Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Need a new refrigerator, any recommendations on which one?

I usually use Consumer Reports for a starting point on purchases. I used to think they were pretty objective and really put a product through it's paces. I've made some pretty happy purchases using their reviews. But, I have in recent years, bought their highly rated and been disappointed.

So I tried to read the reviews by customers online. But lately, I have my doubts about how helpful the reviews are. For one thing, you get a lopsided view because more people post a bad review when they are mad about a purchase that didn't work out, then people who have no problem with it and don't get online to review a product. For another, I do wonder if competitors and the companies themselves might 'plant' reviews to influence the consumer.

Still...some of those stories in the reviews are hard to ignore. I've read horror stories of refrigerators that leak and make unreasonable levels of noise, all the way to stories of how compressors had to be replaced within months of a purchase. Bad technical support, when a problem does come up. And it's pretty much across the board. Every brand. Even the highest rated on Consumer Reports, the Whirlpool. And I see that Whirlpool now owns Amana, Kitchen Aid, and Maytag, which is a big disappointment because it doesn't seem like it is a real choice then. One of the only purchases I made in recent memory that I didn't do any research on before buying it was a Whirlpool dishwasher, that I absolutely hate, so I'm not feeling very positive toward Whirlpool.

Growing up we had a Frigidaire refrigerator that lasted 25 years. Now this last one, was an Amana and it's 15 yrs old and the freezer won't keep anything frozen. The refrigerator has typically been the least problematic in the house. We have never called a repair person for a refrigerator. And I'd like to keep it that way.

So, does anyone have any experiences with refrigerators or recommendations that could point me in a direction?

Thanks...

Comments (114)

• francesca_sf
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

mominator61 - Thanks for your good wishes. Trouble is…we want the ice maker but not the water dispenser. Can only have both or none. So, we have crossed both fingers and toes. At worst, we will do what you have done - disconnect the line entirely and use ice cube trays.

• msol
    10 years ago

I too am very grateful for this thread. We are exactly in the same place - a kitchen re-do requiring new appliances and paralyzed by the fridge choices out there. Like many of you, we also don't want water or ice - which we've never had and think that's why our Amana has lasted 19 years! We also want a large fridge - we have a 24 cf now and can't seem to find any top freezer's that are even that big anymore as they all have a bulky control panel over the top shelf and smaller produce drawers. It's also seems crazy to me to spend $3k for a fridge that is only suppose to last 8 years...I've been to countless independent's and we hear the same story. Ironically although many of you have had good experiences with whirlpool, one local independent told me that's the brand she services the most and don't bother with it! Just goes to show everyone's experience is different. Regarding the electrolux - consumer's doesn't even rate them - and the independents around here (boston area) don't sell LG or Samsung, I guess because they don't service them....welcome your thoughts!!

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

msol:

Thank you for the compliments to Prairiemoon, me, and the others who have contributed here. As you can see from my commentary over the last year or so, I have felt your pain. I do not mean to sound overly cynical in saying this, but I am so glad that it is you and not me who has to shop for another fridge. ;>)

Sounds like you've hit the point of information overload that all of the rest of us hit when shopping for appliances.

I wish there was a way around it, but there isn't. I like francesca's analysis of her process. It does not pretend to be simple, but following her prescription probably gets us where we need to be.

To start with, it sounds like you would like one of the E-lux fridges but it gives you pause that CR doesn't report a reliability rating for Electrolux on fridges? Well, that is probably because there weren't enough of them purchased in the last five years by the CR members who responded to the membership surveys, (CR apparently has some statistical standards, Blue Star range owners' commentary to the contrary notwithstanding).

You can probably get a pretty good fix on overall reliabilty for E-lux from the survey results for Frigidaires which is an E-lux sub-brand and is included the reported reliablity survey results.

OTOH, CR does include Electrolux fridges in the product testing ratings and generally rates them good to very good.

Some folks think "good" is never "excellent" enough. For anybody other than a "tiger mom". though, good is not "don't buy" but, rather, "good enough." For those with the yuppie diesease, "good" means "unacceptably deficient" and a product that is "terrible" only because somebody conisders it to be less than the "best in class." (And, never mind that "best in class" is often s subjective judgment that may be based in whole or in part on subjective opinions that that you might or might not share.)

So, you might ask, what what do CR's grades of "fair" and "poor" mean if "good" means average or terrrible? What, indeed?

