Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dishwasher not cleaning

Posted by buckieep (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 14:58

You guys have been so helpful in saving us repair visits....so I am going for one more! Our 12-y-o Kenmore dishwasher isn't getting the dishes clean any more. We have well water but it is softened. We haven't changed our soap or loading method, I have cleaned it with vinegar numerous times. The heating element is fine, and water fills quickly. I think the problem is the pressure coming out of the arms, as there is often soap left in the dispenser. I have read this is likely a pump issue, but there is SOME water coming out of the arms when I open it. What else can I check? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dishwasher not cleaning

You didn't cite the model number for specific advice.

Suggest disassembling the pump assembly to check for clogging from debris (stringy food residue, stray paper labels, twist-ties, bone fragments, etc.).

Depending on what design is your pump mechanism, there are videos on YouTube on how to do this.

o

My Frigidaire was also limping along with cleaning and I started to use the "ultimate" cycle. Longest hottest heavy duty cycle. Anyway It cleans GREAT now. Anything but burnt on bacon leavings...just tried it to see if it would clean that.
Now if it would just quit sporadically leaking and would dry plastic...

o

The arms can get junk in them too. They can be taken off and partially apart to get rid of crud. The 'bearings' that the arms spin on can get damaged. Do the arms end up in different places if you open the door several times? I guess if you have multiple arms that you couldn't have the problem of removing the bottom trey and then putting it in backwards. This misaligns the water to the top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here