Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jean_popowitz

Lacanche Ranges part 39

Jean Popowitz
15 years ago

It's time for a new post! Several of you should be taking delivery soon--can't wait to hear all about it!

Doug--that's a lot of real estate transactions! Thanks for the alt-0 info. Is there a chart somewhere that gives symbol shortcuts? As for the thermometer, all my kitchen gadgets were left behind in the move last year. The packers missed a drawer I guess. Many of my old favorite utensils from when I was first married are gone. Just hadn't gotten around to replacing all the thermometers because of the reno.

Here is a link that might be useful: Part 38

Comments (150)

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Oh boy: now I really need to get our pix out. I am SO blown away by your kitchen! VERY different from ours (as you'll see if I ever get pix done) but I love it just the same. In the end, I think a lot of it is whether you can feel a sense of care and commitment in how a kitchen goes together, more than any specific style. And do I sense that about this kitchen of yours. Congrats. As you saw above, we're still working out a few kinks, but we are loving cooking on the range, especially with our incredibly efficient vent hood. So, when's the next kitchen going up?

• pirula
    15 years ago

Igloo that is beautiful.....

May I ask what the dimensions of your kitchen are please?

Thanks!

• clinresga
    15 years ago

I love my range, but an equally big part of this is how happy I am with Art Culinaire. Some of you saw my Thanksgiving eve post about losing the igniters on our Cluny. I emailed AC that night just to be first in line after the holiday, but got an email back that night from Chelsea at 10pm saying that they would take care of things.

The problem turned out to be intermittent. Gregg at AC contacted me as promised, suggested some possible culprits, and authorized a service call. However, we've held off as the problem has not recurred since the Sunday after T-giving.

So, I'm already very happy with AC's response, when lo and behold in today's UPS delivery are two bottles of wine from Chelsea to make up for the problem happening on Thanksgiving. Man, that's the way to keep me happy!

Bottom line: can you imagine anyone at Wolf, or Viking, or Williams Sonoma (if you got an Aga) sending wine as an apology? It is so nice having personal contacts at AC who know me, my range, and who are dedicated to making it a wonderful experience.

So, apologies for the unpaid advertisement, but boy am I happy with my Lacanche!

• jimnjuju
    15 years ago

Hi

My husband and I just took delivery of our new portuguese blue Lacanche. We are so excited we opened the crate took a peek and had to close it back up as we are waiting for our house renovation to catch up. I have read all the posting I can't wait to turn it on. Happy new year! JuJu

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Wow: new color for me. Pictures please!!!

• jimnjuju
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, it is all crated up again. Portuguese Blue is slightly lighter than French blue. It is a Sully 1800. We can't wait ti fire it up. We are planning on using subway tiles with a few antique Delft tiles mixed in as the backsplash.

Jim

• drec1500
    15 years ago

It's been a while since I've posted to this thread..too busy cooking! Ha! We started using our Sully+2 the summer of '07 and I've had a chance to try all sorts of things with it.

I opted for a Sully with two warming cabinets, Two ovens, one gas the other electric convection, on the stovetop, one big burner, two normal, a french cooktop and an electric griddle.

I use the warming cabinets a lot, more than I thought I would so I can highly recommend them if you are on the fence about them. I dont use the French cooktop as much as I thought I would but it comes in really handy when it is put into service, keeping sauces warm, an extra burner, multiple pots and pans in action on it..etc. The one thing that I am torn about is the griddle. I pretty much only use it for pancakes and french toast, once it heats up (15-20 minutes) it works great but for anything other than the breakfast thing it is an absolute bear to clean. So if I were to do it again, I think I would get two burners and the Lacanche cast iron griddle to put on top of them.

LOVE the gas oven...I've been making amazing roasts of all kinds...beef, birds...it cooks great...cleaning it is a pain but that's another story. I'm not 100% sold on the convection oven...you cant turn off the convection function which would have been nice...things cook unevenly...you have to turn it lest the side facing the fans overcooks...but I don't know if this is part of the whole convection oven experience in general or unique to the Lacanche.

I haven't figured out how to set the temperature for it for cakes and other baked goods, do you just turn down the temp 25%, less cooking time?...still experimenting to find the sweet spot. It does make REALLY good pizzas though....

