Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Differences in stainless steel appliance's stainless steel

Posted by 2hyperkids (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 13:17

I purchased a kitchenaid fridge 2 or 3 years ago. A counter depth single door over bottom freezer with water dispenser inside of fridge. Absolutely love it!!!

I am now replacing our OTR microwave and electric range.

I purchased the Bosch convection microwave and electric slide in range. Once they were in my home I realized the micro/range's stainless steel didn't match (even remotely) the stainless steel on the fridge. Any suggestions?

I guess we could replace the fridge with a Bosch fridge (but have heard bad reviews) and I really love my Kitchenaid fridge. Or another option is to get the kitchenaid range and microwave but again not thrilled with this option because of the reviews of kitchenaid cooking items.

Does anyone know of a brand that has similar stainless steel to the Kitchenaid?Or any other helpful suggestions? The fridge and micro/range are separated by a standard 30" cabinet on the same wall. I have a Bosch dishwasher which I love!! The dishwasher is far from the fridge and I never really noticed the difference in the stainless steel.
Tia!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Differences in stainless steel appliance's stainless steel

The other option is to just get over it. :)

A kitchen is a workroom. Most people prefer to choose best in class from many different manufacturers to ensure their work room works efficiently. No manufacture makes best in class in each category, so if you choose the best functioning DW, you will probably end up with a different brand range and a different brand fridge anyway. As long as everything IS stainless, it's fine. And, there are plenty of people who even mix stainless and non stainless successfully.

Anyone who comes in your home and turns their nose up at coordinating stainless appliances that do not necessarily match needs to be thrown out of your home.

o

Definitely do not buy a Bosch refrigerator to match your Bosch dishwasher, because mine don't match each other. :) They are pretty far from each other so I didn't notice until I read about it here a while ago.

I also have, in a vertical row from the ceiling, a stainless Vent-a-hood, locally made stainless backsplash, and stainless Capital range. I've never noticed any difference in color, although the VAH is slightly rougher in texture. I wouldn't give it another thought.

o

It's totally not a big deal unless you are OCD. It's better to have good functioning appliances no matter who makes them than to have pretty hunks of useless metal in the kitchen.

o

Agree with other posters. Sometimes SS differs even within the same brand. You would make yourself crazy trying to match SS. Don't be concerned over it.

o

Agree with other posters. Sometimes SS differs even within the same brand. You would make yourself crazy trying to match SS. Don't be concerned over it.

o

You could drive yourself insane trying to match SS. I just went fridge shopping two weeks ago. Saw two fridges from the same brand (KA, I think) sitting next to each other on the display floor. They were both SS and looked fine, but....the SS was different on them.

o

Different manufacturers use different graining methods and this will make the look of the SS different. The main 2 types of stainless used in appliances is 304 and 403.
Generally as the SS oxidizes over the months and years the differences look less noticeable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here