Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
infohound2006

Noxious new oven smell ??

infohound2006
13 years ago

Our new Electrolux wave-touch double oven is wonderful, except for a persistent noxious offgassing when it's hot.

I get an odd headache and a bit nauseous, with a tight throat -- very much like what I got after I've burned a Teflon pan. I don't like feeling like a sick canary.

The smell is less strong in the upper oven, which we've used more, but still pretty awful from the lower oven, even the 6th or so time we've now used it. DH says not to worry, that it's just a 'new-oven smell', but a strong Teflon-type smell from an enamel-coated oven doesn't seem right.

DH just baked some wonderful monkey bread for DS's birthday, but I'm wondering what other chemicals that bread's absorbed. And what else will we be ingesting along with the birthday cake.

So:

- does anyone know where this is likely from?

- WHAT are the chemicals that are offgassing?

- is this a defect or not?

- and, especially, how do I get rid of it w/o just spreading the chemicals/particles throughout the house? (see PPS. below).

PS. I've just found two other threads on this with (mostly Electrolux) ovens, but still don't know WHAT gets burned off with a self-clean 'burn in' procedure.... or regular baking.

PPS. Well' I've re-read the Electrolux manual, and, though it doesn't recommend a burn-in, it does say:

CAUTION: The health of some birds is extremely sensitive to the fumes given off during the self-clean cycle of any wall oven. Move birds to another well-ventilated room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another thread: mentions insulation, 'manufacturing residue'

Comments (42)

• infohound2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, I found a few more references. It sounds like the smell can be from multiple sources, but doesn't leave me reassured.

What's really frustrating is that my family has respiratory problems, so in our recent remodel I've been very careful to use low-VOC floor finishes, cabinets, interior paint -- and we moved in only after the (very few) remaining VOCs had offgassed. And, despite all my care, for the 10+ oven cycles so far our house has been perfused with the noxious chemicals from the oven.

-------
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions/archive/index.php/t-726272.html

snv1492
    08-07-2007, 09:20 PM
    From Google

The bonding agents used in the insulation blanket around the oven cavity go through a curing process. The odor will dissipate after a few bake cycles or after the first clean cycle. This is normal. Important: The health of some birds is extremely sensitive to the fumes given off during the self-cleaning cycle. Exposure to the fumes may result in death to certain birds. Always move birds to another closed and well ventilated room.
    reducereuserecycle

08-08-2007, 06:07 AM
    i had to off gas my new oven while 9 months preggo :irked: I turned mine on 500 degrees and rotated between that and the high broiler so I could get all the elements off gassed at once. I opened the doors. It was horrible! It finally went away. I havn't self cleaned the oven yet, but when i do i will leave the house and leave some windows open cause it will off gas a lot then also.

--------
    http://answers.walmart.com/answers/1336/product/12016177/questions.htm

the new smell
    I got this oven last night,it said to turn the oven on an leave the door open an turn it on for 15mins an this would remove odor trace that may be there.Well I did an then I cooked a pizza in it and the taste of the pizza was bad.How do I remove the smell an keep my food from tasting the same way? I want to start using it but don't want to have the bad taste in my mouth...Please help Thank Yiou
    asked 6 months ago
    By
    shelene, - usa

I found the smell is in all the parts, so when you do that "15 minutes," put EVERYTHING (racks, pan) inside it. Also, I washed them all (quickly) first. After the first day the smell was gone.
    answered 5 months, 3 weeks ago
    By
    pididi
    - Boston, MA
    answer 2
    First, Wash all of the racks and pans in the dishwasher or hot soapy water. Then replace in the oven and turn your oven on to 450, set for 15 minutes and DON"T LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN! Then Open the door and cook at 450 for another 5 minutes. That will solve the problem, It's possible also that it was just a lousy pizza.

Go Cooking!