But the verdict is that it is a sweet cooking machine, old school analog that looks fantastic and produces wonderful food for friends and family. We had 20 adults and 8 children over for a sit down lunch this past fall...Two six rib standing rib roasts a couple of sides, bernaise sauce made at the moment...and 5 kilos of baked chicken wings with an spicy asian ginger glaze for the kids..Dessert was caramelized pears and apples done on the stovetop with spices over ice cream. All followed by drinks in the study...

The kitchen was humming the wine was flowing and the Sully was performing like it was designed to....Passed that test with flying colors. Woo!

• pianocook
    15 years ago

Hi Drec1500--sounds fun! I'm in the "doing the dishes in the bathtub" phase still, so am hungering for photos of Lacanche in Action! Can you post a photo of your Sully, including all patina? And all you others out there, too....? I know there's a thread out there called "Kitchens in Action" and it would be great to see all the Lacanche cooks out there post LCs doing their jobs :)
    Thanks!

• vineyard
    15 years ago

I just created a Lacanche group and would like to invite everyone to join and post pics of their Lacanche...I will have photos taken of mine soon! Believe it or not, she's still in the garage. :(

Soon, baby, soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lacanche Group

• vineyard
    15 years ago

Sorry! I just realized that since it's a new domain name, it can take up to 72 hours to be "live" in all parts of the world. It's live where I am, but I already heard from others that they couldn't see it yet, either...sorry!

Keeping my fingers crossed that the new website will be live soon for everyone. :)

Aloha,
    Leilani

• vineyard
    15 years ago

Okay, the site is working now (yay!) and here's the link to the Lacanche group:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacanche Group

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I just received my Volnay. Could anyone tell me what depth hood they installed? I'd like to do a 24" and not a 27". Is that ok? Thanks.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

We used a 24'' deep hood liner, but it sits in a large alcove that completely surrounds the range. As a result, it pushes out an additional 4'' or so as it's not mounted totally flush with the backsplash, giving us better coverage. We also went with a markedly overwidth hood--it's 64'' over the 55'' Cluny 1400, and then that in turn is surrounded by the ceiling and walls of the alcove. I love it, as it totally controls even the smokiest/smelliest cooking I can do with absolutely nothing escaping.

The 24'', if mounted directly against the back wall, will only just barely cover the front burners. It's adequate but not optimal. It's a tradeoff between ventilation performance and aesthetics, as well as the bump your head issue.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Thanks, Clinresga. We're not very tall, so our heads should be safe with the 27" deoth. Also, the base cabs are 26" and the wall cabs are 13", so the extra 3" shouldn't be too noticable. I really want the best ventilation I can get, so I think we'll go with the 27".

• clinresga
    15 years ago

cheri: what brand of hood and model are you buying?

We used Modern Aire, in part because for a very modest upcharge we were able to specify completely custom dimensions for our liner. Thus, we could go 64'' wide, NOT a typical off the shelf width. In your case, you could, for example, compromise with a 26'' depth to match the base cabs. It also allows you to compensate for the weird (in the US) width of the LC ranges. Since a Volnay is 39 3/8'' wide, and looking for a minimum of 6'' extra width gets you to a pretty strange width of about 46'', easily done with a custom hood again. But, this is my usual rant on MA hoods (along with the value of remote blowers with silencers) so take it FWIW.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

We're actually going with a Rangecraft. We can't go any wider than 42" because the cabinets are already done. We had originally intended to use a Prestige hood so custom sizing wasn't an option and I thought 48" would use up too much of my wall space. In retrospect, it may have been a better design all the way round but too late now. I will look into having the depth made a tad smaller, though. Thanks for the tip because I wouldn't have thought of that.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

I think 42'' will work fine. Not optimal, but you do get some added "quasi-capture" from the cabinets on either side of the hood acting as vertical wall elements. If you can push out to a 26'' or 27'' depth, that would partially compensate for the narrower width. Should be nice.

PS: I just posted some old pix on another ventilation thread which shows our Cluny. They are still out of date, taken before backsplash went in, but at least they show the range. See the link below.

Post pix of yours asap!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hood for induction

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Clinresga, I've seen (and drooled over) your set up many times and read all your hood posts while researching a hood. Your space is amazing...almost the size as my whole kitchen. I have two questions: How high is your hood mounted from the floor and how are you liking your marble?

