Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennyj1953_gw

Wolf S030 wall oven

jennyj1953
10 years ago

I am in the midst of picking out appliances for the new home we're building. Thought I had decided on the Wolf S030 but now I see that Consumer Reports only gave it a dismal 55 rating! Especially bad for self cleaning and baking. Do I believe that and go back to the drawing board or disregard and order anyway? Any personal experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I say order away.

IMO Wolf far better than CR top rated Thermador ME301E.

That particular Thermador is discontinued but you can read two reviews by actual owners in link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reviews

• wekick
    10 years ago

I have a Wolf DF range and the oven bakes wonderfully. I would read about their issues with the blue porcelain liners before you buy Wolf or anything with blue enamel. If you search blue on this forum, you can read about it.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Gaggenau Bosch never had a problem with their blue interiors and everyone else resolved their blue issue 3-5 years ago.

I believe Wekick's range is 4.5 years old.

I suppose there could always be new problems with blue enamel or anything else.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

What you post is pretty much correct deeageaux, EXCEPT, and an important "except", the porcelain problems are still being found on the new (2012-2013) Wolf ovens, and we hope their new model "M", (I think the're called), will be the fix for the porcelain problem----of course we will have to wait and see!

Gary

• wekick
    10 years ago

I am just bringing it to the attention of the OP. They can read for themselves and decide. I will never buy anything with blue again. 5 ovens in three brands is enough for me.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

You would think if these problems were occurring in brand new ovens you would find complaint post/reviews all over the net.

I don't see these negative reviews on the Wolf ovens made the last three years and I read quite a bit on appliances.

And if so is the failure rate higher than comparable ovens with black porcelain.

Anyway the OP can go with Gaggenau 200 Series BO280.

Gagg quadruple glazed side opening door with air cleaning catalyst.

But like I always say if you search hard enough you can find harsh reviews on any appliance.

• kalapointer
    10 years ago

I have a Wolf wall oven that was installed last April and the porcelain has already started to chip and crack in the corners. I don't think Wolf has addressed this problem.

• repac
    10 years ago

We had two Wolf 30" wall ovens installed in March, and they cook like a dream! Everything comes out fabulously well. The evenness of the cooking is exceptional, food is browned nicely and still moist inside. Highly recommended.

• wekick
    10 years ago

Posted by deeageaux
    I don't see these negative reviews on the Wolf ovens made the last three years and I read quite a bit on appliances.

My problems with enamel took 4 years to show up. The repair company in my small market has replaced other DF liners. I didn't ask about wall oven liners but there are even more people talking about them. I think that many people don't even realize that the liner is chipping, think it is normal wear and tear, or just let it go because it is out of warranty and don't realize that it is dangerous to have glass flakes flying around. Most people would be happy if the liner/appliance is replaced under warranty, and Wolf did until recently replace the appliances even when out of warranty for a small fee. You might start hearing more about it now. Here is a recent post from the link below from someone who has had three ovens over 10 years, all replaced by Wolf.

"The beautiful blue enamel has flaked away 3 times. Wolf did replace the ovens twice (first, they sent a certified resurface tech and tried to convince us to allow him to resurface rather than replace. We thanked them, but insisted on a new oven). After the 3rd episode and other problems, frankly I gave up hoping the situation would be permanently fixed."
    There is plenty on this forum about it.

Posted by repac
    We had two Wolf 30" wall ovens installed in March, and they cook like a dream! Everything comes out fabulously well. The evenness of the cooking is exceptional, food is browned nicely and still moist inside. Highly recommended.

This is exactly how I felt 4 mos ago. I had four great years and recommended it on this forum many times. Sadly, I now have to report this aspect of the oven. I waited to see how Wolf would handle it to do this. It is distressing to have such a great oven ruined by something like this.
    Hopefully you have an extended warranty and I would periodically inspect the inside of your oven with a flashlight looking in the corners and bottom over the elements for cracking or crazing. Wolf tried to tell me that crazing is normal but it is the beginning of the end. I would also not use the self clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wolf cooking appliances

• kalapointer
    10 years ago

My Wolf oven was six months out of warranty when I noticed the chipping. The glare from the oven light makes it easy to miss it. When I first started to read on this forum about the chipping, I thought I had better exam my ovens. I used a bright flashlight and saw all the chips in both bottom corners of the upper ovens. I now have new Wolf ovens and the chipping has already started. I will let Wolf know about this persistent problem before the warranty is up this time.