------------
    http://forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26789#93374

theodog

USA
    3 Posts
    Posted - 04/13/2010 : 4:41:27 PM Show Profile Reply with Quote
    I have an electric double oven with convection. When I turn it on to heat it up a strange smell comes from inside the oven. It smells like lighter fluid. I have had it serviced 4 times, including a new fan and it still smells like a charcoal pit is being lit up. No one can find anything wrong....

Posted - 04/17/2010 : 7:27:04 PM Show Profile Reply with Quote
    It is 4 years old. I used the 'self cleaning' last week, the smell is worse. no one can figure it out, but the smell makes me nauseaus.

"KitchenAid just took my oven back. One of the guys told me he has heard of this problem, not often but in the past. He said that they use chinese parts and sometimes they can break down, when the wire coatings wear near the insulation it can give off 'lighter fluid' smell.. Who knew...

Angel30
    1717 Posts
    Posted - 06/24/2010 : 2:41:39 PM Show Profile Reply with Quote
    Well I haven't heard that.. The ovens do have formaldyhde in the insulation but this does burn off and does provide the odor during self cleaning. This is why we do recommend to have the self cleaning ran when you can well ventilate the kitchen area as well. Opening of windows or a patio door and also a fan could work best to avoid the strong fumes in the room. You will find this with any oven that offers a self cleaning feature to provide strong odors.

As for the regular heating cycle, I am not sure where that is coming from. After the 2nd or third use that smell should have gone away..

--------
    Last update: March 24, 2009 - 6:39 PM

-------------------
    http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/41750967.html?elr=KArks7PYDiaK7DUHPYDiaK7DUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Q When I turned on my new oven, there was an
    obnoxious odor and it started to smoke. Is it
    defective? I had never used it before, or since,
    but I have been using the burners.

A It's probably not defective. Frigidaire, for
    example, explains that a new stove can give off
    odors or a small amount of smoke. It's generally
    from the fiberglass insulation that contains a
    binding agent to hold it together. The odor will
    diminish after the first use. Before cooking in
    your oven for the first time, however, turn it on
    to 400 degrees for 30 minutes. This will allow
    for an initial burn-in period. Ventilate the room
    by opening a window.

But it's always best to contact the manufacturer
    of your stove or the retailer.

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

Good grief...I never even thought about stuff like this...I have the all gas Electrolux wave touch oven on order...it sounds scary

• wekick
    13 years ago

I have had no such issues with the 2 Electrolux ovens that I have had. I would call them if you have questions. If I felt that bad, I certainly would not run it.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I just bought an Elux induction range and it came with instruction to run the ovens at 400 degrees x 30 mins to burn off any manufacturing residue. After 4 hours, smoke and fumes were still being emitted...picture all windows open, range hood at high, smoke alarms going off. I'm not living in the house now due to the kitchen reno, but will need to get this off-gassing completely resolved before my bird and I can move back in.

Most ovens (and many other electrical appliances, e.g. toasters and hair dryers) have Teflon coating on various parts, so yes, you probably are experiencing PTFE-fumes. PTFE is toxic to birds so that's why Elux includes that warning. I don't know why this process can't be completed during manufacturing instead of Elux endangering the health of its customers and their pets.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

"I don't know why this process can't be completed during manufacturing instead of Elux endangering the health of its customers and their pets."

Apparently You missed the post that "Stated that Miele runs each or their ovens for 5 minutes to be sure everything is "Workin" Not sure if Miele warns you about Birds and self cleaning or even fumes that can occur on "Initial Use".

I suspect other ovens are the same. I've had my Elux oven for close to 5 years now, so I don't recall if some fumes were given off initially, but I put clothes pins on the cats' noses (Just in case)!!!

Gary

• weissman
    13 years ago

Most ovens tell you to do an initial burn in but I thought that was supposed to be to get rid of manufacturing oils. This sounds a lot different.