• clinresga
    15 years ago

about 36'', high but OK given the config of the hood alcove.

Love it. Yes, it's etching but I'm over that now and it is beautiful--soft and warm, understated, timeless, and the opposite in my mind of cold, hard, speckly makes your eyes water granite (that should generate some flames).

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Clinresga,
    Any chance you're ready to show us some pics of that beautiful, understated, soft, warm marble along with your gorgeous frangipane Cluny1400? I've seen a few teasers but not the whole finished kitchen. We're still waiting on the backsplash and pendant lights, and a few other minor details and then I'll post pics of ours.

We are enjoying the range tremendously and since it's been up and running have only eaten out once! I second your advice on not skimping on the hood and making sure it's big enough. DH and I learned so much from your hood plans and ended up with a Best by Broan exterior blower with a hood that is 29 inches above our cooktop with 1500 cfm's. It's plenty powerful enough and pretty quiet, unless on full force, than it sounds like you're in an airport, but it gets rid of all the smoke and smells.

I'm so glad we went with the 1400. I use the warming cupboard almost every day. It is one of my favorite features. The range doors are sturdy without being heavy, but I agree that the underneath drawers could be more substantial. We got the french top, but haven't used it yet. Use the griddle all the time (that was an accessory) and are very pleased with the cooktop.

If I could improve the design, I would 1) make the inside oven doors less sharp around the edges when you open them 2) have the oven racks slide more easily 3) add lights that show when you have a burner on and 4) add oven lights. I bought an inexpensive oven liner for both ovens that can be put in the dishwasher, so I don't mind that it dosen't have self-cleaning ability. I've gotten used to the oven size and used it as an excuse to get some really nice pans from WS! At first, I was worried that we didn't have the extra wall oven with convection like you got, but can honestly say, haven't missed it. (Of course, I've never had a convection oven, so don't really know what it would be like. We did get a microwave with convection, but haven't used that feature yet.)

Anyway, I haven't chatted with you in a long time and saw your posts and wanted to say hi and see how you are enjoying your kitchen :)

• lippi
    15 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I am so happy that I found this site and thread. I bought a house that came with a Cluny. It is such a lovely range, but I am having some vexing problems with it and I am hoping some of you can help me out.

The issue is the electric oven. Actually there are a few issues but they may be related. First, the temp, in the back of the oven is markedly hotter than in the front. Second, a bad smell often comes from this oven and there is a lot of brown gunk on the thin chrome vent above the door (I don't have this on the gas side). I don't have a manual or anything. My husband has tried to adjust or refit the door, but no luck there, although we don't really know what we're doing!

Also, there is some rust both on the french top and the cookie sheets that I think came with the range. What is the best way to treat these? Is it normal that the FT is a big black mess (I don't mind it, just want to know if it was seasoned right and all).

OK, thanks a million!

• ozziep_gmail_com
    15 years ago

Hi Lippi,
    The smell is normal and will go away. LaCanche recommnends that before you use the oven, you need to run the ovens at a high temp for 30 minutes ( don't quote me since it has been 1.5 years since I got mine. ) to burn off the oily solution used to protect it during shipping. Also, what do you mean by French Top. Do you mean the burner tops? If so then blackening is normal. The Patina from the brass, changes color with use and I fell adds character.
    As far as the ovens being hotter in the back,that is also normal since the oven is not a convection. ( which circulates air using the fan) I also experienced this when baking cookies. I find that I have to turn the cookie sheet 1/2 way through cooking. I would suggest going onto LaCanche's website and check out the support page.
    http://www.frenchranges.com/req_support.php
    On it, you can download manuals for support. Also their help desk is very good.
    Hope this helps.
    RE: Lacanche Ranges part 39

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

Hi lippi,

I have been waiting for someone else to give advice since my Vougeot is still in storage but I have experience with French tops from the French kitchens I have worked in. The top is only as messy as you let it be. Although it is normal to darken and stain, there are stones to polish it to like new and oils to keep it from rusting. Spills are always a problem and if you let them build up it just gets worse and harder to clean. Heat is conducted better when the French top is not covered with carbon.

