Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kberm_gw

Miele 4844 wall oven

kberm
11 years ago

I just bought this oven and there are 2 things I can't figure out. Unfortunately tech support from Miele has been useless.

For one, the oven light comes on whenever I turn on a program, and it stays on until I shut the oven off. It doesn't respond to the door being open or closed. I can't imagine this is normal. Suspect it is a programming issue.

Second, it takes 45 minutes to preheat on the bake function. I also find it takes longer to preheat on other cycles, as compared to my prior Jenn Air.

I would appreciate any experience people hae. Thank you.

Comments (8)

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

My oven light has 2 modes, always on, which sounds like how it's set on your oven, and on for 1 min when door opens then it goes off automatically. That's how I have mine. To reset go to on, more, more, settings, oven light to adjust.

I don't use bake very often, just for dumb stuff as I like other settings better. But I was told per-purchase during my due diligence that to fully preheat it takes at least 30 mins. I know that now and adjust accordingly.

I usually use intensive or convection bake.

• kberm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much for this. Sorry but I'm a bit confused about the instructions to reprogram the light. Can you again explain what buttons I have to push?

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

You are basically going to select "settings" then scroll through the options there. On my oven (which is a master chef series so slightly different)you have two options for controlling the oven light. A good deal on your oven looks the same so the expectation is that you can set the oven light to turn on when the door opens and then turn itself off a minute later.

However, to be sure I linked the online manual below. The manual is on a small tab at the very bottom of the page.
    P 15 tells you how to change the status of a setting -- how to scroll through that menu for the various options.
    If there are no options for oven light in the settings menu then that might not be available.

I'd call Miele tech support back if you cannot find it in the online manual -- they should be able to tell you whether the oven light option is available in the chef series ovens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manual

• kberm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again. I've been this route. It's not in the customer settings, I suspect it is in the service menu but not sure how to access it. I was hoping someone might know. I have phoned tech support twice on this, they have no idea, promise to phone me back, and don't.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

I must apologize because I fear I led to frustration for you. My Masterchef definitely has the option of changing the light setting -- it came up recently on a different thread.

The chef series doesn't have that same option. I often can reach someone there to get answers and they confirmed that the chef series light goes on when the oven is programmed and goes off when the program ends or it's turned off.

• kberm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for all your trouble. At least I know it isn't a malfunction. And BTW, you were definitely not the source of my frustration. My experience with Miele customer service has been less than stellar. Cheers.

• mr_wash
    11 years ago

Hi kberm
    The light in your model oven will stay whilst using your oven, there is no option to turn it off. I would recommend you use the rapid heat mode to get your oven to temp. and then select the mode you want as per the instruction manual.This function activates all heating elements thus reducing heat up times. Hope this helps

• kberm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very helpful, thanks.