Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raysfan_gw

single electric wall oven

raysfan
10 years ago

My 20 year-old GE Profile Wall oven died and cannot be repaired. Must buy new wall oven NOW!
Sounds like Kitchen aid family (Whirlpool, Maytag, Jennair) are all extremely noisy in convection mode.
Mixed reviews on everything else.
Please help with suggestions for new 30-in elec wall oven.

Comments (6)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Every oven gets mixed reviews. Every single one will have at least a few angry owners.

GE Profile is well thought of around here.

Until very recently Electrolux was the near consensus pick for mid priced oven. Some say the chipping of the blue porcelain interior problems of the past have not been resolved.

AJ Madison has 30 reviews on single Electrolux ovens including a few one out of five star ratings. One owner says he can't get even temps after using self clean. Not one mentions blue porcelain interior chipping.

Electrolux makes the Kenmore Elite and Pro ovens but uses a cement grey porcelain instead of the pretty blue. Kenmore Elite has been ranked number one by JD Powers two years in a row. Kenmore Elite was the top rated oven in one of Consumer Reports kitchen appliance issues last year but dropped this year.

Good luck avoiding paralysis by analysis!

Here is a link that might be useful: Elux reviews

• wekick
    10 years ago

Dee you mentioned on another thread Wolf not having trouble with any ovens with blue porcelain made in the last three years(they have) but it is actually the Electrolux that has not had that trouble over the last three years. Still mine took just over 4 years to show up.

---->Electrolux makes the Kenmore Elite and Pro ovens but uses a cement grey porcelain instead of the pretty blueThis is a great idea.....the Electrolux without the blue...hmmmm.

The Elite/Pro cannot be used for convection on really low temps(125) but I am probably the only person that uses that. With just a quick look at the manual, one of the Elite models has dual fans and some special preheating functions for cakes or breads. You can set convection bake to 170 which should be ok for dehydrating food if you needed it. You have the added advantage that you might get a pretty good sale price. My only experience with Sears and cooking appliances is that you may have to buy the extended warranty to even get the basic warranty. If my blue enamel goes again, I will be looking at this oven. I will look at Gagg and maybe Bosch too.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Again, all oven brands have some problems.

JD Power 2013 Kitchen Appliance Survey uses a random sample( not self selected sample) of appliances owners who have used the appliances 1-3 years. Wolf came in second highest in overall customer satisfaction for ranges, wall ovens and cooktops. You have to pay for the study for a breakdown. But if there were large numbers of people with blue porcelain chipping Wolf would not be 2nd highest in customer satisfaction.

• cakelly1226
    10 years ago

1 1/2 years into my GE Cafe series wall oven and I adore it. I have the double but I am sure the single is great too. Most delish baked potatoes in convenction mode that you will ever taste. Even baking too. I heard mixed reports too but glad I went with this choice.

• cakelly1226
    10 years ago

Oh and can't hear a thing in convection mode. No sound at all...

• wekick
    10 years ago

" Posted by deeageaux
    JD Power 2013 Kitchen Appliance Survey uses a random sample( not self selected sample) of appliances owners who have used the appliances 1-3 years.

You can join the panel and you will see the level of "selection". You will get rewards for answering the surveys if you meet the selective process.
    Anyone can join

This is from a press release about the 2013 study.
    "The 2013 Kitchen Appliance Satisfaction Study is based on.... more than 3,900 evaluations from customers who purchased cooktops/ranges/ovens...during the past 24 months."

They only got responses from people who owned these products for 24 mos or less. Some only a week, a month a year.

"Wolf came in second highest in overall customer satisfaction for ranges, wall ovens and cooktops. "

It helps to actually look at the numbers. They actually say that the survey is based on numerical scores, not necessarily statistical significance if you scroll to the appliance results on the link below.

2013 ratings.
    The possible score was 1000
    1 Kenmore Elite______819
    2 Wolf ______________810
    3 Samsung__________808
    5 Viking_____________804
    Frigidair Professional___ 732 ( lowest)

These are all in a fairly narrow band in the rankings. What is the margin of error? 5%? They don't say. The highest is only 82% and lowest 73% of the possible score.

For 2012
    1 Kenmore Elite____810
    2 Wolf___________803
    3 Viking__________802

Almost no difference-- 81 vs 80% of points possible. We know what people think about Viking.

"You have to pay for the study for a breakdown. But if there were large numbers of people with blue porcelain chipping Wolf would not be 2nd highest in customer satisfaction."

Second place doesn't seem that meaningful when looking at the numbers.
    Even if you did have a more meaningful number, Wolf could have high ratings if they handle the first two years well. This is their warranty period and I believe they do that. Since we are only looking at 24 months, many would not know they have chipping or they may have had the oven replaced under warranty and are happy with that. Short term, people are happy with Wolf because they honor their written warranty. One poster had 3 ovens replaced and then they bought the ovens back and she was very happy with the service. In April I was happy. I don't think anyone buying these appliances only expects to get four years out of them. If they went out 5 or more years I am betting those ratings would change a little.
    We also don't know what questions they asked or how they were asked.
    The other problem with the study is that you could never have "large numbers of people with blue porcelain chipping" because there aren't large numbers of people in the study. You have only 3900 respondents so if split evenly you have 186 per brand. These are further broken down over the entire line of appliances. Half of these are owners for less than a year. It would be interesting to know if there were the same number of responses from each brand or is it weighted on how many were sold. This could make the number from Wolf really small. I think you said Capital and BlueStar were not included because the sampling was too small.
    They also rate cooktops, ranges and ovens all together. One appliance may pull the other up and Wolf cooktops and an unknown percentage of their ranges don't have blue enamel.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 kitchen appliance satisfaction survey