Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommaseed

What are the benefits of 36' over 30' range/cooktop/rangetop?

mommaseed
13 years ago

I have never cooked on anything larger than a 30" and would like to hear some good feedback so that I know I am not trowing time researching and money out the window.

Thank you.

Comments (7)

• beth4
    13 years ago

Five years ago, when I remodeled my kitchen, I invested in a 30-inch DF Wolf range. It more than meets my needs. On the very, very few occasions that warranted it, the range's 4 burners can accommodate all of my largest sauce pans, frying pans, etc. at the same time. The range is very well designed, with lots of space between the 4 burners, and that is why this can be done.

The vast majority of the cooking I do (and I do cook a great deal), involves 2 burners operating at a single time, and sometimes a 3rd burner. Plenty of room between the pans when I use this configuration.

I wanted the Wolf range and did not want to subtract space from my kitchen counter top/cabinet design (which is on the smaller side) to accommodate a larger range. I've never regretted my decision to go only as large as a 30-inch range.

As far as the oven space in a 30-inch range, it more than meets my needs. I use large sheet pans, roasters, etc., with ease and the cavity fits all of my requirements.

But....I drive a Subaru, so I'm not into large cars, either! :)

Here are a couple of photos of my kitchen so you can see the 30-inch range in a kitchen setting.

• attofarad
    13 years ago

If you don't need the larger oven and are only concerned about having another burner on rare occasion, just pick up a 120V 1.8kW portable induction unit for occasional use. It will also do a better job of melting chocolate or butter than almost any gas burner. I like using mine for rice, since I can set the timer and it shuts itself off when done. It doesn't have the power of a built in 240V induction hob, but it is still equivalent to a gas burner at 12000 BTU. When I don't need it, out of sight in a cabinet.

• mrsthesun
    13 years ago

I have a 36" Wolf rangetop with 6 burners. I think it all depends on the type of cooking you do. I use 5 or 6 burners on a regular basis when I cook for large groups but I love to entertain. I also like the look of 6 burners but I think it is most important to choose the size based on your personal style of cooking and your needs.

• mommaseed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I often use three burners for preparing meals for our family of six. I have never had the chance to entertain but am hoping to do so when our house is built. It is a top priority, and on any given night, we could have as many as 13 family members.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

How many burners a cook needs is determined more by what and how you cook than by how many people you are cooking for,within limits of course.

More people generally just means bigger pots. Filled with more food

More courses,sauces etc means more burners.

If the decision is between a 30" Culinarian/Bluestar and a 36" F&P or something similar,and you are on the fence, I say go the Culinarian/Bluestar route.

The 30" Culinarian will roast a 25 lbs turkey and the Bluestar's 30" oven will not only roast a 25 lbs turkey but hold a full size commercial sheet.

• cj47
    13 years ago

My new Miele 36" induction unit went into service last Wednesday. On Friday I had family members over to break in the new kitchen (not done, but had to try out the new cooktop!) I had 4 of the 5 burners going at once, and the biggest difference was the space I had to work between them. I had two pressure cookers going, a big pot of broth, and I stirred a pot of risotto in the middle. It was nice to have the extra space between the burners. Love it, love it...

Cj