Apparently, to some folks, a rating of good (rather than the "best there ever has been") means the product is a fraudulent cardboard facsimile of an appliances that nobody should have considered even a century and more ago.

To me, the the facts are that not-so-good fridges of today are far and away better than the "vintage" units I grew-up with in the 1950s.

The important thing is that, with a little bit of luck, you want to wind up with something that is not trash. A good way to get a sense of what is trash in the current market is to talk to servicers, as you did.

But the comments of servicers still require evalutation. Personally, I suspect that your appliance servicer's comment that "we repair more WP fridges than anything else" might simply reflect WP's very large market share. Mind, I'm not suggesting that Whirlppol is any kind of paragon. There are plenty of internet reports of abusive arrogance and misbehavior in warranty claims. Note, for example, the persistent reports of the controller boards in WP-made dishwashers spontaneously combusting and WP's "attack the consumer" responses.

If you play the statistical odds, you may have a better chance of getting a problem free fridge if you buy a product made in a WP plant. That is statistical probablity, not a certainty, however.

For me, when I bought by my new fridge a year and something ago, the KA model that I bought was simply the lesser of several weasels While that pun --- get it?. ;>) ---might be seen as a cheap shot, I mean it as more than mere flippancy To me, it seems inevitable that any appiance purcahse these days has become a bit of a gamble on the odds of reliablity and durability.

Bear in mind that most consumers wind up with a perfectly fine fridge. If CR's surveys show that a maker has a 15% defect rate in the first five years of ownership, that means that 85% of the owners don't have a problem in that time period. It may be 75% with LG fridges, but that is still a lot of satisfaction. Trouble is, when you are in the 15% or 25% with defective products, the statistics are no comfort.

I think about the CR-recommended Maytag top-freezer fridge that I bought in '98. If you read the CR survey data that came out in years afterward, my Maytag fridge should have died long before 2012. Instead, its still going strong, Built to meet the year 2000 Energy Star standards, it costs only a tiny bit more to run than most of the current crop of latest and greateest/ I replaced that old Maytag only because I needed/wanted larger capacity. The friends who bought the old fridge from me me have had no problems in the almost-two years since i sold it to them. Is it "the best" they could buy? Of course not. But, for them, my used, "bisque-colored" Maytag It is far and away better than the 35-year old, dark-green colored, Coronado that it replaced.

So, Is it "crazy to spend $3k "for a fridge that will only last 8 years? You betcha!

Beyond that (i.e., my generally negative view) your comment about the absence of large capacity top-freezer models is accurate.

At present, it seems that anything with a capacity over 24 cu. ft. only seems to be available in FD and SxS models or in or specialized all fridge/all freezer models. (Actually, the large and separate full-freezer-full-fridge combos are not a bad idea if you have the 60"-wide space in your kitchen for the two units).

You do not need to spend $3k for a fridge unless you need a counterdepth model. (Seems to be no way around that high costs of those units.)

Seems to me that the "8 year life " figure that you mentioned --- I think that is a mean or average for replacement, not a measure of reliability or longevity. As in my case, a fridge may get replaced for reasons other than failure. Sometimes, the fridge is replaced because it died but often it is replaced for reasons other than failure, such as remodeling or need for larger capacity.

Those fridgea may get trashed or they may live on in another's kitchen. Plenty of the fridges will last longer than 8 years.

But I do agree that we are gambling (the "crapshoot" as it were) that the fridges that we buy today won't be one of the fridges that dies in the interim.

As for "bulky control panels," my observation is that that is now pretty rare with the current crop of models of bottom-freezer, FD and top-freezer models. The control panels in my KA FD model take no usable space.

OTOH, through-the-door ice-makers and water dispensers are another matter,. Some of those consume huge amounts of otherwise usable space. I'm with you on not wanting them.

I wish I could tell you that there is a clear choice but, unfortunately, there is not a "best" or "only buy this" kind of choice. The most that I can tell you is that the statistical data indicates not what to buy bur, rather, what you might want to avoid --- LG fridges and older GE models (possibly made for GE by LG) being the statistical outliers at the present.

If you really like an E-Lux fridge, you probably will will not be dis-satisfied. But note that I said, "probably."