• lsmurals_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

We bought a new GE Electric convection range (top of the line) and I was told to set the temperature at 400 degrees and run the oven for 30 minutes. I tried this (for 2 days) and it still was omitting an odor. I then was told to run the self-cleaning part and after 40 minutes the fumes were so strong!! There was a white smoke-film throughout my house so we opened windows, ran fans / vents, etc. Our eyes were burning and my wife was getting a headache and getting sick. We couldn't take it any longer so we turned the oven off and left the house for a few hours. Even after coming back to the house at a later time the odor is still very strong!! I'm not sure if this is normal for a new oven, but it's going back to the store first thing Monday morning!

• carolescorner
    9 years ago

hi there, we have a new, in november 2014, may tag/whirlpool range....whirlpool sent an appliance guy out and he said "it smells normal". To me, that means all new ranges have this off gassing and trading it in isn't going to make a difference. we have run ours for at least 10 hours over 450 degrees and still get that smell, with a headache. i'll be darn if i am going to compound the issue by doing the "self-clean" i have a complaint in to the Union of Concerned Scientists, to try and find out what the burn off is, but no response from them. i wanna know what kinda cookies it is i'm really baking these days? formaldehyde cookies anyone?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

It's safe. It's normal. All you can do is be patient. Running a self clean should speed the burn off process but there is no need.

• eshmh
    9 years ago

Miele manual warns the smell of initial use. They suggest run oven x mins @ yyy degree before actually using the oven.

• loveswindowsanddogs_gw gw
    9 years ago

This may seem like an obvious idea, but it happened to my daughter and me in her new apt...

The plastic zipties holding the racks in place were not removed. The smell was awful.

• carolescorner
    9 years ago

hello, thanks for your comments everyone. hvtech states it is "safe and normal". just because something is normal, doesn't mean it's safe....so i am curious how you know it is safe? what is it that is burning off? i would love factory related info if you have any?

I appreciate you taking time to calm my fears, but i don't consider something that gives people a headache and makes them nauseous, "safe". do you have any info about what that smell is? it is obviously a fume, that then permeates our whole house, and i would really appreciate knowing the facts about what it is. thanks so much.

p.s. no, it's not any plastic zipties this time.

• covert86
    8 years ago

I purchased a Frigidaire Gas Slide in oven in July 2014. It has been a year and the stove continues to give off a toxic-like odor. I have run the self clean numerous times and it continues. Technicians cannot find anything wrong but one was kind enough to contact Frigidaire's tech department. They said they have heard of this before and said to run the oven on broil. Supposedly it gets hotter than the self clean temp. But.... the smell continues. If anyone has solved this problem please let me know. Frigidaire is refusing to replace the stove and I cannot cook in it because the odor burns our eyes and throat.

• charlenewood
    8 years ago

I purchased one 2 months ago & the smell is triggering migraines. Had a tech come out & he tried everything & he also turned the oven to highest temp for an hour & still did not correct the problem. Frigidaire service rep informed me today, she could send another service tech out but that even if it's not resolved, that Frigidaire would not replace the range. That was the wrong thing to say because I didn't purchase something I can't use & if they can't resolve the problem & now THEIR product is causing health problems....OH YES THEY WILL, because this girl will not give up!!!!

• covert86
    8 years ago

Don't give up ! I finally got a new stove!!!!! I finally found a tech who smelled the same horrific odor and he consistently reported it to Frigidaire's Tech department. Then I had the salesman who sold me my appliances contact his regional manager. It took over a year but I finally got it two weeks ago.

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

And... did it resolve the problem?

• verbena09
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I recently purchased a GE Hotpoint gas stove and the "new oven smell" is intolerable. I have a New York City studio apartment and the smell is pervasive. I tried leaving the oven on at 450 for 30 minutes, but that didn't clear it up. I notice my back burners also emit an odor. BTW, it is not a self-cleaning stove. My last stove, an Avanti, which I purchased seven years ago, did not have this odor. I think the stove manufacturers should come up with something else other than these sickening oils or whatever it is in the stove that is causing the problem. We shouldn't have to put up with this. Class action anyone?