It sounds like the persons before you did not care that well for the range and from the gunk story you tell they liked the electric oven much better than the gas side and never cleaned it. At work the convection oven will brown closer to the fan since that is where the heat comes in. Convection is really just a solution to loading every shelf with trays and have them all cook reasonably the same. Turning is common. If you load only one tray into the regular gas oven and there is sufficient room around the tray, it is reasonable to expect that to cook more evenly front to back than a situation where hot air is blown out of the back of the oven.

I hope this helps

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Chef-Marty,
    I've often wondered how you were doing and if you ever finished your kitchen? From your post, I see your Vougeot is still in storage, but I hope all is well and you will soon be cooking on your Lacanche. We are loving ours, but still working on the finishing touches for our kitchen. Your input was some of the inspiration I needed to make my decision and I just wanted to say thank you!

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

Hi pluckymama,

Thanks for remembering me. The work is forever continuing but now we are getting close. All of the doors and windows are being hand constructed and must be installed before the cabinets and then the black granite (yes, cold, hard, speckly makes your eyes water granite)then the tile and then the lacanche. I have been promised the finish to be by the end of April. They have been working on other parts of the house and not too much has been done to the kitchen. As soon as I have some kitchen pictures I'll get them on the site.

Hello to all my Lacanche friends.

Marty

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Hi plucky: a belated reply to your request for information. I am a sluggard when it comes to posting pictures: the kitchen is 99.5% done, though unfortunately not 99.5% paid for (my contractor took the check for the countertop installers and used it himself, so we now have a lien on the house--waiting to see if contractor lives up to his vows to pay it off--but in this economy, finding work is awfully tough, so we'll see).

For some reason I have a very difficult time uploading pix to any online site, so I've not gotten around to it, but I will.

In the meantime, we too have been very happy with the 1400. We too find we use the warming cabinet all the time, love the large size as we can hold a lot there. Not as well-controlled from a humidity standpoint as a fancy warming drawer but much better than using an oven.

We also use the griddle regularly, and the french top very rarely. In fact, I just ordered a second set of grates that I can use over the French top burner, making into a second Classique-type open burner. For big meals, I've wanted the ability to, say, boil a big stockpot of pasta while searing at the same time. This gives me the ability to have two 18K BTU burners simultaneously.

I'd agree with your wish list, especially racks that would pull out. With a heavy pan, my racks are basically immobile, so I have to carefully work the pot out without burning hands. I do find I use the Miele wall oven as my first line, honestly mostly because it's easier to use--it's mounted at waist height so I can get in/out without stooping, and the racks glide well. Still I do use the LC ovens frequently and have no complaints--I knew they were smaller than standard and that doesnt bother me.

My other wish list is automatic gas flow flame sensors that would shut the gas off if the flame is extinguished. I have on one occasion found the simmer burner set on low with no flame. Fortunately did not blow up the house, but it makes me a tad nervous. I didn't really think about it until I realized recently that the European LC's apparently do have this feature, but Gregg at AC says they are completely different internally and the sensors cannot be retrofitted. Oh well, I just watch it carefully.

Still, overall I love this thing and love cooking on it. ^ months later, if offered the chance to swap it out for any comparably priced unit, I'd refuse in a nanosecond.

So, pix soon I hope and waiting for more from you.

• cinamom
    15 years ago

clingresga, your comments about how you have been using the griddle/french top/burners is really nice information to have and particularly timely for me. I just minutes ago put down our deposit on the Volnay we've been drooling over and was wondering what, if any accessories I should add. I think the second set of grates just might be worthwhile for the type of cooking we are usually do. It may sound silly, but I feel kind of like I did when I found out I was pregnant with our daughter: really excited, but with just a tinge of "OMG, there's no going back now". :)

Thanks to you all for your generous sharing of your experiences. It made the decision making much easier.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Well, so far, our experience has been rewarding, like having the first child. Let's hope it stays more rewarding that the subsequent dealings with a teenager.

Re the grates: Gregg did suggest that you can heat a large pot on the French top by taking out the center round cover. I tried it, but could barely get the water up to a simmer, while the Classique burner had it boiling furiously in the same amount of time, so I think for my purposes the extra grates will be useful, esp when entertaining.

• karlarobson
    15 years ago

Hi all,

I have been following the Lacanche forums for a couple of years. We moved into our new home a year ago, and I wanted to share some pictures of our Cluny-inspired kitchen. It's a dream come true!