Best of luck.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 1:17

• mominator61
    10 years ago

I just want to say that with my Electrolux appliances, I did buy the additional, extended warranty through Sears - and this is the first time I have ever purchased an extended warranty on anything, but I felt I needed to do it this time. My oven probe didn't work at Christmas and I called Electrolux for help and they couldn't successfully trouble-shoot it over the phone. I then called Sears and they did fix it over the phone - turns out the instructions in the book were wrong. Electrolux was eager to send someone out to fix the probe, but I live in a remote location and so refused the help because their service provider charges a fee to come here (and Sears does not.) The following week I began to receive phone calls from Electrolux...they wanted to purchase my oven back for what I paid, because there is no one in my area to service it! Uh...thanks, but no thanks, I love my oven, but I thought it was good service that they would offer to purchase it back. My E-lux fridge is so quiet...and that was #1 on my list.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

I plan on buying the extended warranties on my appliances, as well. With everything you hear about them not lasting very long, I feel it's a given. I hate to spend the extra money & have never done this before either, but it will give me a little peace of mind.

That's great that Sears was able to fix your oven probe. Too bad Elux wasn't, but that was nice of them to offer to buy it back since there wasn't a provider in your area. That says they are at least good on service. How long have you had your refrigerator?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

JW Video - what a great post! (P.S. we paid mega-bucks for a "fancy" fridge for a new remodel -- it kills me to do that, but we don't expect to be in this condo all that long, and in my area, high-end appliances are "expected" -- my agent told me we should pay more attention to the appliances we put in than the cabinets, which should look good, but don't have to be "name brand").

• mominator61
    10 years ago

Bicyclegirl - I've had my Electrolux fridge, Electrolux Induction range/oven, and Bosch DW all for 7 mos - when we remodeled last year.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

UPDATE:

Hi! I am surprised to see so many posts here. I checked back for a few days and then got busy, last time.

So it's been 18 months since we bought this Whirlpool and in the six months since I last updated, have had no issues whatsoever. Still enjoying the bottom freezer and the larger capacity on the door. Have not noticed any temperature problems since the summer humidity.

Have not had to call the repair company for anything.

So, I just wanted to remind everyone, that we had shopped around for best price before we purchased and brought the lowest price to the Company that we wanted to purchase from. They offered us a reduction in their price, but not quite as low as the lowest, but what they did to entice us to go with them was to offer us a 5 year warranty included. That suited us perfectly, since our major concern with the refrigerator was longevity and potential repairs. We were going to go with them anyway, because they've been a family owned business in the same location for over 25 years and we'd done business with them before. They had an excellent reputation. That to me is important when you are buying appliances that are not the same quality as they used to make in the 1950s/1960s, when refrigerators had a life expectancy of about 25 years.

Okay, that's about it. I will check back here for the next week to see if anyone has any questions, but so far so good. I wish I was as happy with the Whirlpool dishwasher we bought. Grrrr! That will probably be replaced long before it should. Does not clean well at all and the interior of it, despite having a stainless steel finish, has to be cleaned about once a month. A pain in the neck. Older Kitchen Aid dishwashers we had, we just took for granted because they just did their job with no problems. Oh well.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Thanks prairiemoon. Keeping my fingers crossed my Kitchenaid is just as good! I've bought it but it's probably going to be another month or so before it's brought in.

I know your reviews are going to help quite a few people on their decision. I wish others were as diligent as you've been w/ their appliances performances! I'm going to try & do this w/ my few that I'm installing. I wish there had been a lot more when it was time for my decisions to be made!

Thanks again.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi bicyclegirl, I hope you do too!

The way that I've been able to update consistently, is that I used the calendar program on my computer to set up a recurring appt with myself to come back to the forum and update. It has a message and a sound pop up on my computer screen to remind me. Maybe you have the same thing on yours!

Good Luck!

• hvtech42
    10 years ago

Refrigeration is not Frigidaire/Electrolux's best area. I've had bad experiences with one of their dishwashers too. All the research I've done agrees with my experiences. I'd stick with their cooking products only. I had one of their fridges that had compressor problems very early on (common for them according to my research). Lots of icemaker problems, and servicing was a pain because instead of just using the cold air in the freezer, the ice maker had an integrated evaporator. WTF?! One of the worst designs I've ever seen. Screw consumer reports and look at the way the fridge is actually built and designed.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Great minds think alike prairie! That's exactly what I plan to do! There is no way I can count on remembering to do it on my own! It's still going to be a month, maybe 2 before my appliances are even in my new kitchen....considering I have no resemblance of a kitchen at the moment!! But, things are rolling along, so I'm hoping for a month...but not betting on it!