• practigal
    8 years ago

Ah, no, not any more, the supremes have done away with class actions....

• covert86
    8 years ago

I had this issue for over a year with a Frigidaire Gallery Gas Stove. I finally found a technician that agreed that there was a problem. All the other techs said it was a new stove smell. Not for a year my friends. That smell should burn off after a few times. I fought like hell to get it replaced. Finally the sales rep who sold it to me stepped in and got a regional manager to help. Frigidaire said they won't replace something that they can't link to a part problem. After the regional manager stepped in I got a new one. This one had no smell what so ever. I suggest taking your chances if you can get it replaced.

• bcdragonflii
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We have a Maytag Slide in FIT electric stove that we purchased less than a month ago, same noxious odors. Maytag is saying this isn't a faulty working issue, so it's not covered under warranty. We can't turn on the oven without this horrid odor coming from the back vents, so we can't use it as it is intended to use- that makes it FAULTY! Even the repairman that came out, said it left him feeling ill and the odor taste stuck in his throat! There is no odor coming form inside the oven cavity, no odor when we use the burners, something is cooking and it's not intended for high heat, that makes it faulty. For all we know a paint not meant for heat has been used when being built in China. This is not something a company should ignore, Maytag/Whirlpool/Jenn Air obviously do not care about their customers. Frigidaire, Samsung etc will take returns within 30 days, NOT Maytag/Whirlpool/Jenn Air. Please email me if you have any suggestions or how it was finally resolved bwwfish61@hotmail.com

• internationalsalvage
    8 years ago

I bought a Belling double oven from Harvey Norman. The bottom oven was ok but the top oven is convection and grilled. We put the top oven on tonight and omg the stench, it was a combination of urine and bad plastic burning it was seriously concerning. I have a lung condition and was immediately effected, we turned the oven off and checked for plastic, nothing ? I have just googled and found you all discussing this. I am furious with the store for not giving me this advice and they will be taking it back, this is not good enough !!

Belling / Harvey Norman..

• verbena09
    8 years ago

I am disgusted with the appliance companies foisting ranges on us that have this noxious oven odor. This should be corrected before the ranges leave the factories. I am writing my congressman right after the "... season to be jolly" about these ranges giving off an obnoxious noxious odor.

• covert86
    8 years ago

This noxious smell is not normal. It isn't the usual "burnoff smell". The manufacturers do not want to replace these stoves unless there is a faulty part. They state that they do not cover any odor issues. Go back to the store. If they won't help get a hold of the regional manager. Also get a few repair companies out to check the stove. You need to start a paper trail. It took me about a year to get it replaced.

• Lynn Kiesewetter
    8 years ago

My landlord bought me a new GE stove/oven and the off-gassing was atrocious. A service man came to the house and told me it would go away with the self-cleaning. Well, that cycle was 3 hours of noxious fumes all through the house, even with windows and doors open and fans on. And it still smelled. I have had bronchial irritation ever since the 1st go-around. But it took 4 3 hours sessions with the self-clean to finally be rid of the fumes. Now I've been diagnosed with chemical pneumonia.

HVTECH42's comments about it being safe are dead WRONG

• covert86
    8 years ago

The smell is horrific! Thankfully your situation cleared up with the self cleaning. These companies need to address this issue. Feel better!

• verbena09
    8 years ago

d12345 What did you replace it with? The same make and model or a completely different stove. And did this new one have an odor at first?

• verbena09
    8 years ago

Lynn: You now have chemical pneumonia? You should sue GE. Publicized lawsuits probably are the only way these companies will stop foisting these stoves on us.

• covert86
    8 years ago

It took me a year to replace it. I ended up with the same model but haven't had a problem. The new one had an odor the first time I used it-the burn off. These companies refuse to replace these stoves if the problem isn't a defective part. I had 3 different techs come out from Frigidaire and it was the last one who helped me. Finally the appliance store contacted their regional manager who got me the new stove. I will tell you that the first oven filled my home with that chemical smell. People didn't want to come to my home if the oven would be on. Keep fighting for the new one.