KRobson

• masol
    15 years ago

Hello to Chef Marty and Ozzy and everyone:

First of all, thanks so much for your help to my post back in Feb. about the smell and gunk from my new-to-me Lacanche electric oven. I posted and then couldn't find this site again--I need to use bookmarks!

Ozzie, the smell is not the "new oven smell" because this is a used range. So maybe it just needs to be cleaned as Marty thought? Does this happen to you all when your oven needs cleaning?

Is there an easy place for me to find cleaning instructions, or do any of you have tried and true methods you like?

I was convinced that the door was not sealing right, and this is because of both the gunk and the really uneven temps. I've had ovens that I needed to flip sheets before, but this one is wild--if you let a cake go even a little longer than half baking time the top of the back side of it will just brown up way before it should. It seems TOO uneven to me, almost like the back of the oven is on and the front off, but perhaps it is the case that one just needs to be really diligent about flipping? This is a bit of a down-side for me, because I am often tending to multiple things while baking, but I guess I will need to start wearing a timer around and deal with it. I would love to hear more from you all if this corresponds to your experience just because I want to be sure my range is in good working order. (NB The electric oven is not a convection oven, does that change your previous opinion, Marty?)

As for the French Top, Marty if you have any information on the stones and oils and how one uses those I would love to hear. I don't need for it to be pristine, but do want it to heat well and efficiently. I have used some peanut oil on it just because it seems so prone to rust. Do they stay this way forever (prone to rust) or do they eventually build up a patina over time? Whatever the case, the FT is awesome for cooking! As is the gas oven which makes the best pizza and the bread is great, too. They make up for the problems on the electric side. I do need to use analog thermometers on both sides, again a little hassle but one I can live with. Better these issues than some crazy beeping computer (I really love the simplicity and tactility of the knobs), but I did come from a sweet little miele wall oven, and I have to say that for the pure pleasure of baking I did prefer it. Certainly more foolproof, anyway.

And one more question ... my husband thinks the gas smell seems too strong, just because it is stronger than other ranges we've experienced. Is this the case for you all? I mean, you don't want this thing on for a second without the hood ... same for you?

I'm glad to see so many love this range!

Thanks so much!

I think I might try to post some pictures to you guys at some point, but for now I'm glad just to have found the website...

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

Hi masol,

Yep, that's a door problem. Since I have yet to use my lacanche I am not really able to help too much but if there is a seal on that door, that is where i would start looking. Cold air coming in through this seal would cool off the front of the oven and explain the gunk above. If the door closes well, the hinges are probably OK and not bent from someone standing on the door or something stupid like that.

I haven't used a French top in years. Let me think.... I do not remember oiling them since it was in constant use and we did not really care if it was pristine, just sanitary. We did our black and blue steaks right on the cast iron. Peanut oil would be good in this case but will get gunky and black. Like our sharping stones, vegetable oil is not recomended since it gets thick like glue and on a heated metal, carbonized.

We used the same stones diners use to clean their griddles where they cook their eggs and pancakes. See your local restaurant supply house. If you do not cook right on the metal like we did, probably a very light coating of machine oil is best but will smell when you heat it up just like when it was new. That is what the factory does.

By the way, I am doing the opposite of our other friends. Since i will only use the French top from time to time. I am getting the big burner and a portable simmer plate instead of the regular French top and then extra grates. Fits my needs better and less to store.

Marty

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Chefmarty: either scenario works pretty well. In my case, I keep the French top on routinely, with the stainless steel cover on, and use it as work space. In the less common situations where I need more than 5 burners, I can then just uncover the FT. I love using the SS cover as workspace as I can be totally confident it's heatproof and can dump things straight from burner or oven onto it. Then, if I need a second large burner, I swap out the FT for the extra set of grates we ordered.

In terms of storage, I figure it's a choice of storing the extra grates, or the portable simmer plate, not a huge difference in either weight or size. Now it's true that the LC came with the portable simmer plate anyway, but that's in the basement storage room since I can't really see needing it.

We are basically in agreement, that it's nice to have a second 18K burner at times, in preference over a FT, but I'm happy to have both options, just as you are.

PS: thanks for the advice on oiling the FT etc.

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

So is it really that simple to change from a FT to an 18k? Is there no difference in the basic stove? If I wanted to make the switch to a real FT I could? And also if you wanted to go from FT to 18k the stove will look like it was designed for it? Cool!