I hope you keep having the great results w/ your Whirlpool.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One thing we did, was take out the ice maker in our fridge. When the repair person was here last time we had him disconnect it and remove it altogether. When we researched refrigerators, it seems that a large percentage of repair calls are for the ice maker. We didn't have one before and we don't miss it.

Good luck with your new kitchen bicycle girl! Sounds like there's light at the end of the tunnel. :-)

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

Just wanted to hear more current opinions

This post was edited by lynn_r_ct on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 14:44

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Hmmm. A subtle ambiguity in the question, which is an inevitable problem with print where you can't hear the inflection. :>)

Are you asking for "more opinions" that are current?
    or
    are you asking for opinions that are "more current" (that is, opinions from people who bought more recently than a couple of years ago)?
    or
    are you asking the posters to update their previous posts (making them "more current?")
    or
    are you asking for opinions from more than the stalwarts of this thread?

All of the above seem like good questions, so maybe we can get some responses to each?

It has been six months since my last update on the KA that I bought in 2012 and it has chugged along without incident since then.

One update on the general subject is the most recent results from the Consumer Reports membership reliability surveys. The reliability of bottom-freezer fridges -- both french door and single door --- made by Whirlpool has slipped considerably from a couple of years ago. There no longer seems to be any statistically significant reliabilty differences between the various major manufacturers (GE, Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Maytag/Amana, Frigidaire/Electrolux, LG and Samsung. (Models without ice-makers sold by GE and by Sears' under its Kenmore brand are the exceptions, and are significantly more reliable.)

This post was edited by JWVideo on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 20:21

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

Great question to my question! I have delayed in my fridge purchase due to construction/remodel/husband delays. I hoped to receive opinions on the purchases posters have made over the last few years or more recently, and are they, or are they not happy with what they ultimately bought. Obviously, brand name and model number or series is important. I am so confused with all the research which seems to change daily, that I am ready for some down home advice.

I am looking for a French door with ice and water in door for under 3K. I don't need to hear about how much you love the one you bought for 6K - you would hear me weep through your computer! TYIA Lynn fr CT

• kippee
    10 years ago

I replaced an 11 year old kitchenaid side by side with a new kitchenaid side by side. Three defective refrigerators later and multiple repair visits made me realize this was a mistake. I wish I'd purchased something other than a kitchenaid.

• shaking
    9 years ago

Oh Kippe I am sorry to hear that! I am in the market to replace my Bosch fridge for the same reason except they only replaced it twice and are now buying this one back. I wish I knew what to go with. I thought I was set on KA but something is telling me NO. I dont rely on CR anymore since my defective fridge is rated #1 for counter depth SxS!

I swear I am tempted to just go with Frigidaire and know I will replace it sooner. Oh the headaches of decisions.

• calumin
    9 years ago

I bought a Samsung RF263BEAESR/AA 25 cubic foot french door refrigerator with ice and water dispenser 9 months ago. Has always worked perfectly. It was slightly noisier than my last refrigerator, but nothing very noticeable. It was $1800 on sale at Home Depot. There are a couple models that are deeper for a few hundred more dollars. It's by far the best refrigerator I've had.

• doug32
    9 years ago

If you are looking at s x s I would not buy Samsung R267TDRS with ice maker. We purchased this refrigerator on July 4, 2010. Shortly after the warranty expired the compressor broke. Now the fan is making funny noises. If you pay $1000 ++ for an appliance the expectation is that it will last for awhile. I'm very disappointed.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

In the middle of a kitchen remodel and ordered the Sub Zero French Door. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't comment on that. However, we have a 2 year old counter depth Samsung French Door that works perfectly and a 15 year old Whirlpool Gold side by side that works perfectly. Never had an issue with either one!

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

I just paid my $30 for an annual subscription to CR, and I already feel defeated. As I went through their "recommended models," all had negative customer reviews. And I mean negative! One and two stars. There was a Samsung that did seem to receive good marks from both, but it is a monster frig and too big for what we need. Sad that even the higher ranked refrigerators are still not great out in the real world.

• weissman
    9 years ago

Bad news/Good news: This past weekend my 12-year old KA fridge stopped cooling - it was still running but not cooling. Up until then, absolutely no problems - even the ice maker has worked perfectly. Fortunately my 33 year old Whirlpool fridge was still running fine in the garage so I transferred all the food.

