Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
detox99

Will a 30" Cooktop Be To Small?

Detox
9 years ago

Currently in the process of a kitchen remodel. I am torn between the 30" Wolf (4 burners) and the 36" Wolf (6 burners).

The 30" will fit perfectly in the space and allow for good use of surrounding cabinetry space, the 36" will fit but will require some additional rejigging.

My main concern is cooktop real estate space. I rarely intend to run four burners at the same time, generally probably only two. With my setup right now it's hard to tell because I am cooking on a 24" apartment size stove and it feels a little cramped but works.

For those of you that have a 30" cooktop, do you feel cramped and are constantly needing/wanting more space?

For those of you that have a 36" cooktop do you feel like a lot of the stove is rarely used?

You thoughts/comments greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Detox

Comments (17)

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

I think it depends on your cooking style. Do you do the majority of the cooking, or do you cook in tandem with someone else often? Do you use two large pans on a frequent basis, or a large one and a few smaller ones? We are in the process of remodeling and are going from a 30" to a 36" range b/c we find ourselves cramped. But we do a lot of cooking, my DH and I often cook together, and we regularly use 3 burners, and quite often we have needed another 1-2, so we have to stagger cooking things, and pots we'd ideally like to keep on simmer have to be off the stove entirely to make room for other pots/pans. It works on a 30" but when we use our large pans (which is almost every day), we can't use neighboring burners with another big pot or pan. We find we bump into each other when we are both at the stove, so we have to stand at an angle to the stove, and so we've opted to go larger.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Are you the only cook? Do others sometimes cook as well? That would make a big difference, as malabacat said.

I am the only cook and I can always fit the big pots and skillets on my 30" range. And I have some really large ones. I usually cook at least one full meal a day from scratch.

I must admit, the range may get more crowded now that I added the big Chef King griddle that covers two of the large burners, leaving only one large and the simmer burners when the griddle is in place. But almost always that will be enough.

My kitchen is fairly small--the working area is about 10 x 15' not counting the eating area where we eat all family meals. I would have loved to have a 36" range with some of the perks the larger size offered. Did I need it? Nope. Did I want to give up 6" of base cabinets and 6" of wall cabinets? Nope. Do I regret it? Yep, BUT I would do the same thing again.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

As the others said, it depends on you. My 30" is plenty for me. There are never two people cooking at the same time. I can fit two large or medium and two small pots or pans simultaneously -- that's more than I usually need.

• Detox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I am generally the only person in the house cooking. My wife will is generally helping with other aspects of the meal, but I would be the only one that is actually using burners. My kids aren't anywhere near ready to be the around the stove either.

My cooking style is usually a large pan (big skillet) and maybe a couple of small pots or one large pot and a couple of small pots.

The 6" of base cabinet seems to be a big deal, because that will mean the difference between storing pots and pans near the range and not. The kitchen itself is around 15'x10' and the range will be on an 8' wall so I don't think the 30" will look undersized.

Is 30" normal cooking size and 36" a cooking luxury?

Cheers,
    Detox

• julieste
    9 years ago

I'd say I have a 30" Wolf range, and it is sufficient for the two of us. And, it is sufficient when I host large family gatherings.

We too had contemplated giving up 6" of counter space on one side of the range in order to fit in a 36" one. We decided that we would prefer to have that extra 6" of landing space. Also, FWIW, a friend bought a 5 burner, 30" Electrolux a year ago thinking that this would be the great compromise rather than getting a 36" range. I asked her the other day if she uses the 5th burner, and she says she never has. They are empty nesters, but they entertain a lot.

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

It sounds like the 30" will be fine for you. Counter space and storage space are important considerations for sure. I had a 30" for the last two decades and it's been fine. But since we do cook a lot, and with the remodel we'll have a larger kitchen space, we opted for the 36" since we could. And I think the 36" is going to feel luxuriously large when we finally get it.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

That 6" can be very important. It was to me. It wasn't the 6" of counter space. It was the 6" of space in every drawer in a stack. And I knew I was short of drawer space.