• gramipal
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It almost makes me feel like we're under chemical warfare! I've used my oven quite often for a year now and it still stinks. We had company last night for dinner and the entire house smelled horrible. I've only used the convection setting once, until today and I again, wiped down the entire oven and ran it for 45 min. @ 450 degrees. My house smells awful and My husband & I both have headaches & sore throat. If this continues I am calling Better Business Beaurea and have the thing removed! I've had two Brand New Ranges in the past & have never dealt w/ this problem. This burn off thing should be done in the manufacturing process, NOT in our homes! RRGGG! Frigidaire is the brand.

• verbena09
    7 years ago

I notice that the complaints on this site about the noxious "new oven smell" started in 2007. 2007!! That's almost ten years ago and the new stoves are still giving off the horrible smell and fumes. I purchased my stove about a year ago and have given up trying to use the oven and am spending way too much money on ordering in. I don't think we should accept this situation. But what to do? Are there any lawyers in this group?

• Mike Cernigoi
    7 years ago

WOW !! We are having the same problem ! as most of you ! New GE PROFILE appliance.Smoking like crazy ! first time we turned it on ! Tonight we tried again and same thing ! The house literally fills with Nauseous fumes and smoke ! I cant believe in this day and age that there is not a better way !

• albertroman76
    6 years ago

I bought a GE oven eight months ago, and what I've noticed is that when I turn on the oven, during Pre-heating, there is no horrible smell, but when Pre-heating stops and the normal baking begins, I'm still getting the horrible, toxic smell. Does anyone understand why this might be happening? I haven't tried the self-cleaning yet.

• hvtech42
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

OK it appears I've been chewed out for my comment 2 years ago that it's "safe"... let me clarify as there are obviously caveats to that. When I said that, the main thing I had in mind that it was normal operation and didn't indicate your oven was about to, say, catch on fire. It should go without saying that it isn't good for you to breathe that stuff. The manuals warn to remove birds from the room. But for most normal, healthy people, with good ventilation, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Despite all the improvements we've made in air quality over the past few decades, it's still much worse than average in cities, and those pollutants have solid scientific links to health problems. Your risk of getting sick from the air you breathe is significantly greater in a city. But does that mean everyone needs to move out to the country? Just because something isn't good for people to breathe, doesn't mean it will cause problems with the majority of people, or that everyone's exposure needs to be reduced to zero.

Good ventilation is key. Windows open and kitchen exhaust fan on full speed. That said, not everyone has an exhaust fan, and not everyone with an exhaust fan has an effective one. If you have poor or nonexistent ventilation, you may want to hang outside while the clean cycle runs, especially if you have a sensitive respiratory system. Or, just skip the self clean cycle and put up with the annoying, but less serious fumes for a longer period of time.

And if your oven is producing fumes months or years after you bought it... of course that's not normal and service should be called.

• annagailmiller
    4 years ago

We are on our second Frigidaire Gallery gas range and are so frustrated that the same thing is happening with this unit. We fought to have the first one replaced due to the noxious fumes that were being emitted when the oven was on. We finally ran the 4 hour self-clean and the smell was so bad we had to remove the unit from the house. Irritated eyes, throat, the whole deal. But with three young kids in the house, I'm not keeping that range around.The first technician was no real help, but our local retailer stepped in and we got a replacement. Now, after a few months with the second unit, we're having the exact same issue. A different technician came to look at it a couple weeks ago, confirmed the atrocious smell, which develops after about 20-30 minutes and gets worse the longer and hotter the oven is on. He pulled out the oven from the wall, removed a small piece of insulation from one of the openings in the back metal panel, and we found that this is where the smell is coming from. Whatever they're treating that insulation with is producing a toxic smell. So it's not a broken part or anything wrong with the range; it's how they are intentionally making the units. So now we're waiting to hear back from Frigidaire, but of course I no longer want a replacement unit, seeing as they all seem to have this issue. I feel like we're stuck, unless the retailer will take the unit back and give us a refund. So frustrating! So much stress for something that is not our fault. I will keep fighting Frigidaire until they come up with a resolution for us. Oh, and my hairdresser today said she's noticing the same thing with her new electric Frigidaire range.

