Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refrigerator fixed , what would you do?

Posted by hald (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 12:51

We have a Kenmore elite french door refrigerator that is about 10 years old. We like it and would buy another, except for the warranty service we aren't sure about.
The fridge went on the blink and at the 2nd service call the repairman replaced the compressor. It has been running 24/7 since then, is cooling fine, but I'm worried because it never ran constantly 24/7 in all the time we've owned it.I'm worried the new compressor is a different brand or type and the energy star rating is now void. I'm sure my electric bill will be higher because of this.
I called the Sears warranty repair line. They said it's normal for a refrigerator to run constantly after getting a new compressor. I don't believe it. A brand new refrigerator doesn't run constantly, so why would a new compressor make it run constantly?

It seems like my choice boils down to selling this one, that has 2 years left on the warranty, and getting a new one. Or living with higher utility bills for the rest of the life of this fridge. The attitude of the warranty line person I talked to was they had fulfilled. their obligation
One last thought - though the fridge runs constantly, the temp inside stays at the proper point, so I'm thinking the new compressor is smaller or different than the original. Do you think I'm right? What would you do?
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refrigerator fixed , what would you do?

If the tech didn't put a full charge in the system after replacing the compressor it will cause the refrigerator to run 100%.
In general right after a big repair like this the refrigerator will seem like it's running 24/7 for the first day, after that the cooling should be balanced.
If the refrigerant charge is correct and the refrigerator is running 100% of the time everything in the refrigerator compartment would be frozen.
Hope this helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here