Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

Gas or duel fuel range?

janesylvia
9 years ago

I am going to replace my range. I don't know if I need to buy a gas or duel fuel range. What's the pros and cons for each one?

Any input or sharing of experience is greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

Gas range is cheaper than dual fuel. The main benefit of dual fuel is that in general, it will not add as much heat to your kitchen as a gas oven - which in general vents more freely to the room than electric.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

^Agreed, but on good dual fuel ranges you should also see a performance advantage when you are cooking on multiple racks due to the 3rd element. Most people could care less about the difference, but it matters to some.

I would search the forums if I were you, this topic has been discussed extensively in the past.

I think if you have to ask, an all gas should be just fine. Generally when people want/need a DF they aren't going on forums asking whether they should get one.

Consider also that a dual fuel will almost always require gas or electrical work done. The exception is if you had a dual fuel range before, which is rare because the trend didn't really catch on until relatively recently. What type of range are you replacing? Is this part of a larger remodel or just an appliance replacement?

• wekick
    9 years ago

As long as you are buying something new, it is good to at least consider if either a gas or electric oven would most suit your needs. How will you know unless you ask? Of course you can use either but there are differences that can impact your style of cooking. I have cooked with conventional gas and electric ovens over many years but have loved learning what my current electric convection ovens will do. I hope to keep learning as a cook. Many features that were previously on the more expensive ovens are now available on less expensive models.

There was a recent thread in July with some good points.
    30" dual fuel versus gas range

As you learn more what you want, you are bound to have more questions. If you post the brands and models you are looking at, there might be people here that have that range and can comment.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for all your responses, very helpful!

Hvtech42, currently, I have a Kenmore Freestanding gas range. There is no 220V outlet on the wall. If I decide to buy a duel fuel range, I would hire an electrician to add a 220V outlet first. I bought the house recently, I had the whole house remodeled except for the kitchen because the seller had it remodeled 2 years ago with new cabinets and counter top. Now I'd like to replace all the appliances.

Wekick, thank you for the helpful link. I live in the bay area, so summer is not long. I went to Airport Appliance last weekend. The salesman recommended GE cafe range. Is GE cafe a good brand for range? For GE cafe, I can choose among the following three models:
    GE cafe freestanding duel-fuel range with baking drawer C2S985SETSS
    GE cafe freestanding self cleaning double oven convection gas range CGS990SETSS
    GE cafe freestanding gas range with baking drawer CGS985SETSS

I noticed consumer report has better reviews on the compatible GE profile range than GE cafe which is a higher end product line than GE profile (GE PGB950SEFSS--71, GE PGS920SEFSS--73). GE cafe duel fuel was rated only 51, its double oven 57 , and its gas range with baking drawer: 61(baking: good). I don't know if it's still good to choose GE cafe, which looks better and is a higher product line than GE profile.

It sounds like that except for the heat venting out into kitchen, gas and duel-fuel ranges have about the same effects for baking cookies, cakes, and meat. In that case, I would choose the gas range, since I save the work of hiring someone to install the 220V outlet.

So is GE cafe a good brand for range? Are there any range below $4000 that have good functions and reliability?

Thank you very much.

• wekick
    9 years ago

"Posted by janesylvia
    It sounds like that except for the heat venting out into kitchen, gas and duel-fuel ranges have about the same effects for baking cookies, cakes, and meat.

There are quite a few differences in gas and electric ovens, in the way they bake and roast, but those differences might not be significant to everyone.

Maybe someone who has the specific models you are looking at can comment. I used two different Profile electric range ovens and I like one(the older, less expensive one) a lot more than the other.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I had a GE Profile smoothtop electric range with convection, baked great. I only replaced it because I wanted induction. As for Profile vs. Cafe, the Cafe is mostly a style change from the Profile, there may be some differences in the burner layout/output but the ovens should function the same. I would never listen to Consumer Reports cooking ratings.

Since you had an all gas range before it will be more than just simply swapping out the outlet. They will have to run a whole new 240V circuit from your breaker panel to the location of the stove.

In your situation I would probably go with a gas range. Keep it simple. To make the decision less daunting, first set a budget (which it looks like you already did,

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 21:24