• Hannah Bagrich
    3 years ago

This smell may be due to the insulation surrounding the oven cavity emitting odours the first few times it is exposed to the extreme heat inside of the oven. You can find how to safely off-gas the chemicals in a new oven here. I'd like to recommend you ordering a pair of good oven gloves. I use Mr. Smith BBQ Grill Gloves, you can find a detailed review on them here. Hope this helps.

• Aaron Thomas
    3 years ago

THERE IS NO SOLUTION FOR THE SMELLY OVEN PROBLEM. Don't let anyone trick you into filling your house with odors that will give you a sore throat. Open all the windows? Stop it - the odors will fill crevices in your house and will re-emerge at the end of the day when you close the windows. I bought an Amana range, tried "burning it off" dozens of times at high temperatures for several hours, the smell never stopped. Then I bought a Whirlpool and had the same problem. So now when I want baked goods, I buy them at the bakery. Problem solved!

If you ever think about buying an oven again, get the manufacturer to give you a 100% satisfaction guarantee, or your money back. If you can find that kind of deal, please let me know.

PS) Whirlpool sent an agent to my house to tell me that odors are not covered by warranty. Don't waste your time. You already spent a week trying to get the odor out of your house, last thing you need is a technician to come and turn that smelly piece of garbage back on and stink it up again only to find out that they can't fix it.

• HU-617248553
    last year

We have had a problem with Two GE ovens now and They will not give our money back. My lungs were burning as I stood over the stove trying to bake and cook on top. I was told by the first guy who came out's guy on the phone that it is a "new Glue" and insulation being used in these ovens instead of the old manufacturing ways of a metal harness to hold in the insulation. Our whole house was so bad in smell. Fans in windows doors open....only to get a second with the same problem. Self cleaning only melts the glue smell and makes it worse and my lungs burned and it made us sick....we will not use this oven. Only the stove top. Such a depressing scenario to not be able to cook dinner like a normal person and have that thing in my kitchen. I am sure it is a carcinogen just by the way it effected us...It seems by these posts that it is a widespread problem with most manufacturers and that it has been going on for more than 12 years. Why are there not protections for our citizens from this b.s.???? Like our water supply...no wonder we are all getting cancer...geez. Nobody cares. It is all about the mighty dollar...So sad. We tried to clean and burn this thing off 10 times. Only made it worse. Will not put ourselves through it again. Anyone know of an electric stove MAKER that does NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

• Aaron Thomas
    last year

I bought a Hamilton Beach air fryer and it has no (let's call it) Whirlpool/GE euthanasia odor. I know that a full size oven is what we really want, but just forget it. Cook smaller meals and live longer.

• HU-617248553
    last year

Yeah. I bought an air fryer too. A cheap model to get me through. Do you like the hamilton beach model? Can you cook any dinners in it? Or bake? Wishful thinking maybe?

• Aaron Thomas
    last year
    last modified: last year

It's Hamilton Beach "Easy Reach." You can bake/broil anything that fits. The air fry tray kinda stinks when heated, so I use other trays. I "burned it off" by putting bread heels in there for the first use, and then it was a perfectly fine little oven, UNLIKE WHIRLPOOL/GE WHO WANT EVERYONE TO DEAL WITH ODORS THAT KILL BIRDS! :)

• Megan Rees
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm so thankful this thread exists. I'm having the same problem with a Frigidaire Gallery oven and they are less than helpful. They keeping telling me this is normal. I'm sorry but my home filling w toxic fumes after 14 hours of running at 500 degrees should not be normal.