bother me)
Thermador sapphire DW (with 3rd rack), $400 extra on current promo
Electrolux wave touch single wall oven
Sharp microwave drawer
Vent a hood insert

Fridge -?? Was going to do thermador with free hood insert but it seems so tall inside. Love the new SZ 36" FD but can't swing $9600 for a fridge rit now. Was thinking kitchen aid architect series FD, 72" tall. A little plastic, but I am sure does the job just fine.

Didn't include warming drawer or steam over, but have cabinet space for future additions if needed.

What do you think? I am hoping our kitchen doesn't look like an appliance store :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another package question! How to choose within budget

I'm actually looking at similar items - a mix of thermador and electrolux wave touch. Do you know if the stainless grades are similar on these?

o

I am not sure, but good point. I am going to go look at all these in the showroom before I commit, to make sure they are close.

o

Capital Culinarian CGSR362B2-NG 36" Gas Self Clean Range with Rotisserie and Grill $4999 delivered. Floor model in link but this is normally $7900 plus tax.

The range in link is listed by appliance store as used but is a floor model with warranty.

Vent-A-Hood Professional Series BH340PSLBSS $1767
This is 900 cfm but if you believe the magic VAH is selling this is at least 1200 "normal" cfm.

GAGGENAU BO250611 24" Single Electric Wall Oven $3200

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAGGENAU-BO250611-24-Single-Electric-Wall-Oven-/271224687848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f26404ce8

KitchenAid Architect Series II KFCS22EVMS $2500

Miele Futura Crystal Dishwasher G5225SS $1299

Sharp Drawer off of Ebay $505

Total $14270

Far superior to the packages you are considering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Capital Range

o

deeageaux knows a lot more about appliances than I do, but I'm going to take exception with the Gag recommendation. I suspect the inside dimensions of the Gag 24" oven are smaller than the 30" Elux. And where I live, it's more difficult to get service on Gag, as well. Depending on your baking/roasting needs and the service available where you live, the Elux may still be a better bet. Cheaper, too.

o

Since Courtney will have the 36" oven to take care of the big jobs like roasting turkeys and very large meats both the Capital oven and the Gaggenau will do a fantastic job of filling her baking/roasting needs.

Gagg fits commercial half sheets directly into their slots. You can bake 3 half sheets with great consistency and results. Unlike Elux has air catalyzer to clean air of grease before exiting to kitchen and has side opening door so you don't have to reach over a hot oven door.

Almost no one needs two huge ovens. For most people a 24" is ideal 95% of time since it reaches temperature quicker and fits most daily needs. But almost everyone needs a big oven sometime hence the 36" oven.

The great thing now that Gagg is part of Bosch Siemens Home Appliance group is that service is widely available. At least anywhere where homeowners can afford $14k worth of appliances.

This post was edited by deeageaux on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 15:31

o

Good points. Tonight I baked in my rental house 30" inch oven and my sheet pans fit with about 1-1.5 inches around. I might take those pans to look at a Gaggenau but it seems I'd have to switch to smaller pans for it to fit.

On the other hand, I've had to just rearrange the whole kitchen due to building codes (an inch here and there) so I am loosing a couple of wide spaces to fit a 30" oven so the Gagg may work after all.

The open high BTU burners on the Capital actually scare me - I am afraid I'd burn down the house, but we do stir fry several times a week. Our rental house has a GE profile cooktop and we can barely boil water- ugh.

o

Actually, you are more likely to burn the house down with a sealed burner range where 75% of the heat goes to the side where there might be something flammable. On the CC 50% of the heat goes straight up directly to the pan.

Plus you get gas AND self clean plus that heavy duty rotisserie that can handle 40 lbs.

You will be amazed how much more crisp your veggies are in your stir fry vs your current cooktop.

Buy three of these
13" x 18" x 1"

And three of these
Silpat half sheet mats

And maybe a full size commercial sheet pan or two for your CC and a year from now you will say " That DeeAgeaux guy was sooo right!" LOL

This post was edited by deeageaux on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 0:26

o
Gagg

Below is another 24" Gagg from the same seller new in factory sealed box but $2500 because it is in aluminum finish instead of SS.

