Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayla47

replacing halogen light bulb in stove hood.

kayla47
10 years ago

I have a Zephyr stove hood with two 50 watt halogen light bulbs and I can not get them out. The owners manual says to twist counter clock wise 30 degrees and remove. It has a suction cup twister which I ordered but still can not get them to budge. Any suggestions on how to remove these burned out light bulbs?
Thanks
Connie

Comments (9)

• kayla47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information I thought I felt it move a little so I tried to twist it with a wrench and now I broke the bulb and left a broken glass edge in the socket. I am not quite sure what to do now I may be able to get a wrench or a pair of pliers up there and twist it out. I have the light turned off but should I turn the circuit breaker off first or wait for the next man that walks in try to fix it?

• kayla47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more question when I get this out before I put in a new one. should I spray it with DW40 so next time it will come out easier? Or is that a bad idea?

• kaseki
    10 years ago

WD 40 is a water displacing compound, widely misused, originally intended to protect metal after washing away cutting oil. It might work but its lubricity is not that great, its properties at high temperature are not defined, as far as I know, and it has a tendency to evaporate when hot.

A touch (!) of silicone grease spread to a very thin film on the bulb contact area should be sufficient.

kas

• weissman
    10 years ago

Definitely throw the circuit breaker before trying anything further.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Turn off the breaker, definitely. I had a bulb break off in a ceiling can. The electrician pared down the end of a potato to fit and used that to turn it.

Those bulbs, at least in my hood, are not screw-in. They have two prongs with cylinders on the end. They go up into the slots and then twist into place on sort of hooks.

One of mine came out easily and the other didn't. Part is knowing which way to rotate -- right is in and left is out, I believe.

So I push in gently to disengage the prongs then swivel with pressure on the flat of the bulb to remove.

Once you do it, you will get it. But they get sticky (though they shouldn't). The potato should help remove the broken bulb.

• danelliott
    8 years ago

I have a "Best" vent hood w/ 2 halogen lights . Can't figure how to remove both lights . Please advise .

• kaseki
    8 years ago

When confronted with an unknown lamp configuration with its mounting lacking viewing potential, it may help to find out the lamp replacement type from the user guide and then buy one to examine it to determine how it operates. If the goal is only removal and no spares are needed, the lamp type can be looked up on the Internet to get some idea of its configuration: screw type, prong type, etc.

• cynreeder
    7 years ago

I have a zephyr hood with same bulbs. I turned counter clockwise then pulled down, all done with thin long nose pliers at white base of bulb. Definitely need to make sure you've turned far enough before pulling down, but worked well