Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AEG cooktop repair

Posted by dccnm (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 12:29

My beloved AEG 88100k (installed in 2004) won't turn on today. No lights. I checked the power source--wires are getting electricity to the unit. Made certain the lock button wasn't on and the power button was on. (As much as one can when there are no lights). Anyway, does anyone know if I can get an authorized repair person in CT? I can't tell you how much I love this cooktop....:-(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AEG cooktop repair--update and question

So sad.....I spent the day dealing with this. The Canadian company we purchased it from suggested we find a Bosch or Miele service company and see if they would be willing to come evaluate it. Took many phone calls until one would agree but as I told him the symptoms, he said it sounded like the "mother board" equivalent and that I should first see what the cost of the part would be.

Called Canada back (why aren't people in the US this nice???) and learned that:

1. the Canadian service guy agreed with the likely diagnosis
2. the part may not even be obtainable
3. it would cost nearly $1400!

The service guy said these cooktops almost never need repair after only 9 years and that the new ones are better (of course) and also have less expensive parts. He wasn't the sales person but clearly thought another AEG would be the way to go.

As I said, I LOVE my AEG, but there now are other induction cooktops available in the US. Anyone care to weigh in? Certainly being confronted with it taking a day to even get someone to agree to come look at it is sobering. If I buy one here at least it can get serviced.

UGH!

o
RE: AEG cooktop repair

Sorry to hear the bad news. I would be reluctant to spend $1,400 to fix a 9 year old appliance, If you can get a repair person to come over and look at it for about $100 or so, that might be worth it on the off chance he finds some loose wire or something easy. Otherwise, I think you need to start looking for new.

o

No, I agree. No repair. I have to get a new cooktop. The delimma is, what brand? Now that there are many available in the US it seems to make the most sense to purchase one that can be serviced here. Now on to research!

o

If you need a control board out of warranty , then no matter the brand you pick - it'll be BIG $$$.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here