I was freaking out a little in case I needed to replace it - all fridges these days seem to get bad reviews. Anyway, the repairman came out today and all it needed was a new relay. Now it's up and running again. Whew!

• Whity1
    9 years ago

Funny thing about refrigerators I have one that I bought for my daughter in 2007 she used it for 6 months I moved it to my place when she went to Calgary. The funny thing is it sat in my place until owners fridge broke down I connected it and it works fine, there is a loose piece on the compressor so makes noise but otherwise been running for 2 years and is fine. Just ask lots of questions, talk to your friends, you never know.

Here is a link that might be useful: fridge

• jenniferbuttler
    9 years ago

With the passage of time Catalog of refrigerators manufacturers are adding new more advance models which makes it quiet difficult for a consumer to make a right choice.Following are the few factors you always has to be considered when buying a refrigerator.
    1. It should by energy efficient.

1. Design of your desired model should advance enough to fit in any space.
      3. Always prefer to use external water dispenser refrigerator.
      4. Try to buy a refrigerator with the top freezer to keep away unauthorized access of children.
      Last but not least above all tips help you to buy a perfect refrigerator but still you have to research the market for comparison among different refrigerators.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reviews About Refrigerator

This post was edited by jenniferbuttler on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 11:42

• charliet960
    9 years ago

Hey there if you'll reading reviews you must be looking to purchase a new refrigerator...well so am I.
    We purchased a Samsung about 10 years ago SS, ice maker, bottom freezer 22cf. I love this refrigerator but on Dec. 26 2014. I notice the refrigerator was warm. We pulled it from the wall and vacuum the expose coils at the bottom thinking it would solve the problem. NO it didn't. We took all the food out and put it into our coolers, took out the shelves and called the repairman he took the back off inside the refrigerator and used something like a hair dryer to defrost the coils and replaced the computer board. Well needless to say 4 weeks later we had to call him again.
    He defrost the coils again and said he would have to contact Samsung. I emailed Samsung two weeks ago but never heard anything. It's been a week since the repairman was here and I haven't heard from him either.

After reading reviews on the best refrigerator to purchase I'm in the same boat as everyone else.
    One of my clients work a well known hardware store. I told him my ordeal he was telling me that the average refrigerator is design to last only 10 years regardless how much you pay for it. At this point if my Samsung lasted a little over 10 years I may want to purchase another one, but I saw a K-aid that look good, but looking good isn't were it's at. I want it to work and last without complications. So .... what do you do? By the looks of it the major appliance manufacturers have consumer over the barrel.
    Best of luck to us all all on picking a half way decent appliance. I'll do a follow up on my new refrigerator. :-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Feb 18th and another update. Our refrigerator is still running great. Haven't had any issues at all since the last update. :-)

• Ttkogia First
    9 years ago

Anyone with recommendations on 24" bottom freezer refrigerators?

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

February 20th and time for a 2.5 year update on mine -- running fine and no issues since the last update, either.

ttkogi: sorry that I know nothing about the 24" part of the market but your question might get overlooked in this thread coming at the end of one as long as this one has become. You may have better luck getting responses if you start a new thread of your own with your question as the title.

I recall some discussions here from two or three (maybe four) years ago about smaller fridges for tight spaces. IIRC, the discussion was was mostly about Liebherr and Miele units for upscale NYC flats with very small kitchens. Those discussions might or might not reflect the current market and might or might not reflect your interests.

• Ttkogia First
    9 years ago

Thanks jwvideo. I'll try starting a new post.

• msm4flooring
    8 years ago

So glad to find this conversation about frig buying. Beyond confused reading CR and the raft of conflicting reviews at so many different retail/other sites. I usually buy major appliances at Sears, but am thinking maybe Lowes this time. What are opinions of LG lfx28968st FD?

• jwvideo
    8 years ago

This thread is so old, and your question is so far down, that you'll have a better chance of helpful responses if you start your own thread using your question as the title.

• PRO
    Designs Authority
    8 years ago

I can see this thread is so old and I am sure by now you have already gotten the refrigerator and probably have already evaluated it for performance.

I think before you decide about the brand to buy, you need to first think about to type of fridge you want to buy. In my experience, the major brands have advantages when it comes to one design of a refrigerator and when it comes to another design/type, they have flaws. So you have to decide, do you want a french door refrigerator or a side-by-side refrigerator? Perhaps you would prefer a compact/mini fridge . There are also the counter-depth refrigerators and refrigerator drawers. Then you can have top freezer refrigerators or the bottom freezer refrigerators. No all companies/brands are good in all those types.

