Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Is a 900 cfm hood enough for this situation?

kaysd
11 years ago

I bought a 36" Wolf AG range with four 16,000 btu burners and a 16,000 btu charbroiler. I don't know if we will use the charbroiler, as we grill outdoors year round (bought a floor model or would have skipped that feature). We have a 10' ceiling over the range, but there is no second floor or attic above the ceiling. The distance from the bottom of the hood to the top of the roof is a straight run of less than 5'. If I have read other posts correctly, it appears long runs and bends reduce efficiency, so higher cfms are needed? I know 1000+ cfm is usually recommended for a range with grill, but I wonder if I need it with such a short, straight run.

My other option is to purchase a higher cfm exterior blower, but both the unit and installation will cost more, and our GC just discovered major plumbing issues in our slab so I need to watch costs very carefully. I don't think a roof mounted blower will be much quieter in our case than an internal blower given the 5' distance, but please let me know if that is an incorrect assumption.

Comments (2)