Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Microwave drawer

sjhockeyfan325
10 years ago

We're going to be doing a new kitchen, which is galley style (one 13' wall and a 13' island). In our last home, we had a spacemaker microwave on a shelf at eye level, which worked well. In our current apartment, we have a micro-hood over the range, and it's just too high. Due to space constraints in our new condo, we're thinking about putting a microwave under the counter in the island. Does a Sharp microwave drawer make sense (we know they're very pricey, but if it's the best solution, we'll live with it)? Are they reliable? How deep of a storage drawer can you put under the microwave drawer? Can the front be paneled?

Comments (13)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Are they reliable?

They are made in the USA by Sharp. That is about as reliable as it gets but no line is defect or lemon free.

How deep of a storage drawer can you put under the microwave drawer?

The cutout is 14 13/16" high. You can place as big as a storage drawer as will fit underneath that.

Can the front be paneled?

No.

Does a Sharp microwave drawer make sense

Considering use of space, ergonomics, price/value it made the most sense to me.

Ultimately, you can only decide what makes the most sense for your space and budget.

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

Hi -

I wrote out this whole reply and then forgot that you have to submit twice so I deleted it - argh!

Anyway, we have the Sharp microwave drawer and really like it.

We got the 24" model b/c our cabinet is 27" wide. They also make a 30" model if your cabinet is wider, but the reality is the microwave itself is the exact same size inside, so we liked the fit and saved the $50. :)

Also, we have the "Easy Open" model - there are old models out there which will seem like a bargain, but I really recommend you spend for this one b/c it allows you to use the Open/Close button AND pull/push it manually. I don't mind the speed of the open/close but my hubby gets impatient - it's slower than you're used to where you just pushed a door close.

That said, we really like it! It's convenient, especially for the kids - don't have to worry that they/I am going to spill hot soup on my face anymore! It does a great job cooking. I've been really pleased with the defrost on it which I never used on our old one b/c it would just end up cooking things.

We have ours under our island and then a deep drawer beneath it where we keep all the tupperware (b/c for some reason the microwave and plastic storage seem to go hand-in-hand for us.) I am really happy with that layout.

Here are a few pics - highly recommend it! Let me know if you have any questions about it, and good luck!

Alexa

P.S. Don't get suckered into the Wolf Model! It's made by Sharp and is the exact same microwave except the brand name ... which costs you a pretty penny!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharp

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

>>

that's exactly what I plan to do with the drawer under the microwave. I'm convinced.

• joc6820
    10 years ago

Have had the Sharp for about a year. As others have said above and on other threads: like it. Only issue is it's not as easy to clean as a normally mounted microwave. I'ts down low so access is more difficult and you can't see as easily the stuff that builds up at the top of the oven. Other than that, it's a winner.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks - I'll be sure to delegate the responsibility for cleaning the oven to someone else!

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

Ha! That's exactly what I did - it's on my 9-year old's chore list. She's the chef in the family and likes to make bacon (which she just crumbled in a salad next to me.) So, she has to clean it regularly and I check it once/week or so. She's much closer to the right height! :)

I think you'll be happy with your choice!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If only I had a 9-year old. My 29-year old might object to having to come over to clean my microwave!

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

Hee, Hee! Yeah, I can imagine that conversation would not go well!

When we clean it, I usually wrap a Clorox wipe around a sink brush to give it a first or fast wipe down. That gives you some leverage to reach up and back on the top. The bottom is easy to clean, it's that top back that has you sticking your arm back to clean it. We use cling wrap on any splatter item more religiously now. And if you just wipe it along the way, I don't imagine it will become a huge problem.

I snapped a pic of our Tupperware drawer so you can see the depth of the drawer beneath the microwave. We use it this way, and it's actually really handy bc each container stacks on the next which means we just choose the size we need and pull the top one off. So much better that foraging through horizontal storage where what you need is inevitably always in the back. (The lids are interchangeable.)

That said, we are still in kid lunch land, so you could easily also have bigger storage pieces or even serving pieces down there. It's the same depth as the one I have on the other side that has my glass and mixing bowls, salad bowl etc.

I was originally going to get a peg board for that drawer but it didn't come in a 27" - only 30" or 36" - and I am so glad I didn't. I think I would have lost space to all those pegs.

It sounds like you're on your way - enjoy that new microwave drawer!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's awesome - I love the way you consolidated the covers!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So what's your cooktop :-)? (I'm leaning toward the same microwave and oven as you have, so I thought I'd ask).

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

Hi there!

Sorry I missed your follow up! We have natural gas so we've got a Thermador 36" Professional Series Rangetop (PCG366G.) Like it very much (more powerful than our old crummy one.)

I found the whole kitchen to be like the most difficult puzzle ever. You sort of secure one piece and then have to check the others for fit - and I don't mean specially although that happens too. It's layout and preference and options and handle and finish and on and on! It took me about four months to get all the pieces to fit and make the decisions for our new kitchen and wet bar. It was exhausting!

But, I'm very happy with them now. Some I wouldn't have even know about if I hadn't posted here (like our Miele dishwasher!) so GW is invaluable! Just paying it forward!

:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: 36 inch Professional Series Rangetop PCG366G

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks - too bad we don't have gas available in our new place!

BTW, I designed our last kitchen remodel about 7 years ago myself, meaning without a KD -- my KD was all the great people on this forum. And it was almost perfect!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I designed our last kitchen remodel about 7 years ago myself

Lest you think I'm a serial kitchen remodeler, I'm not - we don't own that house anymore!