People will recommend brands to you without taking this into account.

For example, Frigidaire makes high quality long lasting top and bottom freezer refrigerators, French door refrigerators and counter-depth. when it comes to compact / mini fridges, it does not feature in the top.

Sumsung has innovative designs, but when it comes to French door refrigerators, you will read and hear horror stories of leaks, technical failures and
    unreasonable noise levels. But they do make some great refrigerators as well.

So in my opinion and from years of use, I would recommend that when it comes to refrigerators, if you want high quality and durable, you go with either aFrigidaire or LG refrigerators. You will not be disappointed.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I noticed more activity on this thread, so I may as well post an Update on the refrigerator we purchased that I outlined in this thread. The Whirlpool Refrigerator indicated above that we bought, so far has been great. We have not needed further service for any reason. The refrigerator and freezer sections maintain their temperatures as far as I can tell. I don't check a thermometer very often but I don't have a problem with foods not being cold or frozen that I've noticed. Nothing has broken, it has proved a very good size for us and we love the roll out drawer freezer on the bottom. In the beginning we needed to remember to make sure the door of the freezer shut all the way, but we've gotten in that habit and it's not an issue. All the drawers inside both sections work well w/o issue. The refrigerator bins are clear and easy to see what is in them. The inside is very easy to adjust for reorganization, although we've rarely moved any of the shelves or bins, once we found the arrangement we liked. The one small complaint that I've had, is that when I store greens, like lettuce or Kale, too close to the back wall of the refrigerator, sometimes they get a little frosted. Maybe we've gotten in the habit of not putting them there, because I haven't noticed that happening in a long time.

So still running well, performing well, no service calls, no complaints, which surprises me but there you are. Just a little over 3 years that we've had it. We did disconnect the ice making feature because we read that a good portion of service calls were due to a problem with that. Our circumstances allow for that not to be a major inconvenience. We rarely have large parties that would require that.

Hope that is helpful.

• jwvideo
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Same for my KA FD model. It is more or less the same box that prariemoon has except that the company hung french doors and a KA logo on it. I never got around to tapping into the waterlines in the wall and so never hooked up the icemaker or water dispenser. Obviously, no icemaker or water dispenser problems for me, either.

• ronaldwmcole
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We bought a WP side by side fridge in 2001. As always, I had researched for the most one on the market, at the time. As many have said, CR ranked WP at the top for many years, until recently, when they're showing LG and Samsung as the best models. Those two companies have the largest refrigerators on the market, but they're Korean brands, at least LG is and quite expensive compared to other brands, I.e, Whirlpool.

The unit mentioned from 2001, bit the dust a couple weeks ago, just lasting over 15 years. It was actually a Kenmore Elite, but made by WP. The model numbers on the back will give its identity away, once you get the first three numbers. Just match them up to a chart found online, of who makes what for Sears.

We really never had a problem with it, except the ice cubes in the ice maker (located in the freezer) would freeze together and them the rotating stir arm couldn't move the cubes to drop down into the hopper to get ice from the door. The issue was that you need to use it, to prevent the ice cubes fusing together. We used crushed iced nearly everyday in our drinks and don't have the problem anymore. You gotta use it or lose it...

Actually, the WP was moved to the garage about six years ago, because it wasn't a SS design, which as becoming popular. My bro was moving and bought a counter depth model, to make the kitchen show better, for a quicker sale. So, he gave us his LG SxS SS fridge, which looked nice. But, we've never been very happy with it and have grown to dislike the SS models. Too deep and cramped. We never use the freezer anyway, because we have a full freezer in the garage. But, the problems we've had are that the water line broke and leaked. When the repairman came out, he gave us a full history of LG, which was quite interesting. But the main problem is that parts are hard to get and it would've cost us $200 just to get water from the fridge! We said to forget that, as our tap is fine, even unfiltered. There's no difference in taste or quality.

But what really ticked me off, was that I opened the freezer door one day and the whole thing came off its hinge and was dangling on the floor. Wires still connected and a real shock to say the least! That thing could've broken my foot! We had the same repairman out and luckily, he was able to replace the bolt that had broken. The hinges are steel, but the bolts are plastic! That was it, we'll stay away from LG for sure.

