Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Half of our appliances have broken

Peke
9 years ago

What is the deal with appliances these days?

My compactor is broken. A 4" PLASTIC gear is the culprit.

Frigidaire all freezer had a huge chunk of ice on one of the seams. I couldn't even see the electronics for the blob of ice. The ice maker only makes 7 ice cubes at a time. Seriously...7. But sometimes water doesn't go into the ice maker. Then the wire flips up to eject ice and nothing comes out. So Frigidaire sent me a new All Freezer. Ice maker still has the problem.

Frigidaire All Refrigerator no longer cools at all. Every repairman Frigidaire sends out refuses to fix the refrigerator because they only get paid $100.00.

American Range Hybrid double oven still has issues. We are on our 3rd oven. The gas oven worked well for a few months. Now the broiler is messing up again. The gas comes on before the igniter is ready. So we have gas fumes. Sometimes the force almost blows the doors open.

The electric oven uses the top and bottom elements to preheat the oven. Every time I use it my food burns on top.
I guess the upper element doesn't turn off.

What is the deal with cheap plastic parts and poorly made appliances?

So the latest count: 3 double ovens, 2 microwave drawers, 2 freezers.... not sure if they will replace the compactor and refrigerator. I hate my Bosch dishwasher.

My Blue Star rangetop is wonderful and my Kitchen Aid warming drawer gets used almost every day. My vent hood is great, but I hate the halogen lights. Too hot.

As expensive as appliances are you'd think they would have better warranties.

I guess I just got all lemons.
Peke

Comments (9)

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Oh no. I am so sorry to hear.

Just about to order the frigidaire twins. Nervous...

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear your woes. Hope everything works out for you in the long run! Our new stuff has been in about 18 months now, without an issue... knock on wood.
    Maybe I'm just lucky, because our old 1986 kitchen appliances were all in working order when I removed them a year and a half ago, and I don't recall ever having a service issue with any of them over the years.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Peke
    That is awful. - I might no the cure for your ice maker - there is a pressure valve that might need to be replaced.
    We had an issue with our elux ice maker when it was new- took a couple service calls and finally it was fixed- initially elux kept trying to replace the tube which didn't do squat.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Peke: I'm so sorry you have had so many problems. Hang in there! (not a fan of the halogen lights on the hood, either...maybe a LED replacement).

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

So sorry Peke to hear about all the bad appliances. Very glad to hear about your BlueStar as I'm getting ready to order a range and electric wall oven. I have had my KitchenAid warming drawer for about 2.5 years and I love it too! Use it sometimes daily.

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

Like all others, I'm sorry. What a headache when you just want all to work.

One thought on the gas stove, with gas turning on before ignitor igniting leaving a gas smell, I recall Trevor (European Kitchens, I think) saying it's an air shutter adjustment issue. So this might also be fixable. Can't recall the thread, but will return if I do.

Edit: found it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wolf R364G carbon monoxide problem

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 13:03

• over40
    9 years ago

"Frigidaire All Refrigerator no longer cools at all. Every repairman Frigidaire sends out refuses to fix the refrigerator because they only get paid $100.00." !!!!!

It sounds like it is under warranty. If so, I think a call to Frigidare is in order and tell them, the repair man can't fix it, and it looks like the only solution is a new unit.

For the other appliances, keep having them fix or replace them. Is there a lemon law for appliances?

• kksmama
    9 years ago

I was getting the run around on my Kobe hood until I wrote this in an email "Must I seek assistance from regulatory agencies, social media and or the court system?" Most of us don't want to spend time being squeaky wheels, but I think you have to make it harder for the manufacturers and retailers to ignore you. Sorry, Peke!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I can offer a suggestion for the halogen lights - I spotted new LED bulbs at Home Depot last week in the size needed for my vent hood. I will be switching them out soon. Replacing the floods in our family room cans with LED bulbs made the room noticeably cooler in the summer.