Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing halogen light bulb in stove hood.

Posted by kayla47 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 14:47

I have a Zephyr stove hood with two 50 watt halogen light bulbs and I can not get them out. The owners manual says to twist counter clock wise 30 degrees and remove. It has a suction cup twister which I ordered but still can not get them to budge. Any suggestions on how to remove these burned out light bulbs?
Thanks
Connie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing halogen light bulb in stove hood.

They can be tough to shift, that is for sure.
If you have a roll of duct tape handy, try wrapping it sticky surface out around three of your fingers five or six times. Then press one spot on the ring of sticky tape hard against the surface of the light with your thumbs while clamping the two tape edges between your thumbs and sides of your forefingers.
While pressing down hard on the light bulb with your thumbs, also attempt to twist it back and forth with the tape. At the same time, also try to rotate the light back and forth - think of a KitchenAid mixer beater going around doing its thing.
The idea of the tape is to get the light sockets to operate a bit more smoothly while you are extracting the dead bulbs so that your suction cup twister won't self distruct during extraction and leave you stranded later putting in the new items.

o

Thanks for the information I thought I felt it move a little so I tried to twist it with a wrench and now I broke the bulb and left a broken glass edge in the socket. I am not quite sure what to do now I may be able to get a wrench or a pair of pliers up there and twist it out. I have the light turned off but should I turn the circuit breaker off first or wait for the next man that walks in try to fix it?

o

One more question when I get this out before I put in a new one. should I spray it with DW40 so next time it will come out easier? Or is that a bad idea?

o

WD 40 is a water displacing compound, widely misused, originally intended to protect metal after washing away cutting oil. It might work but its lubricity is not that great, its properties at high temperature are not defined, as far as I know, and it has a tendency to evaporate when hot.

A touch (!) of silicone grease spread to a very thin film on the bulb contact area should be sufficient.

kas

o

Definitely throw the circuit breaker before trying anything further.

o

Turn off the breaker, definitely. I had a bulb break off in a ceiling can. The electrician pared down the end of a potato to fit and used that to turn it.

Those bulbs, at least in my hood, are not screw-in. They have two prongs with cylinders on the end. They go up into the slots and then twist into place on sort of hooks.

One of mine came out easily and the other didn't. Part is knowing which way to rotate -- right is in and left is out, I believe.

So I push in gently to disengage the prongs then swivel with pressure on the flat of the bulb to remove.

Once you do it, you will get it. But they get sticky (though they shouldn't). The potato should help remove the broken bulb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here