Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loriley_gw

Pics: Liebherr 36' Integrated SS FD Installed

loriley
15 years ago

We've finally installed it and I love it!!!

Comments (25)

• yoyoma
    15 years ago

Cool, looks great! Can you confirm a couple of things? Does each door close by itself letting go from around 30 degrees? How high to the top shelf in the middle, and on the sides? Thanks.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Fantastic, Loriley. It certainly does look great! Can you also tell us who you used to install it? A Liebherr-trained tech or someone else? How long did it take to install? Congratulations!

• loriley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!
    Yes - it does have a soft close mech.(but not on the stand alone) I did the install and have to make sure both doors close completely (I think I need to adjust the panel install). It also has an alarm to let you know that the door is still open - the lighting is great!

The top shelf is at 5'10" and at 5'8" on the doors.

It is a tall fridge - which I love b/c my DH and I are tall - it's a joy to look Up! instead of bend over (as w/our old fridge) but it may be too tall for someone who is petite...

• loriley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

marthavila,

Thanks. I actually did the install w/the guy we hired to move some cabinets around - it wasn't too difficult. In fact the guys delivering the fridge were saying how it was such a joy to deliver b/c it isn't top heavy like the SZ.

I really appreciate the German design - everything is very precise - most difficult part was installing the SS door panels. Mostly b/c I thought that the screws weren't delivered w/the fridge, and b/c we had to align the panels to "imperfect" cabinets - took me longer to do than I needed.

It was fairly straight forward after I had the electrician move my elec and water line...

• yoyoma
    15 years ago

"The top shelf is at 5'10" and at 5'8" on the doors."

Oh this is disappointing, as this is not what the German Liebherr person stated on the phone a couple of weeks ago as confirmed by more than one person:

Liebherr 36" Info

Now you're saying it's 70", unless you meant to the top of the top shelf, rather than the shelf itself.

• loriley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry everyone - got the heights backwards... the highest the door shelves could be is 5'10" the highest the shelf in the fridge could be is 5'8"... I measured from my floor just before I posted.

I am measuring to the shelf... of course you can adjust but I needed the space to be greater between the shelves.

two other comments: 1) I had the 36" SZ w/single freezer drawer... it would be easier to access these shelves for a more petite person than the LH
    2) This fridge is Much Much more of a built-in look than my SZ (which had cabinetry panels) I am extremely impressed at how flush to the cabinet face the LH SS panels actually are - if we paneled it w/cabinetry I am sure that you would be hard pressed to find the fridge in your kitchen (we have the integrated not the stand alone)

(The lighting is amazing too!)

yoyoma - the doors do auto shut at 30 degrees - probably beginning about 45...

• wwu123
    15 years ago

I'm considering this model, but am very unsure of what is the substantive difference between the integrated and standalone versions (the installation guide for the standalone also says it can be installed semi-integrated). I can see the point of the integrated when using custom panels, but with stainless they look very much the same.
    We would be nestling the fridge between some tall cabinets on one side and a 25" deep wall (with a 3" strip of cabinet trim to allow for >90 degree fridge door swing) on the other side.

The differences I can tell are:
    1) hinges on the standalone protrude 1/2" above the top of the fridge, vs being fully concealed on the integrated.
    2) hinges on the integated can be screwed into the adjacent cabinets, but not sure why that matters as it's not visible
    3) integrated unit comes with strips that install into the gaps on each side, but again not sure if it's really visible.
    4) integrated unit has an 84" door panel option, which would perfectly match our tall cabinet height, but unlike the Thermador which has doors that go to 84", the Liebherr 84" door option merely means there's an additional 4" stainless strip that screws to the top of the fridge.

In the end it feels like the $1600 difference is primarily to conceal the hinges at the top of the fridge? And I'm not saying it's not worth it for having that perfect integrated look, just wondering if I'm overlooking some other material difference between the two.

• yoyoma
    15 years ago

Integrated has soft-close feature so doors close automatically from around 45 degrees.

• alyson_2008
    15 years ago

Loriley,
    Looks great! Can hardly wait for mine to arrive. Another question -- do those cafe style doors open any wider than you've pictured?

• wwu123
    15 years ago

Following up my earlier question about the difference between the freestanding and the integrated - I wonder even though they are the same 24 3/4" depth, maybe the only the integrated allows the fridge door to be installed flush with the cabinets? The integrated seems to have a more complex hinge that swings open and away from the unit to clear the adjacent cabinet doors, while the freestanding seems to have a single hinge pin that swings open but not away from the unit. Does anyone know if the freestanding can be set flush to the doors without door swing clearance issues?

• tyguy
    15 years ago

Oh my god!!! I am soooooooooooooo jealous!!!! Why did I settle for my 36" Electrolux Icon.....oh ya it was miles cheaper!! :)

• loriley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wwu123 - Hi - I will do my best to respond to your comments...
    1) agree
    2) screwing the hinges into the cabinetry insures a secure installation for the integrated model. That way there is no tipping or movement away from the wall/cabs if the fridge is overloaded
    3) I didn't need/use the strips - looks completely integrated
    4) Actually - the doors on the refrigerator are 84" high (and substantial - not flimsy) at least on the integrated SS (I actually chose the 80" but was sent the 84") the fridge is 80". I thought it was going to be a strip too - but not the case

I also don't think the stand alone model has the super cool option? but I'm not positive - the integrated def. does, along with the alarm if the door is open...

alyson 2008 - Hi, I'm not sure if the doors open any wider - it doesn't look too wide in the pics but I find it is very comfortable. I still have to check the manual to see if I could allow for a wider opening...

tyguy - Thanks. I was glad that this fridge was miles cheaper than the SZ! ; )

• wwu123
    15 years ago

Thanks loriley, for the answers. Great to see these pics for the first time. Full 84" height doors is good news; I guess they didn't update the installation manual online. That makes the fully integrated model all the more tempting.

