Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To console? Or not to console?

Posted by halgreene (hal@haljaygreene.com) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 14:18

Hi,

The DW I have now has no console and concealed controls. I always kinda hated it because:

1. If I wanna toss in an extra spoon I have to crack it open in mid-cycle, which always results in a little splash.

2. I never know when it will be finished.

I'm buying some Miele. I am going to install a custom panel, so I know that the concealed control model will look a little nicer but I'm still tempted to buy a full console (which apparently will also take a panel).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To console? Or not to console?

I was in the same situation. I ended up getting the Miele with the exposed controls. My main concern was somebody getting burned by opening a machine during operation. They are so quiet you often cannot tell they are running at all.

MRB

o

I also got a Miele with front controls to replace my current DW with top controls. Like you I wanted to see cycle time. For the top control DW's the trick is to not open them fully after unlatching. Just give the handle a little tug, wait till you hear the splashing die down and then open. Good choice on the Miele you certainly can't go wrong with any of their offerings. However if you want the integrated look and time remaining indicator, there is a cool Bosch model out now (I think it's the 800+) that projects the time remaining onto the floor. Pretty neat.

o

I would have gotten the front controls if I'd found them on a DW that worked for me (Miele doesn't agree with my dishes). I compromised on storage a little to make my drawers all line up, and I have the matching trash pullout on the other side of the sink from the DW, but while I like the looks of my cabinets better than the metal fronts, I don't mind if things look like what they are and would have liked the controls on the front better. Mine has a kind of display on the top, so you can just see the clean light, and if you know exactly what's where, you can see what cycle it's on by bending, peering and squinting through the gap between the panel and the counter edge. On the front is far superior.

If your point was to fully integrate so that no one can tell the appliances from the pantry, you wouldn't have asked, so I say go for it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here