I can only offer these pictures of the kitchen being tiled right now. The wire coming out of the wall is where the Fornair hood will go. It is made by LC and will match the maroon glace and stainless steel perfectly. I have been promised that the house will be done (But not the land) by the end of April. Fortuantely Berloni (cabinets) has a 33% discount right now so I get to save SOMETHING. Whew! if I knew then what I know now would I have done it? At least I got out of the market when the gettin' was good.

{{gwi:1451424}}

{{gwi:1451425}}

• wascolette
    15 years ago

Krobson-- your kitchen is so lovely. I especially love you backsplash behind your range. So pretty.

ChefMarty-- can't wait to see the finished kitchen & house when it's done!

We've been using our Cluny since last November. I really love it. The one thing I would do differently is I would have ordered 2 gas ovens instead of one gas and one electric. Although, now thinking about it, I don't even know if that is an option. I just hardly ever use the electric side. I grew up using gas ovens and this is my first time using electric. It works fine and I do like having the broiler, but when I did cookies I found them more dry somehow. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

wascolette,
    I use the gas oven for meats and casseroles and the electric side for all my baking. I love both. How are you enjoying your beautiful kitchen you waited so long for?

Chefmarty, so excited to see the work being done on your kitchen. Yours is one I've been waiting to see and I'm really excited for you!

• wascolette
    15 years ago

Plucky, I'm just loving our kitchen. Love cooking on the Cluny. I can't imagine any other range in its place. I noticed the link to my pictures that I previously posted was lost so posting pics again. How is your kitchen coming along? Is it all done?

• clinresga
    15 years ago

wascolette: what a beautiful kitchen. Love the island, the way the arch frames the view of the kitchen, and of course the Cluny. Thanks for the pix.

plucky: how is it going? If you post pix, I'll post more.

• lamermaid
    15 years ago

All of your kitchens are absolutely beautiful. I WAS leaning towards AG Wolf/Bluestar but... these french ranges are gorgeous- the only problem is that I'm not sure if I have the space, everyone seems to have very large ranges. I only have the room for a 30" up to 36", but would prefer the extra counterspace beside the range- so that leaves me with 30". Any recommendations for this size in a french range. Any info would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

• chef-marty
    15 years ago

Hi wascolette. Nice job! I could work in peace in that kitchen.

Hi pluckymama. It has been a long long road. I can't believe that it will finally be reality. The LC should be delivered at the end of the month and installed after the counters in early May.

I appreciate the support from everyone.

Let's try to snag a new member! lamermaid. Here is a link to the cormatin page at Fench ranges. It is only about 28" and is so cute! It also comes in many stylish colors besides the predictable black, red, blue, geen etc. Lots of configurations also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacanche Cormatin at French Ranges

• sageabf
    15 years ago

wascolette - Would you be willing to share the manuf. of your cabinets and sink/faucet? Beautiful kitchen!

• chef-marty
    14 years ago

So my fine family of french range lovers,

It looks like FINALLY I'm next. The cabinets go in this Thursday, the granite will be cut after they take the final measurements, the Lacanche will be delivered on the 18th and we arrive in Puglia on the 22nd. It can't be real because for 2 and a half years I've done very little but dream of my kitchen in the food basket of Italy and it never came...until now. What will it be like?

The builder has refused to send me any new photos to keep the suspense high. OK, I can take it. Sounds like fun to me.

I'll be back on the 8th of June. If I can get pics up before that I will but I will not have my computer with me.

Thanks for sharing the suspense with me!

• clinresga
    14 years ago

Chef Marty: I love Lacanches in any kitchen, but the thought of a dream range in a dream kitchen in Puglia is just too much to contemplate. We are all collectively dying to see pix and live vicariously through you.

• frenchman
    14 years ago

What's so terrible about these Lacanche threads is that once one looks at a 36" range, a 39" one isn't that much bigger, and would give one (me!) two ovens including (joy) an electric one. Too bad that comes at double the price of the already expensive Blue star I am leaning towards :-( A French range would of course have been fitting for me.

Cooking-wise (esp. burners) has someone done a real comparison of the two (LC vs BS)?

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

Chef-marty,
    So excited for you. Your 2 1/2 years of waiting are almost over and soon you will be cooking up a storm on your beautiful Lacanche! So happy for you!

