Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angryrooster

Appliance Warranty

jjaazzy
11 years ago

Does anyone have a suggestion for an appliance warranty? I would like to get a warranty for older appliances like washer dryer and free standing range. Any suggestions, or suggestions of who to avoid would be just as helpful. I am in Fla btw.

Comments (5)

• mike_73
    11 years ago

I have heard that you can buy a Sears master protection plan on any brand appliance if you bought it at sears or not. I don't know if there is an age limit though.

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Most warranty companies limit the offering of "protection plans" to appliances under 5 years of age. If they do offer "coverage", the premiums are often steep. Home warranty companies also often include appliances, but that's a whole other racket with having to prove annual "maintenance service calls" on items that don't require such under their manufacturer's care instructions.

The best "warranty" is a savings account to be able to replace them when they break.

• mike_73
    11 years ago

yes Holly is right about home warranty companies. I got one with my apartment house, what a waste that was and all profit for them. Mine was supposed to cover appliances roof heating and plumbing completely well the only thing that happened was the tenant's bath drain backed up with in that time while I was in San Francisco If I had been home I could have fixed it myself so I called them wouldn't you know they claimed to not cover drains even though the paperwork I had said it covered all plumbing. they then pointed me later to a clause that it applies to leaks not stoppages. so if the drain pipe leaked they would have fixed it. And who has maintenance calls of knows about if they were done an a house of appliances that came with a house?

I don't think covering things over 5 years old is usually worth it unless its an expensive item or built in.

• meangoose
    11 years ago

Both our gas and electric company offer home protection plans for various appliances. The gas company offers a plan for $15/mo. that covers our gas range, gas dryer, and furnace. We could add on the fridge or the washer or another appliance for $5/mo each. You might consider something like that.

So far our experience has been good. We have had service calls for the furnace and the dryer. Both were fixed at no out of pocket cost to us - repair bills on the 3 repairs we've had probably would have totaled around $1000. Your mileage may vary with your local utilities, but our experience has been good. The bummer for us is that we're planning on going with an induction cooktop and a wall oven instead, and that will tack on $10/mo the way our gas company structures their plan.

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all, I was able to find cp complete protection they covered kitchen and laundry together for 28.00 per month. All my appliances were aging but not so old it was time to retire, I will try to come back and give feedback after I call for service.