Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justalittleplace

What Year is my Roper (gas) Stove

justalittleplace
10 years ago

We are in the process of refurbishing this old Roper we recently got. The past owners didn't know a year (1940's..50's is what they thought). Is there anyone out there that can help me figure out what year it is? We've looked for a plate or any kind of decal to give us a serial number, etc., and there is none (unless it is underneath the stove).

I'm attaching a picture so you can see maybe some identifying characteristics of it. (Image may not show the color of the clock...it is brown.)

I will be needing to get a few parts for it (missing handle, and one burner head) if anyone could point me in a good direction.

Also we are wondering about changing it over from Natural Gas to Propane. Would anyone know if this has just a simple switch...or do we need to get a LP orifice?

Thank you for your time!

Have a GREAT day everyone!

Melody
(on the plains of Colorado)

This post was edited by justalittleplace on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 14:19

Comments (39)

• julieste
    10 years ago

Why don't you do a search on Google Images to see if you can find one that looks the same. Then take a look at the web page to see if it will give you a year and model.

• justalittleplace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. Yes, I keep doing that. (HOPING to find something!!) Today I found a posting on ebay of the exact same one as mine...but they didn't have a year for theirs either. *sign*

Thank you for trying to be a help to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage 1940s or 1950s Roper stove

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

A lot of Roper ranges on eBay seem to have vague dates. They may have had longer production runs than we have now? I'd contact a stove restorer and ask them. They might be a lento turn you onto parts suppliers. I imagine it won't the the easiest finding what you need. Might be worth watching that auction and buying the stove for parts. You could mix and match to have the best of the two and still have backup parts.

• markb
    10 years ago

Melody,

If you click on the link below, it will take you to "appliance advisor". Click on the "manufacturers" link at the top of the page. Then scroll down until you reach the "antiques and rebuilt antiques" section. Each of those links will connect you with companies that refurbish and rebuild old stoves, etc.

If you provide them with a photo, they should be able to date your range as well as provide the missing parts you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: appliance advisor

• justalittleplace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! I contacted one yesterday (sending them a few pictures) in hopes of them being able to do JUST THAT!! (Haven't heard from them yet.)

I thank you for sharing this link and directions to find these others. What a tremendous help! Thank you!

Melody

• mkroopy
    10 years ago

Just saw this post now, not sure if you ever got your answer but I have a 1953 Roper that is almost identical to yours...I will post pic below. I got it about 3 yrs ago, never used, still had the original Good Housekeeping stickers inside the inside of the door. I have all the original instructions and books for it, so I know for a fact it is a 1953.

I have used it daily since having the thermostat and valves gone over by someone here in NY that specializes in old stoves, and absolutely love it! Gets tons of comments...so different than all my friends kitchen's and their stainless stuff...(yawn)...

I would think based on the look of yours, it could not be more that 2-3 years earlier or later than mine....check out the picture.

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Wow what a score! Where did you ever find that??

• jmh_1974
    9 years ago

Hi there - found this thread by Googling Vintage Roper Stove. I just bought one that needs some new burner heads. Did you find a place to buy replacement parts? Ive got the model # 561 54A10. Thanks!!!

Also - if youve got a manual and would like to share it or know how / where to order one that info would be great!!

• cuffs054
    9 years ago

Try the crew at DISCUSS O MAT on line.

• jmh_1974
    9 years ago

Thanks so much!! Will check it out.

• Christopher Land
    8 years ago

I have a nearly identical model (no glass oven door).

The ID plate is located on the inside wall under the back right burner. We bought ours in 1954 and have been using it every day since.

Below is the data plate from our unit.

• Mary Thomas
    7 years ago

So I know this is an old thread, but I have been looking for a picture similar to a old stove that is coming into my possession (I am buying a Cape Cod built in 1949, and there is one of these in the basement. The sellers are leaving it, presumably so they don't have to pay someone to haul it out.). The kitchen currently would not have a place for it (it appears to have been redone in the 70s), but I would LOVE to have it end up to be in working order or not needing many repairs so I could eventually put it back in the kitchen when I redo it. I am excited to see all this information!

• ryanpetry119
    6 years ago

My grandparents have this Roper in there house. My dad and I are trying to restore. Needing burners. But the model number plate is unreadable. Anyone have info on year,etc. For us to get burners.

• mkroopie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

That looks to be a 1953, I have the same one (see my old posts under "mkroopy"). I guess GW disabled my profile because I havent been on here in years, so I had to sign up again....same with Photobucket as the picture I posted above is gone too.

Anyway, mine looks exactly like that (minus the glass oven door). The ones a few years either way of the 53 have differences in the "dashboard", and also the grates are different. I'd bet that one is a 1953.

• Brian Abel
    6 years ago

I am looking at buying a house that was built in 1962 and it has the original kitchen appliances. They have supposedly been refurbished but I have never seen a stove that has what looks like 1 temperature control knob for the burners and 3 other knobs that look like just an on/off for them. I am attaching a picture below. I have no idea how this thing would work.

• dadoes
    6 years ago

Can't see markings on the burner knobs without a close-up. The left one more closely matches what's on the oven. Maybe all the cooktop controls are adjustable the same as any typical gas burner but the three different knobs aren't original and thus look misleading as to what they do.

• Brian Abel
    6 years ago

The stove pictured above a little ways by Christopher Land has similar knobs. So I am sure the knobs are original. Just never seen stoves that had what looks like only one temperature control knob and then three knobs that look like just on/off knobs for 4 burners.

• dadoes
    6 years ago

Have you tried it to confirm how it operates?

