Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellsmom

Graduating from corn popper coffee roaster to Gene Cafe? Behmor?

bellsmom
9 years ago

Does anyone here have experience with either of these coffee roasters? Will you share your experience and knowledge?

About 4 months ago I learned on GW about using a popcorn popper to roast coffee. I have been doing it since and really like the result--and the price I end up paying for freshly roasted good-quality coffee--way less than half.

But now the popcorn popper, which I always knew was not going to last long is beginning to wimp out. I will be buying a new dedicated roaster. I am not willing to spend $1000, so I considered Freshroast, Behmor, and Gene Cafe.

The Freshroast only does about 1/3 cup at a time (about what I can do in the popper), and I want to be able to roast at least 1/2 pound at a time.

I plan to go with Gene Cafe or Behmor unless someone knows a better choice. I vacillate back and forth between them. GC is more expensive; Behmor can roast nearly a pound; Behmor may need more supervision and "fiddling".
Behmor's are currently out of stock everywhere, but will be available again in September. Gene Cafe is available at Sweet Maria's, Burman's, and Amazon. Prices are more or less the same, with SM's and Burman's throwing in a few free pounds of coffee.

Any suggestions? I would really appreciate your sharing experiences with these if you can.

Comments (4)

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

I don't have any experience with either of those roasters. I hope it's okay to suggest another website for info, which is Coffeegeek.com. You'll get a lot of info from their forums section. They have one dedicated to home roasting.

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

I have been roasting with a GeneCafe for a few years. Mine has been a good roaster. Not as good now that the company sold out and the new owner does not allow do-it yourself fixes of minor problems. As I have heard you have to ship the whole thing back to have them fix it. The tech person at the original firm was glad to help with problems and let you fix it yourself. Nonetheless, once I learned the art of using it I get really good results. It is not automatic and there are "profiles" that you must learn to do. Here is an example: Weigh 227 grams (1/2 pound) of beans. Turn on the roaster and set to 5 minutes at 350* to preheat. Do an emergiency stop. Dump in the beans and put the cylinder back on the roaster as fast as you can so you don't burn out the heating element. Set the time to 17 minutes and the temperature to 473*. Restart the roaster. After about 10 minues listen carefully to hear the first pop of the beans cracking (first crack). Continue roasting for about 1.5 minutes and then cut the temperature to 462*. Continue roasting until the desired color is achieved or at most 2 more minutes. Do an emergiency stop and dump the beans into a fast cooler such as a colander over a vacuum to suck the heat out of the beans as fast as you can. Store the beans open to the air for 1 day, then close the container and store for 2-7 days depending on the bean. Grind and brew. If you want to get into this hobby, I suggest you join one of the online coffee roasting clubs. There you will find fellow roasters asking and commenting about the machine you are using. I belong to several, but mostly go to "greencoffeebuyingclub.com". There are pros there that search for great buys on green beans and distribute them to fellow members at a fair price. Hope this helps.

• gigelus2k13
    9 years ago

This GeneCafe looks like too much effort for an "automatic" roaster! Since you have to stay put for the whole duration of the roasting process, you might turn the handle of a stovetop roaster as well.

I've been roasting green beans using a WhirleyPop for about 2 years. Beside the fact that you can roast 1lb at a time, you can control very well the roasting process, especially if you install a dial thermometer (temperature is not important, the thermometer helps to develop a very consistent and reliable roasting procedure).

Also, IMNSHO, for roasts that stop before or just at the beginning of the second crack, the hand-cranking method gives more pleasant results than either the air-roasters or the table-top drum machines. A friend of mine has a Behmor and shares the same taste regarding the coffee origin (mostly Kenya/Ethiopia/Rwanda) and roasting profile. We both agree that my coffee tastes better than his.

The only downside of the WhirleyPop roaster is that peaberry beans are a little small and are not stirred well enough. Oh, and if you have induction, it won't work: the pot is aluminum.

If all you did so far was to use a popcorn airpopper, get a WhirleyPop - it's very inexpensive and, in the worst case, you end up using it for popcorn. But I think that you will enjoy both the experience and the results so much that you won't want to spend the money on the expensive, "automatic" drum roasters anymore.

Serban

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

I have a WhirleyPop that we use for popcorn. I have used an air popper, IRoast1, IRoast2, and the GeneCafe. My results were best with the IRoast1 but they are so delicate and short lived that I lost mine. Used a replacement for a while and tried the 2 until it died too. The Gene is more durable, but it costs more too.