Consider that it is in the CENTER of the drawers, not at the edges. You lose storage at the edges of every cabinet. Extra width is ALL storage.

Nevertheless, as I said, it isn't an easy decision. There is so much to gain from a 36" range. I could have had a built-in grill! And still had four burners. But that drawer space was essential. For me.

If you don't really need the storage, I would say go with the 36" and get a really good range with a built in grill or griddle, if you can swing the $$. If you are only looking at four burners and more top area, stay with the 30". If you are looking at six burners, I would say stay with the 30" and gain the extra storage. I very seldom need six burners.

• jellyben
    9 years ago

We are replacing our countertops so felt this was the time to go from 30 to 36. The problem with my 30in cooktop was not so much the size but the layout of the burners-too close together with the knobs on the side. I was torn between a 30in with the burners separated and a 36 in and just decided to go 36.

• tinyhomebuilder
    9 years ago

My wife and I have no problems both cooking together on our 24"...

We have a very small kitchen and did not want some big clunky monstrosity overpowering the room, so we scaled the stove to fit our space.

Just an example of how you can enjoy just about any size stove. ; )

This post was edited by tinyhomebuilder on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 3:16

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

I guess one question is whether you have ever wanted more cooktop space? I love the 39" size of our range and am replacing it with a same size range. I love having a heat proof landing strip for when things come out of the oven and that my pots have enough space (there are differences among 30" cookstops on how well they can, for instance, have multiple 12" pans next to each other so shop carefully). You can have this landing strip with a trivet too so it's not really a reason to get a bigger range but I don't know that many people who use all burners at once often (or ever) on their 36"+ ranges.

The main advantage IMHO of the 30 over the 36 is the smaller oven (some would have the opposite opinion). A 30" oven is generally a lot faster to heat up and can serve most needs including a large turkey. I've wanted two ovens but never a bigger one, but that's also just me. Think about your own preferences and apply them accordingly. Good luck!

• Fori
    9 years ago

Going from a 24", you'll be pleased with a 30". :)

I've had both and find a 30" to be just dandy. For more space, check out not the cooktops but the rangetops. They afford a little more cooking space.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

What fori said, look into a range top. I went from a 36" cooktop to a 36" range, and WOW! ...I feel like I'm cooking on a football field now :)

• Detox
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By the 30" Range Top (vs cooktop) are you referring to a the cooking surface for a full a range (eg oven underneath)?

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

A range top is the same as a range without the oven below. The controls are on the front, affording a larger work area than a cooktop. They are deeper though, so you won't get a top drawer under it.

• pamela233
    9 years ago

Is it possible to install a range top in the same way as a cooktop? That sounds great!
    We are in the planning stage of a reno and I had planned on replacing my 30" electric cooktop with a 36" gas cooktop. But, I agree that the range tops look wonderful. Are there any special considerations for installing a range top versus cooktop?

• localeater
    9 years ago

I really wanted a 36" inch but like you it would have meant sacrifice to layout and storage. I realized that I wanted it but that I didnt need it.
    I cook a lot, from scratch all meals, I make my own bread, yogurt, jams, I can, etc.
    I have two children, I entertain,
    But it was still a want, not a need. I realized my parents raised 5 kids, and my grandmother 13 in smaller kitchens with smaller stoves. I let go of my want.
    It has been 2 years, I do not regret my kitchen. I love the functional flow of my space.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Get the 30 and also buy a portable single induction cooktop/hob for approx 80 on amazon. You will love it. You can keep the induction stored away until you need the fifth burner. It cooks superbly, better and quicker than gas. Xcleans way easier too. Best of both worlds

I've read about families who ignore the fancy gas and wait in line to use the induction...I have gas in a beach cottage and induction in the main house and there is no contest, induction is better.

This spring we bought an arizonahouse with a nice electric smooth top and that also works nicely . Better than I expected but nowhereas wonderful as induction. Lg y