So now we're looking at the FD styles we've wanted for a long time. Disappointingly though, there seems to be a great deal of unhappy customers with all brands. I'm still somewhat loyal to WP, as they're made in the US and Mexico. They may be no better, but at least the workers are in North America. Parts are more available too.

As one reviewer said, since cheaper models perform no better than more expensive ones, if the average life expectancy is 10 years, spend less and buy a cheap warranty. That's what I think we'll do. The KA and JA, Maytags and Amanas are nothing more than plastic badges, that raise (or lower ) the price, just like Chevys to Caddys. In most cases, the fancier models aren't worth the extra dough.

What concerns me are the noise complaints on the WP brands and the ice maker leaking down into the freezer. It sounds as if the refrigerator housed ice makers are more problematic, than freezer houses ice makers, like the side by sides. The ice has to be closer to fridge temp than freezer temp,, so that would make sense.

Anyone know how the fridge based ice makers work and operate, as opposed to freezer housed models? The design is awesome, but perhaps impractical. Those FD models where ice is in the freezer, don't have ice crushers I believe. Anyone know about that? Anyone really happy with their WP 4 door FD fridge? Is the door based ice maker more problematic than if it's in the top corner of the fridge? Problems with the pull out drawer? That looks great for my kid, as he won't need to open the whole fridge and stare for what he wants.

• Pensacola PI
    7 years ago

Just putting this up top, very good info.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Since your post reminded me, I may as well update again. Our Whirlpool refrigerator which I described above, is still running perfectly with no issues and no service calls. No broken or worn parts, cleans up nicely, temperature regulation is still great. We're still happy with our purchase. Hope that is helpful.

• Cavimum
    7 years ago

I'm glad to see the Whirlpools are doing well. Our 22-year old refrigerator that lives in the daylight basement finally bit the dust, this past weekend. The indy appliance dealer repair guy said the part is no longer being made, and at 22 y/o, not worth trying to fix it. I pretty much guessed that was going to be the answer. He told me the Whirlpools are a bit more reliable than other brands, and the comments here confirm it. We don't need fancy features, since it is more for freezer storage and overflow. Time to go shopping. (ugh . . . )

• jwvideo
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My sympathies on being subjected to the appliance shopping process, but at least there are deals to be had at this season.

In the meantime, I'm reporting back on my 4 y.o Kitchenaid FD model. Got a clog in the drain line for the auto-defrost and condensate. The clog was in the silicon rubber valve/grommet at the bottom of the drain line. Apparently, not an uncommon problem.

The symptoms were a sheet of ice on the floor of the freezer compartment. Actually, I did not notice this untll I found a little puddle of overflow water on the floor in front of the fridge.

Easily fixed after I found and followed this youtube video, "How to Unclog a Refrigerator Drain Line."

• awatch
    6 years ago

We purchased an LG French Door LFX25973ST in late 2013, after much research and consultation with CR. We had a 2 year extended warranty after the 1 year ended. Two months after the 3 year period ended, before they sent out the "renewal" letter, the ice maker in the door and on the bottom quit working. While we called to get it repaired, the freezer went, followed by the top fridge. The labor will cost $450-$800, so we will just get another MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE brand. I am convinced, from my on-line reading, that these machines are no longer built to endure 10 years, but will need replacement every 3 to 5 years. I now refuse to spend big bucks.

Frustrated Consumer

• ebtitcomb
    6 years ago

Purchased a Samsung Model RF220NCTAWW refrigerator from our local Sears store in Bridgewater, NS on 17 Oct. 2016 (del'd 31 Oct. 2016). On 23 May, 2017 the compressor failed (7 months!). Contacted Sears the following day and was advised to contact Samsung which I did the same day. After 6 calls to Samsung (one lasting 45 mins!) we still have no satisfaction. Samsung warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on!!! Lost over $200 worth of food and all I get is a run around from Samsung. Avoid purchasing their appliances if at all possible.