Frenchman, the Lacanche is expensive. I agree a french range would have been fitting considering your posting name. I think the main comparison done between the LC and BS is over the quality of the materials used and the craftsmanship of the LC and their amazing customer service. BS gives you some very powerful burners, but there have been some unhappy customers who have posted in the past about BS's lack of support, technical difficulties and standing behind their product, hopefully that has been resolved. I can only speak for the amazing support and customer care I have received from Art Culinaire who sells the Lacanche in USA. If you get a BS, I hope you are one who has a good experience, as those that do, rave about their range.

• cheri127
    14 years ago

When I started planning my kitchen almost two years ago and found this forum, I was sold on Bluestar (I had a DCS dual fuel)but then decided on induction. I love induction but DH wanted fire and there were no decent induction ranges so we ended up getting a Lacanche Volnay...a very expensive impulse purchase that I've had second thoughts about since I sent AC the check many months ago. I still wasn't convinced we did the right thing after it was delivered.

Well, I cooked on it for the first time tonight (even though the kitchen's nowhere near finished) and all I can say is WOW!!!! I love, love, love it. Not only is it beautiful but the burners are wonderful. I finally understand what everyone was raving about. I actually felt excited about my new kitchen for the first time in a long time. Thank you to everyone here who enticed me to try it.

• wascolette
    14 years ago

Love seeing the Lacanche thread get active again.

Chef Marty -- Thank you for the compliment. Waiting with held breath to see your spectacular kitchen.

frenchman --
    It's been a few years since we paid for our Cluny. To tell you the truth I now forget how much it actually cost us until once in a while I run across a copy of the invoice. It's a splurge, yes, but well worth it. You'll have it for years and years and will hopefully forget how expensive it was.

cheri127 -- What a great experience for you! Not only is it beautiful but it is a work horse too! Enjoy.

sageabf -- Our cabinets were custom made by a local cabinet maker who also happens to be friends of ours. Great price. Great work. One draw back is that there are a few minor things he still needs to finish up months later. Oh well. Our sink is a Rohl 30" fireclay.

• cheri127
    14 years ago

As a Lacanche novice, I'm still getting used to some of the differences between my Volnay and my old DCS but one thing that's really bothering me is how close to the front of the range I have to put my pans to have them centered on the front burners. The pan comes right to the edge and I get spattered and so does the floor. Are they all like this (ie. Cluny etc) and if so, please tell me I'll get used to it. I love the way the machine cooks but I may have to invest in a few aprons unless someone has some tips for me. Thanks.

• chef-marty
    14 years ago

So Finally everyone, I have cooked on my Lacanche! It did not change my life by itself but having my house in Italy might.

Might first impression and this relates directly to our new member cheril27, "If you buy professional equipment, you will make a professional mess!" I missed Luis and Raul as I cleaned the spattered olive oil off everthing. The stove is very to clean and did not mind it. In the outskirts where we are. we use bottled gas and the range made funny buzzing sounds like the sound effects they use when dipicting buzz bombs over London. The flames where very hot. I could only simmer on the smallest flame. I really like the simmer cabinet. It is a super crock pot and will be a great help when I do a formal 6-7 course dinner. I bought a plancha (flat griddle) and I love it. Besides the French toast and hash brown thing, it will double as a French top when I need it. The hood by fornair is fantastic. Really pulls the air up and out with great light. In Italy it is law that there be thermocouples to stop the gas if there is no flame. Why not here in the US? On my range if the flame goes out the gas is shut off. Makes sense no? According to French Ranges this is not available here. I love the range with no qualms at all. I am yet another one who sight unseen spent more money than I should have by far and I am walking away content with my purchase. My favorite thing? The maroon glace. The kitchen just would not have had the same finess without it. Here are two shots of the nearly completed kitchen. It still need some warming up but I'm happy.

{{gwi:1451428}}

{{gwi:1451429}}

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

Congratulations! What an amazing space! When is the party?

• zuzubelle
    14 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful space, congratulations! It looks like a chapel with that amazing vaulting. Question: do you have a dedicated, buried gas tank for the range? I'm helping my mother remodel her kitchen in Italy and she's currently using small, portable tanks for her range. Just wondering how big your tank is.