Our refrigerator space is going to be at the end of a row of cabinets with a 3" spacing of cabinet face trim (to allow for fridge door swing) and then a wall. So on that side there will be nothing for the integrated hinges or strips to attach to, it would be half freestanding anyway. But the difference in the door height and concealed hinges will be a big visual difference for the fully integrated one.

• sankaty_91
    15 years ago

I am ordering the Liebherr 36" but am confused about integrated vs. stand alone. I am installing it in a seasonal home which I close down over the winter. My plumber drains all the pipes. Would he be able to drain the ice maker on the integrated? He is concerned that he will not be able to get to the pipes.

• loriley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wwu123 - I'm sure you'll love whatever you choose - Good Luck!

sankaty 91 - Actually the integrated water line is in the Front of the fridge - behind the grill at the bottom - it is dead easy to get to - my shut off valve is in the basement - and we used flexible plastic tubing to get to the fridge - easy to pull - can't imagine it'd be a problem to drain...

Good luck!

• sankaty_91
    15 years ago

Thanks loriley - I will pass this information along to my plumber. Since we haven't seen the actual model I've wanted to check out all the questions before ordering. I'm so glad you are thrilled with your purchase. Can't wait for mine to arrive!

• fridge_distributor
    15 years ago

Both the fully integrated and the free standing are cabinet depth.

Fully integrated must have a cabinet around it. Liebherr offers the HC-2062 which takes a custom panel - generally matching your cabinets. HCS-2062 offers a stainless steel panel - choices in 80 & 84 inches high.

The freestanding CS-2062 can be placed anywhere in a kitchen. It is fully finished stainless steel all around.

• yoyoma
    15 years ago

loriley, are you having any problems with your Liebherr 36" like another poster here is?

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

I have the 36 stand alone. It needs to protrude from the cabinets/side panel about 1/2" to fully open the door. It does not have the self-close feature which would have been nice. You do have to firmly press it closed. And yes, the top hinges are slightly visible. I removed the cap covers which makes them less prominent & lowers them since I had very little clearance to the above cabinet. Will post many photos of finished kitchen after our final inspection tomorrow. Wish me luck....
    The inside looks identical.
    Tying the hinges to the cabinet at the top would have saved us the problem of the rocking motion when the doors are pulled open. We solved that with a shim jammed in at the top as I explained in another thread.

• loriley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yoyoma - not sure which problem you are referring to? but if it is the rocking motion when the doors are pulled? I have the integrated and it isn't going Anywhere! Very securely attached to floor/wall and cabs (the cabs could fall and it wouldn't move)

• yoyoma
    15 years ago

Hehe, I don't even remember now! :) How do you feel about your Liebherr now that you've had it for a while? Do the doors close automatically with no problems? Just wondering.

• ach2bz
    15 years ago

I am thinking of getting the integrated panel ready Leibherr and I was wondering if it is easy for your cabinet maker to install the custom panels or do you need a certified Liebherr tech to do so? I was also wondering if the bottom freezer doors pull out the whole way? If not, how far do they pull out and does this cause any limitations when loading or unloading from the freezer? Anyone with a fully integrated model with comments would be appreciated.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Achb2bz, I hoping that any owner of the Liebherr 2062 line who stops to answer these questions here will also consider responding to my related, earlier (and still-unanswered) thread seeking an update on product performance. :)

• wwu123
    15 years ago

Just wanted to follow-up to my earlier questions that I did end up ordering the Liebherr 36" for our remodel. However, I ended up order the freestanding CS-2062 instead of the HCS-2062. Our kitchen designer initially wanted to have the 84" HCS-2062 flush into a row of 84" tall cabinets, but I thought the 80" doors with a 4" trim above would give the fridge a more built-in look. Since the fridge would be fully flush, the freestanding would look identical to the fully integrated, except for being $1600 less and having the top of the hinges slightly visible.

The appliance saleswoman knew about the door-closing problem, and actually suggested we get the cheaper CS-2062 to avoid it. I thought this meant the freestanding doors would close if I gave it a gentle swing shut, like most fridge doors I know. It doesn't close fully like that, but will if I give it a good solid swing. However, I'm getting used to pushing the doors shut.

If I had one gripe with the fridge, it would be the nonsensical "adjustable" door trays. There are three trays on each side, as in loriley's photo, evenly spaced; but none can hold a medium-height jar. If you drop one of the upper ones one notch, you can't put anything in the tray below. Ultimately I would've preferred to give up the height of the "gallon tray" on one door, but you can't drop the lowest tray as there are no more notches. I ended up removing the lowest tray on one door and dropping the 2nd tray one notch.

Other than that, we've really liked it in the one month so far. For $5000 to be able to get a fully flush stainless, it's a steal.

• hbh170
    15 years ago

My Liebherr 36" fully integrated is finally installed. I find the ice cubes made by the icemaker are small, about 1 inch by 3/4 of an inch by 1 inch. Is anyone else experiencing that? Is there a way to make them bigger?