Ernie Titcomb

Church Lake, NS

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We purchased a Samsung French door refrigerator - Model RF24FSEDBSR/AA - in November 2014 (now about 2.75 years old), and have had, along with evidently countless others, problems with the ice maker, which quit working just after the one year warranty period was over ... soft ice cubes, water and crushed ice build-up in the chute, dripping water, and massive ice build-up in the back of the unit that evidently blocked the fan and eventually burned out the motor. The first appliance repair company called would not service a Samsung refrigerator (wonder why); the second came out three times ... went through all of the Samsung "service bulletins" in regard to this issue and eventually said they would not continue trying to fix it and to call Samsung (we paid for one service call with this company, the other two were gratis). Samsung "Support" set up an appointment with one of their locally contracted appliance repair companies - we paid for the service call and their assessment was that we needed a new fan/motor. On the next service call he brought and installed the new part. We paid for the part, something like $140. Shortly after the "repair", the unit again began to fail and we called again (after cleaning out the ice build-up several times). The part was guaranteed for three months, but we did not realize this and called again just after the three month period. The solution - again - to replace the fan/motor in the ice maker. We paid again for the part, and the company kindly did not charge us this time for the service call. Fast forward two months, and the ice maker unit is failing AGAIN - we've melted out the ice build-up two or three times in the last six or seven weeks. Over the last few days, a new issue - the "Twin Cooling" unit in the back of the refrigerator has failed - ice build up in the "Twin Cooling" unit, the fan died, and the refrigerator now keeps a temperature of around 50 degrees. The drawer and the freezer are still maintaining a safe temperature, so we are using those alone while we search for another refrigerator; given that we've paid upwards of $500 for repairs that did not work we are not willing to sink more money into repairs. I've read that they have since improved the ice maker, but have made no move to my knowledge to recall or replace defective models or parts. Needless to say, we are not seeking to replace this refrigerator, or any other appliance, with a Samsung model.

• linda johnson
    6 years ago

ONJUNE 6TH A WHIRLPOOL FRIDGE WAS DELIVERED. AUGUST 20TH IT QUIT WORKING. CONTACTED WHIRLPOOL & for $40. they would tell me how to fix it. i am 70 years old. it was a 2 month old fridge. have service warranty -would take 2 weeks to get to me. never buy any whirlpool products. i purchased another brand from ak nahas & it was delivered next day. had them put whirlpool in garage -they may fix it , but how long will it work? (2017)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Apparently it's about a year, since I updated and I can say that our refrigerator is still working as good as when we first got it. Of course, our warranty coverage on it is about to run out, so I'm sure now we will have a problem, right? [g]

• jwvideo
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

SInce it is time for updates, I'll say it is pretty much the same story for my 5 y.o. fridge, too. The only problem is that the plastic frame for the deli drawer's pop-up lid now has a crack in the middle of the bottom edge, below the window pane. This does not not affect functioning, just aesthetics. A replacement frame is a $65 part but I may just resort to epoxy on the underside if the crack starts looking bad.

• ocrose
    6 years ago

Oh my, its just a crap shoot for any brand?! I was looking at SBS fridge by Frigidaire Gallery and KitchenAid and their matching double oven (because they are next to each other on the same wall). Should I just cross my fingers on whatever I choose?

• Ray Herron
    5 years ago

I just purchased a Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator and the delivery guys

I bought one two weeks ago, Sears Delivery Service damagaed the first one by trucking it from the back, mashing in the compressor cover. Dealer replaced it with another refrigerator, it doesn't work properly. Refrigerator is set to 35 degrees but my digital thermometer shows 47 degrees after 5 days, the freezer is also not making ice, it made less than half a bucket full the first three days and the last 24 hours ZERO ICE. This is a piece of crap-it is built in KOREA! I am returning it for my money back. Will spend more to get a replacement- sometimes a great price doesn't mean you are getting a bargain! I have no idea what to buy after they pick this one up, it looks beautiful sitting in our newly temodeled kitchen but now I am wishing I hadn’t given away or 15 year old GE SxS which still worked great but it wasn’t Stainless Steel! And someone told me she couldn’t bear to look at that Old School White refrigerator any longer! BTW the ice maker and water dispenser in the old GE worked great, even after 15 years. New is not always better. ☹️

• Tahmineh Katoozi
    3 years ago

Please answer me fast , my refrigerator died last night I have to buy another one as soon as possible , The Home Depot has Kitchen Aid / side by side that I prefer to French door for 2429 .00$ , is it a good deal? Thank you

• Charlese Hilton-Brown
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I bought a Kitchen Aid 2019 (freezer on bottom, french doors) and less than 2 years I have had 4 issues with frig not cooling and lights blinking inside or going out. Contacted Whirlpool Corp. regarding not keeping cool mainly (actually BBB did), and they were useless. Basically told me to get it fixed using my extended plan. Not great customer service!