I have a previous generation 24" Gagg oven in aluminum finish with a SS Sharp drawer underneath. It is hard to tell the difference in color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gagg

o

Sorry, I completely missed "range." Then you don't need a 30" second oven. There used to be a Gag with either french doors or side-swing door. If that's still available, may be something to consider if the oven will be at eye level. Those kinds of doors are easier to use than bottom swing door.

o

deegeaux,
Why do you prefer the KA frige to the GE Profile or JA?

o

The JA is just the KA with different handles and a bigger price tag, both Whirlpool brands.

Whirlpool fridges in the recent past have had better durability records than GE ,

Now that GE is reversing the trend of offshoring and subcontracting production of refrigerators and bringing it back to GE factories in Kentucky the quality of GE refrigeration may start improving.

o

Thanks, deeageaux. I wish you were in my area so I could order from you (i'm in S FL). So, for @ $3000, is the KA your pick? I also saw a Viking for $4000, which would be less with KD's discount (plus I've ordered others things from store).

o

I listen to the wise people on Gw. Today I went to an appliance store with LOTS to compare. The 4-door JA (JFX2597AEM) was less expensive than the KA, due to a $300 rebate, so $2400.

Any opinions?

o

I like the JA handles better than the KA.

Plus it is ~$30 cheaper so go for it.

BTW I don't sell anything :)

o

So how come you are so wise?

o

I agree you would probably like the high output burner for stir fries but this statement needs to be thought through a little more.

"Actually, you are more likely to burn the house down with a sealed burner range where 75% of the heat goes to the side where there might be something flammable. On the CC 50% of the heat goes straight up directly to the pan."

The amount of heat captured and transferred to your food will depend on a number of things including the size of the pan in relation to the flame as well as the material the pan is made of, the shape of the pan and even what you are cooking. This number would vary widely. There is nothing inherent in either an open or sealed burner that makes one or the other heat more effeciently or more evenly to all pans in all situations. Can you say where you even got those numbers?

o

The appliance engineer I talked when I visited the Capital Factory in Santa Fe Springs Ca.

They make open and closed burners.

It is true in most situations according to him unless the pan is extremely large and able to capture the heat shooting off the sides.

It helps to talk in generalities and what most types of pans people use. Not some extreme outlier.

o
burners

delete

double post

This post was edited by deeageaux on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 0:30

o

Posted by deeageaux
The appliance engineer I talked when I visited the Capital Factory in Santa Fe Springs Ca.

It is very surprising that someone of that level of education would say that. Engineers always seem to be into the specifics. There are so many differences between types of open and sealed burners, I can't imagine someone making such a broad generalization. At low and moderate heat there is almost no difference between open and sealed burners. If you have the burners wide open, you will get some additional flare on the sealed burners due to the burner cap but this varies widely depending on how they are engineered.

It is true in most situations according to him unless the pan is extremely large and able to capture the heat shooting off the sides.

I am amazed that he hasn't considered that the flames are adjustable. Maybe he doesn't cook so doesn't realize one of the first things you learn in cooking is to adjust the heat so the flame is under the pan.
Open or sealed, the flame can be too big for the pan. This is one reason that CC has come up with the simmer/small pan burner as Wolf has. Other manufacturers vary the size of burners allowing the user to match pan to burner a little better. You might find some of the bigger open burners have a flame bigger in diameter than some sealed burners. I have seen people that do just turn the burner on high but that is user error and would apply on both open and sealed burners. Even the height of the grates can affect the efficiency of the burners.

It helps to talk in generalities and what most types of pans people use. Not some extreme outlier.

You need specifics. What does he mean by "extremely large" What do you mean by "extreme outlier"? I can use a ten inch frying pan on my sealed burner, on high heat and the flame is under the pan base which is 8 inches across. I actually consider the ten inch pan small.
To make a statement as he did you would need to have some supporting data obtained from measuring heat loss or maybe measuring heat utilized. It would be a massive, expensive study and have to consider a lot of variables.

If you read any threads about cookware, I would hate to guess what most people use. You would have to guess size, shape, material, weight, etc. All these factors then contribute to the efficiency of heat to food. Your idea of an outlier might be what I use everyday and vice versa.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here