• Christopher Land
    6 years ago

The front left burner has a thermostatic 'button' in the middle on the unit that allows it to be set at a certain temperature. The flames will adjust in height to maintain the temperature. The other three burners are regular in that the flame is set based on the knob position. The outside knobs are the front burners and the inside knobs are the back burners.

I have never seen a built-in Roper stove top and oven before. I was thinking to convert mine to the same set-up. I cannot complain about an appliance that has been steadily working for more than sixty years!

• Brian Abel
    6 years ago

So can multiple burners work at the same time with different temperatures? Like one pot on a low simmer while I am frying up something?

• Christopher Land
    6 years ago

The burner with the thermostat can be set to a specific temperature, like 350° for cooking oil when frying. The thermostat burner has a button in the middle of it that sits against the bottom of the pot and measures the temperature through a closed bulb. As it gets hot, it slowly closes the gas valve, as it cools, it opens. The other three burners do not use a thermostat and are like most gas stoves sold today.

I usually set the one burner, that has the thermostat, at 200° (under the boiling point of water). This way I do not boil away the water as quick and scold the pot. In winter, I keep a pot on it all day (hot water on demand). :)

• Brian Abel
    6 years ago

Thanks very much for this information. I had know idea how cool that old stove could be. I guess I will definitely want to keep it as long as it works like it is supposed to

• Mary Baker
    6 years ago

Maybe my Roper is a little older and certainly simpler. It looks similar but is a stagger-top and has pull-out catch trays under the burners. Cannot find a Roper label or model number. No “button” connected with any of the burners. Came with the house and have been using it for 30 yrs but it does need work. if only I could find someone in NE to do it! I love it and would love to see it restored. The oven cycles off too often and is unreliable, but the open gas broiler is great and the aesthetic . . .

• dadoes
    6 years ago

I didn't notice the temp sensor in the burner. Several brands had that feature on a burner back in the day, both electric and gas models. Surely explains the different knobs. The non-sensor burners don't need/have °F markings on the knobs.

• keiths5n10
    6 years ago

Trying to get oven to fire, pilot light stays lit but burner won't light . 1950's Roper has griddle in middle, any idea of a help site? Local library not much help.

• Brian Abel
    6 years ago

Does anyone know how to light the pilot light on an old Roper oven like this? I k is where the pilot light is, and the gas is turned on. I’m assuming there is a button somewhere I need to push in order to light it.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

keith4n10, try:

http://www.antiquestoves.com/toac/index.htm

and they may be able to help you, Brian, if nobody here has the info for you.

• keiths5n10
    6 years ago

Mine looks same but no glass in oven door, cook top in between burners, everything else is a match

• Isabel Martinez
    6 years ago

Brian Abel, I have an Identical stove and oven. I know how to use the oven. The way to light the pilot in the oven is the following:

Open the bottom of the oven by removing the inner heat plates, there are 2. You can easily do this by removing the racks, there are 2 swivel locks on the back corners, turn them so they unlock, remove the first plate, the second is not locked, removed that.

Now you can see the whole oven burner which is also the broiler grill. The pilot is at the very back. On the front of the oven controller, there are several knobs and the clock. The Clock will control the ability of the pilot to turn on or off the full burner, be sure it is not on the off.

The dials are the following,

temperature knob, red on light, interior oven light, pilot lighting button, cooking timer.

Be sure you have a long lighter. Press the Pilot lighting button for 30seconds. This will allow the pilot to get gas, light the pilot and continue to depress the button for at least another 30second. The pilot will remain lit when it has warmed up enough. You may have to repeat this and add more time. I know when I first lit mine, it took a while for it to finally stay lit.

Once the pilot remains lit, you can replace the heat plates and racks. Your oven is good to go. I have lived in my home 18years, love my oven and stove! I can't believe you have an identical one!.. If you ever look to replace them, please let me know. HOPE THAT HELPS!

Let me know if this makes sense.

• keiths5n10
    6 years ago

I'll try this on mine pictured above Brian's, my daughter found original manual last night! Oven lights(pilot) but won't fireup, wasn't plugged in at that time & I assumed solenoid was problem.

Also need glass burner inserts, anybody know where to get replacements??

• Isabel Martinez
    6 years ago

Keiths5n10, that’s awesome! Where did she find the manual? I’m searching for mine as well! Yes, the oven has to be plugged in. When we moved in to the house, we found a switch that apparently didn’t have an outlet only to realize it belonged to the oven. They’re amazing products!

• jimmy martini
    5 years ago

Hi I have almost the identical stove. where did you find the manual and parts? thanks for the help.

• Brian Abel
    5 years ago

Isabel, thanks for your detailed post. The pilot light is now lit and the over burner works great. I need to change out the light on the inside of the oven (hopefully the bulb is a common type bulb). The red "on" light does not work. There isn't a bulb behind the red dome and I am not sure if the clock on the oven works (much less what the different dials on the clock do). I can hear what I am assuming the clock ticking, so I figure the clock has the ability to work. I just wish I could find a manual for it.

• Holly Kilstrom
    5 years ago

Hello, I realize this is an old thread but I’m hoping someone can help me! I just picked up this 1930s (?) Roper. The identification plate is half destroyed and I need help a) figuring out the year and b) hopefully finding a manual/parts. Please help!!!

• Holly Kilstrom
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It won’t let me post the pic of the model number for some reason but all it says it “type 113” and “model 2000-3”

• Shelly Ford
    4 years ago

Try cleaning the label by soaking it in vinegar and gently brushing with toothbrush.

• Shelly Ford
    4 years ago

I found the label on mine with a model number but when I search for it nothing comes up. Also the label has no year listed.